ZX-6R Lowering Links: How do these work?

ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc

Re: re: ZX-6R Lowering Links: How do these work?

Postby Mizz ZZR » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:58 am

Quarkz wrote:Karen, the ZZR600 was pretty good height wise for me though. Those buggers are heavy though :x

You got the heavy part right sister..... Its been down 4 times now, and not once have I had a hope of lifting it. I'm a fairly built and strong kinda girl too. Lucky I've had people around me each time its happened....

Yeah guys, no.4 was a few weeks ago after the expo, sliding sideways up a friends driveway after aiming incorrectly and landing on very soggy grass. Bike did a complete 180 on its side on the grass and landed with tail facing the house, rather than front wheel. Both bike and rider were completely unscathed tho, although covered in a lotta mud! Both hadda be hosed down after....was kinda funny, if it weren't so embarrassing.

I'm happy to say though that I don't believe this incident had anything to do with height or size of the bike.... So we'll just move right along and pretend it never happened, but keep the hell away from wet grass next time.
1996 Yamaha Virago 250 - yeah really
2003 ZZR 600
2005 Very Tough Rocket 250
2010 BMW F 800 R
Mizz ZZR
Team ZZR

Bike: Honda
State: Victoria

Postby Neka79 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:24 pm

Mizz ZZR wrote:
Quarkz wrote:Karen, the ZZR600 was pretty good height wise for me though. Those buggers are heavy though :x

You got the heavy part right sister..... Its been down 4 times now, .

geez kazz...ur bikes been down more times than pammy lee!!

and its even fallen over more times than mine!! (bklade only felled over twice...)
neka
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900
State: South Australia

Postby mrmina » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:26 pm

neka79 wrote:
Mizz ZZR wrote:

You got the heavy part right sister..... Its been down 4 times now, .

geez kazz...ur bikes been down more times than pammy lee!!

i'd say that scrag (pammy lee) has been down more time that four.
[url]www.rmsmg.com.au
mrmina
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

re: ZX-6R Lowering Links: How do these work?

Postby YAPPA » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:53 pm

HEY i'm only 165cm, maybe ksrc stands 4 kawasaki shortass riders club, it sounds like there r a few of us :lol:
YAPPA
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R
State: Queensland

Postby Marilyn » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:20 pm

I did a reply but I don't think it went on!

The 2005 ZZR600 will only be the ZX6 in the USA. The Aussie one will be the same as this years in a different colour.

The linkage issue is simple. Yes, they are dog bones because that is what they look like - or flattened spanners. Longer linkages = lower bike. Shorter linkages = taller bike = more ground clearance at the track! Just get linkages from other bike models - maybe try the wreckers. No need to get anything special.

The ZZR I think is 1.7:1 - i.e. if you get linkages that are 10mm longer than standard, the height (above the rear axle) will be 17mm lower. Of course you have to drop the front end too to leave the geometry the same or the bike will turn more sluggishly.

You can use shorter linkages if your bike scrapes everwhere at the track to get more ground clearance.
Marilyn

Postby Ratmick » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:34 pm

Marilyn wrote:I did a reply but I don't think it went on!

The 2005 ZZR600 will only be the ZX6 in the USA. The Aussie one will be the same as this years in a different colour.

The linkage issue is simple. Yes, they are dog bones because that is what they look like - or flattened spanners. Longer linkages = lower bike. Shorter linkages = taller bike = more ground clearance at the track! Just get linkages from other bike models - maybe try the wreckers. No need to get anything special.

The ZZR I think is 1.7:1 - i.e. if you get linkages that are 10mm longer than standard, the height (above the rear axle) will be 17mm lower. Of course you have to drop the front end too to leave the geometry the same or the bike will turn more sluggishly.

You can use shorter linkages if your bike scrapes everwhere at the track to get more ground clearance.

Hey, great info! What about the holes in the ends...are they bushed and/or a certain size per manufacturer/or different sizes on a bike-to-bike basis?

..I have seen pictures of various styles, it looks like there's a fair variety in shapes.
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby Marilyn » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:40 pm

Mick, I have a Yamaha and it has Kawasaki linkages in it because they are better made than the Yam ones! They are generally just flat pieces of metal in the shape of a dog bone with a hole at either end. No bushes, no bearings, and certainly for most Jap bikes post early 90s with a universal hole size.
Marilyn

Postby Ratmick » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:13 pm

Marilyn wrote:Mick, I have a Yamaha and it has Kawasaki linkages in it because they are better made than the Yam ones! They are generally just flat pieces of metal in the shape of a dog bone with a hole at either end. No bushes, no bearings, and certainly for most Jap bikes post early 90s with a universal hole size.

Cool! Thanks for that. 8)

Still looking for the perfect motorbike. The bike I'd like doesn't exist, so it's all a compromise.
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Bike: Other Kawi

Previous

Return to ZX-R / Ninja Current Model Discussion