Bike won't hold charge

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

Bike won't hold charge

Postby marksesh » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:07 pm

My bike 1993 zzr 600 won't hold charge. Does it have an altinator or is it something different. Had the battery checked all is good there. Any thoughts would be great.
Team 4 minutes behind everyone else.
marksesh
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R
State: New South Wales

Re: Bike won't hold charge

Postby waynemorgan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Umm I'm not sure what you mean when you say it won't hold charge? The battery is getting charged but the going flat? Or the battery is not getting charged? What reading do you get when you put a multimeter on the battery while the bike is running? Should have a reading of approx 14v. Usually if it's less than that then your battery is not being charged.

If it's not getting charged then you need to look at the charging circuit - output from the alternator / stator, rectifier/regulator etc. A repair manual will provide the details as to how to diagnose these. Need a multimeter to confirm that you're getting you battery charged and a good workshop manual :D
I don't like the term insane - I prefer mentally hilarious!
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZZR600

Postby kwakkadakka » Sat May 01, 2010 2:14 am

Ditto above. Many possible issues here. Is it hard to start? And, if so, how? Long time cranking for no result, slow cranking all the time, gradual reduction of cranking speed over time or what??? You say you've had the battery checked. How was the battery "checked"? A battery can register 12v when it's just sitting there and be rooted. You've got to have a basic understanding of how charging circuits work before you start, but it's not that hard.Do you have a digital multimeter? Do you want to trouble-shoot this yourself?
I couldn't find an electrical diagram for a ZZR600 but I can post you one for a '94 ZZR1100 from the owners handbook(complete wiring diagram), I can't imagine there would be that much difference. Unfortunately, the scan runs at 2.66mb, so you'll need to PM me for the send. Also can send you a manual for ZZR1100 (jpeg's scans)that covers all the mechanical side of it. You need to inform us more exactly what the problem is first, ok?
kwakkadakka
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZZR1100

Postby marksesh » Sun May 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Thans guys for the replies. In a nut shell bike starts fine but after about 10 mins or less of riding the battery goes flat. It's not a coil problem thinking more altinator. Digital mulit meter says 13 volts. Does altinator sound if it's stuffed?
Team 4 minutes behind everyone else.
marksesh
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R

Postby kwakkadakka » Fri May 07, 2010 6:09 pm

With the engine running, the voltage at the battery should be 13.5v (charging system ok), so it does sound like the alternator or regulator is at fault. Here's where you need a service manual, as it tells you how to check each element. Nobody has weighed in with whether the ZZR600/1100 electrical systems are similar, and I'm afraid I don't know if they are, so I hesitate to say "Do this...." in case they aren't, and you end up blowing something! All I can suggest is you check all the wiring /connections between battery/alternator ( disconnect battery first), remove the alternator cover and inspect everything you can see for corrosion,etc. Pull apart any connecters and inspect for corrosion on the pins,dirt,moisture,etc. Use your multimeter to measure the wires ( lowest Ohms scale ), a length of wire should be 0 (naught) ohms, in other words a dead short or the same reading you get when you touch the 2 meter leads together. Sorry if you already know this.
Her's a link to a US ZZR600 manual, only one I could find. Warning: it's about 85mb but it's free.

http://www.shsu.edu/~rjm002/pdfs/ZZR600SvcMan.pdf
kwakkadakka
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZZR1100

Return to ZZR Discussion