ZX6R Back Brake

ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc

ZX6R Back Brake

Postby Quarkz » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:20 pm

Hey Guys,

When the bike originally got delivered it was lowered before it got to my house. To do this they took the side thingies with the footpeg thingamees on it off, to get to the shockie. After lowering the bike they didn't put one of the main springs on my back brake back where it should be (the one that offers resistance). No big dealio, rang up and they said they would put it back on when the bike gets its first service.

I noticed, while riding the bike that if I used the back brake they would work way to well (MUCH better than my ZZR-250's) and being used to shitty ZZR brakes I would get foot happy and kept locking the buggers up at the slightest touch. I just thought this was something I had to get used to. I wish they were still like this!

I took the bike down for its first service today and they replaced the spring thingie but now when I apply the brakes they are as hard as solid sun dried crap. They don't offer any braking at all until the lever is completly pushed down and even pushing it down is a mission in itself. I was even having trouble at a hill start, using just my back brakes, I had to be pushing with all my little girly might to keep the back wheel from moving. This can't be right. I may be mech retarded but this can't be right.

I am so not driving all the way down to Brisbane to get this fixed and I dont really want another Kawasaki dealer charging me money to fix it up (Plus the local Kwaka dealer doesnt like me too much right now) so any ideas on what could be wrong (if there is something wrong)? Anyone else ridden the 2004 ZX6R and could tell me what the brakes where like?

-- Kylie
Kylie
---
2013 Kawasaki ZX636 / 2004 Kawasaki ZX636 / 1999 Aprilia RS250
Quarkz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R
State: Queensland

re: ZX6R Back Brake

Postby Flakey » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:52 pm

Without seeing it, I'd say something is getting in the way?... Unless they put an incorrect spring (too strong) on it.

Either that, or they might need bleeding. I'd check the pads are in straight as well.

Definately get someone whos knows about brakes to look at it, as they usually are pretty damn good, and you want all the braking you can get.

:)
Flakey
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Felix » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:18 pm

Could be that free-play needs adjusting along with pedal position.

But do check the rear brake action and see that every thing is free to move as it should when you operate the lever. You could also try and remove the spring and see what effect that has to the movement and feel.

I'd do the visual thing first.
Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Suzuki
State: Overseas

Postby Quarkz » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:36 pm

Before I got the spring fitted I rode the bike 1000km without it. The brakes worked very well, too well infact. I was locking them up. I don't know if this was because I am used to crappy brakes from my last bike or because the spring wasnt there. The brakes work fine but since the spring has been fitted they are crap.

I'll have to take the bike into my local mech so he can ride it and work out the problem. Really, I think they have put the wrong spring on. After I noticed it wasnt there we rang them up and they said they couldn't find the spring anywhere and would have to "find one" so Im just thinking maybe they put a ZX10R one on or something...???
Kylie
---
Quarkz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Felix » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:47 pm

Is that a return spring that brings the pedal back up? If it is, it could be just too heavy a guage but the only one the right length they could find.

The locking up thing could well just mean that you need to adjust the pedals and free play. Or get them to do it for you while you are there. You probably will need to get used to them a bit though.
Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby aardvark » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:23 am

Do people actually use the rear brake?
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby corbywan » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:09 am

Yeah I use my rear brake.
I find it helps ME set the bike up before entering a corner.
I dont use it to slow myself down, but more to help balance or steady the bike on corner entry. I possibly use it through to mid corner.
I dont do this all the time.

But to stop the bike, generally front brake, unless I have brain fade and braked way to late then the rear brakes come in to play as well as the fronts.
Corbywan
"ZX6R - The laws of physics want their virginity back! "
corbywan
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby mattyv74 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:12 am

Hey hey, don't you just hate tosser dealers. Bet they'd take more care if it was their money that paid for the bike. Said fact is that most mechanics who actually know thier shit working for themselves, not dealers.
The brake on my 7 is pretty powerful, it will step out bick time if your not very carefull with it. But Kawasaki will have put the spring on for a reason.
PM rob(blackzxr) and swap photos with him(of the bike I mean). He's got a beutiful black new 6r. If you need help changing anything, I'm sure there are a couple of members who cauld help you up there with the assistance of info from Rob.
At the end of the day though, the tossers who changed it in the first place show have get it right. Walk into their shop an hope onto their floor model first. Then ask them to explain. Then explain that you are not spending another cent and that you are a very active and popular members of a huge Kawasaki dedicated club. Lowering can not affect the brakes.
Good luck. Let us know how you go. :D
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Bike: ZX7R

Re: re: ZX6R Back Brake

Postby Neka79 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:15 pm

aardvark wrote:Do people actually use the rear brake?

yea ive uused mine a few times...mostly for slow speed manouvering, and trying to stop a wheelie from flipping (tho i need more work on that :P )....
rarely use it wen hard on brakes cos i get sick of locking it up
neka
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900

Postby mattyv74 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:20 pm

Arrh yeah! I go through one set of rears for every three pairs of fronts. :roll:
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Bike: ZX7R

Postby Rossi » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:07 am

mattyv74 wrote:

Arrh yeah! I go through one set of rears for every three pairs of fronts. :roll:

Matty.........he's talking about brakes NOT tyres :lol: :lol:
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Rossi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby aardvark » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:29 am

mattyv74 wrote:

Whaaaaa????
aardvark

Postby Quarkz » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am

I use my rear brake to set me up for corners and for steadying and lengthening the bike through the corner. I was taught this by my Q-Ride instructor. I can't stand not dragging the back brake around corners. Just the way I ride.

The brakes have loosened up a little. I went for a cruise down at Mooloolabah last night and ended up getting chased by another bike. We pulled up next to each other at the lights and I realised it was Targ, a guy I know through the overclockers forum. So we went for a very fast hoon up through Dulong and down the razorback but of course we had to put some rice burner idiots with their cages in their places first :wink:

The brakes are starting to get better so hopefully they just need some breaking in before I am happy with them. Thanks for all your help guys, appriciated.
Kylie
---
Quarkz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby aardvark » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:18 pm

I hope all of you that overuse your rear brakes have the brake light switch disconnected? Must be scary for people following behind to see a brake light come on mid corner, every corner.
aardvark

Postby Felix » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:19 pm

I'm with Quarkz.

At the TopRider braking and cornerning course, they explained that rear brakes are the only thing to use mid corner. Throttle should stay constant, even if you've gone in hot, just apply some rear brake to slow down and perhaps lean a bit more...

Also shaves an extra metre or two off stopping distance when used with the the front, and keeps bike stable, blah blah blah.
Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Next

Return to ZX-R / Ninja Current Model Discussion