ZZR600 Brake Discs

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

ZZR600 Brake Discs

Postby ty » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:28 am

Hey all, just thought I'd post this for information's sake...

I have to replace my brake discs all round next month - ie before the next rego check. Thickness is around 2.5-3mm I think - so well below tolerance.

Ringing/emailing around a few wreckers yields absolutely nothing second hand, and the downtime and higher commuting costs involved with sending my carriers away makes getting someone to refit on my carriers more hassle that it's really worth.
Buying new seem my easiest and best bet.

So here's what new discs cost for a '98 ZZR600...

Front - $350 each
Rear - $175

This is from my shop's second supplier as his preferred supplier doesn't stock the right discs yet. I'll be getting him to check again closer to needing them.
ty
Last edited by ty on Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you have no fear, you're not going fast enough.
Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
ty
Team Ninja

Bike: Honda
State: New South Wales

re: ZZR600 Brake Discs

Postby icebreaker » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:03 am

Get a price from Grahem 07 3200 0644 or 0429 034 263
your prob looking at around $200 per front.. send him yours he fits the new disc to the floater and sends them back..
Ducati Monster S2R1000
Kawasaki '77 Z1000A1, '76 z900 (Project) & '78 Z1000A2 (Project)

http://www.unihost.com.au - Affordable, Reliable Webhostng
icebreaker
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: Z1000
State: Tasmania

Postby ty » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:34 pm

As I mentioned though I can't justify the downtime of sending my carriers away.
Once I get part numbers I'll do some more ringing around to see if there's anything cheaper, but in my view $350 isn't too bad for new discs.
I'll see what happens and I'll update the thread when things are a bit more definite.
ty
Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
ty
Team Ninja

Postby icebreaker » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:41 pm

Got a price for my ZX6R..

Wave discs..
Front $220 each.
Rear $175 (About 2 weeks wait)

You purchase 2 Express post bags..
1 with Grahaems details.. The second is the return
envelope, so you fill in your details on the front.. and you send
your discs and the spare envelope..

ie. Send Monday, received Tuesday AM, sent Tuesday PM, you received Wednesday AM...

And your back on the road Wednesday PM at best.. Not a bad scenario really.. if your discs are worn down and not surging, then the floaters should be fine, and this should give you a good result.

You'll find Grahem doesn slotted discs not drilled, as he stands by the fact that slotted discs are far less prone to warping.

Thinking wave discs could be the go, when mine are due :)

Dan
Ducati Monster S2R1000

icebreaker
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ty » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:58 pm

However....
There's no way I'd be able to refit them myself until the following weekend - I'm away from home from 7am to 9pm most days - thus costing me train tickets all week. PLUS, double the travel time due to the train means I'm losing 2 hours work each day by catching the train = 10 hours per week.
Thanks, but I've thought about the option and as I said, it's just not worth it in my circumstances. I'd happily pay the extra $100 per disc just to save the hassle.

I also looked into buying second hand crappy discs just for the carriers, or carriers only, to send them off. But even if I could find them at wreckers it'd end up costing just as much as new.
ty
ty
Team Ninja

Postby icebreaker » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:29 pm

in your situation that's fair enough..

if you get some from wreckers and yours aren't warped, i'd rip yours out, put the wreckers ones in, and send yours away.. that way you reduce the chances of your new discs warping..

You can only see how you go...
Ducati Monster S2R1000

icebreaker
Administrator
Administrator

Postby aardvark » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:43 pm

I fucked up and ran my front brakes to the metal once. Picked it up pretty early but should have picked it up sooner.

The front discs now have slight grooves worn in them. It doesnt seem to have effected braking performance at all so cant see the sense in replacing them.

After seeing these prices for new ones, that's another reason not to replace them. :lol:
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby mike-s » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:41 pm

Ditto on mine, i just replaced the pads last week when i heard a faint grinding noise when i pulled into my driveway. I knew they were a little low, but i thought i better not ride until i checked/replaced the pads. the rh outside pad had 2mm of grip at the front and had worn away at the last cm or so of the pad, taking about up to a mm of metal off the pad at the very back of it.

It would certainly have explained the wooden brakes i've been feeling for a while if i stopped hard, but i had never got any other indication of my brakes being shot so never thought to check them.

Fortunately i think it's only taken minimal metal off the disc itself (about 1/4mm or so i think (i think the air holes through the disc might have eaten away at the pad metal before it did much damage to the disc.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s

Bike: Suzuki

Return to ZZR Discussion