ZZr250 Won't run warm

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

ZZr250 Won't run warm

Postby born2xlr8 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:55 pm

So after a little while mucking about with my bike a cant quite find the soloution to this issue, its a zzr250 when i first start it from cold it revs at about 3k taking little to no choke,, witch im told it should to warm up, but after 5 mins or so after it warms up it drops off and stalls, afterwitch its impossible to start, its got me pretty stuffed, so id like to get this sorted out of anyone has any ideas as its booked in for RWC next friday,

Brett
born2xlr8

Bike: ZZR250
State: Victoria

Re: ZZr250 Won't run warm

Postby Reedy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:19 pm

take off carbs, soak in petrol overnight, put carbs back on, sync carbs, adjust idle

if it still has problems take to mechanic
Reedy
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Honda
State: New South Wales

Postby Ratmick » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:18 pm

Sounds to me like you have water in your float bowls in your carbs.

Have you ridden the bike is a raging downpour/washed her with a high-pressure hose recently?

Drain said water and all will be fine.

Mick 8)
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby born2xlr8 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:07 am

no never been in the rain so long as ive had it, ill give your idea a crack tho Reedy and see how that goes
born2xlr8

Postby Ticketyman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Check your fuel lines not kinked from the tank to carbs.
Z1000
ZX10R
GSXR 1100 WP
Ticketyman
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Suzuki
State: Queensland

Postby born2xlr8 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:44 pm

yeah i noticed today that my fuel tap i think is reversed, it wont go to prime only to On, Fuel, Res, so prob had it set to the wrong place, gonna look into it tomoro, dont want to take it apart tho as ive heard there notorious for leaking,
born2xlr8

Postby born2xlr8 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:56 am

ok so i fixed the tap, seems to have made no diferance, heres what its doing so far,

Cold start. Cranks easy starts almost straightaway with little to no choke, then choke completely removed idles at 3k,

Runs fine for say 10mins as it warms up, ocationally droping the revs to a point where it will stall, but a quick twist gets it to 3k agian,

after 10 mins or once warmed up the revs will drop to a point where it will stall,

after it has stalled it will crank fine, just wont fire, wont bump either, after 15 mins of sitting it will start all good again, then repeat the stalling problem,

Im thinking fuel issue, maybe flooding or someting, i dunno, also whats the genrel wat to start in the morning usually, flick to prime fire and turn to on? or just put it on on,,?

also i have no 0ff setting ,, so where do u leave it after use?
im still pretty new to bike so sorry for all the noob Questions
born2xlr8

Postby Ticketyman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Sounds like a fuel line, as I suggested before. It may have nothing to do with being warm just the fact that while its sitting there a small amount of fuel is getting through so it starts, runs and starves, after sitting it does it again ...check your lines.
Z1000
ZX10R
GSXR 1100 WP
Ticketyman
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Ticketyman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:04 pm

My wife has a ZZR 250 and basically do not move the tap from the on position, only time it gets turned is if she needs to go onto reserve.
Z1000
ZX10R
GSXR 1100 WP
Ticketyman
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby tomithy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:56 pm

If it starts with little to no choke then it sounds like it's set too rich to me. The fact that it stalls once warmed up also indicates this.

Did this symptom just occur? Did it happen after you did something to it?
ZXR750 -> ZX7R. It's an addiction, I tell you.
tomithy
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750

Postby born2xlr8 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:52 pm

tomtom wrote:If it starts with little to no choke then it sounds like it's set too rich to me. The fact that it stalls once warmed up also indicates this.

Did this symptom just occur? Did it happen after you did something to it?

only thing i did was to leave it and not start it for a year, but i didnt realy runt it prior to that, whats the best wat to ajust it, / lean it out?
born2xlr8

Postby tomithy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:17 am

If you've never given the bike a good run, and have left it sitting for a year, then i'd take the carbs apart and give it a solid clean. Then i'd check that all the settings are set to stock - ie. main jets correct, needles set at the right heigh, mixture screws at the correct setting, float levels etc.

The likely culprit IMHO is probably the mixture screw - set it at two turns out and see how you go.

Someone else can jump in with the real factory settings though - I don't know what they are sorry :oops:
ZXR750 -> ZX7R. It's an addiction, I tell you.
tomithy
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750

Postby DanJes » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi There,
I have a similar problem with my ZZR250.
Try this first before you trough the towel.

Clean the carby. i recommend to clean it using ultrasonic cleaner if you know someone that have one.
remove the diaphragm, all the jets and nidle, also removed the pilot screw. People say 2.5 turn out but mine is 3.5 turn out.
soak the carby to ultrasonic cleaner and run 3x 15min. cleaning time with 25 deg. water temp.
after cleaning it blow it with compress air.
Put back all the jets and nidle on the right position. float height is 15mm
upon installing make sure the rubber boot from the air box is inserted properly and all hoses are connected to the right place.

Put the petrol on the carby by connecting to your petrol tank.
before you start spray first a NULON startyabastard spray from the air intake for easy start. chock on. If there's no air leak the bike will screem for about 5 sec. due to NULON after that it will stabilize to 3krpm.turn the chock off slowly
if the bike idel then you can balace the carby.

If you need more help drop me line and see if i can help you. I have a ultrasonic cleaner and also carby balance.

Let me know how did you go.

Cheers
Louie
DanJes

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Return to ZZR Discussion