05-06 ZX636 owners with overheating ECU problem?

ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc

05-06 ZX636 owners with overheating ECU problem?

Postby ZEDX6 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:36 pm

hi,

has anyone else downunder had this issue?
I have read that it mainly affects 05 (can't find any on the 06) but the bike will cut out/stutter/buck after continuous riding for around 40mins or more. (maybe less if it is a hot day)
the revs would stutter/splatter as you accelerate or worse case it would cut out completely but the power and lights on dash remain on.
I need to pull over and let it cool down for at least 20 minutes before i can ride a bit further before it happens again.

seems to be affecting alot of EU & US riders, can't find many in AU/NZ.

i've checked battery and terminals, all is good
i've heat wrapped the tail part of the exhaust\
relocated ECU to battery area
no diagnostic error codes come up.
all did not help, so i am led to believe that the previous owner has been riding like this for awhile and done damage to the ECU which will need replacing.

is there anything else i can check out before I go and replace ECU at cost of $600 with new keys...

Cheers
ZEDX6

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: 05-06 ZX636 owners with overheating ECU problem?

Postby oldmanmike » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:39 pm

Have you checked your fuel filter / fuel pump ?

Having replace the fuel pump on the 10 after it wouldn't rev past 8K about 15,000kms ago today the beast behaved exactly as you described ie. wouldn't rev past 5k or accept any more than low throttle openings without burping farting dying etc...

Got home and removed tank and then fuel pump assembly...Sure enough filter was clogged full of crap.
Cleaned, reassembled and all's well in the world again.
oldmanmike
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Postby ZEDX6 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:56 pm

i suspect that as well but mine revs fine, no stuttering, burping, farting etc until i ride for long period (or shorter depending on how hot it is)
but i guess it is worth a shot to take it apart and have a look.
ZEDX6

Postby tim » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:05 am

There's also the whole "blocked air vent in tank" causing "vapour lock" issue which sounds something like this. Do a search for these terms on here and elsewhere
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby ZEDX6 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:40 pm

definitely not vapour lock as i don't hear the hissing sound from the petrol tank.
ZEDX6

Postby Strika » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:27 pm

ZEDX6 wrote:definitely not vapour lock as i don't hear the hissing sound from the petrol tank.

You are supposed to hear the hissing sound from the tank. So unless you worded your reply incorrectly, then perhaps clean out the vent. If it is in fact venting as it should, then I would do a pressure test on the fuel pump. Test it for not only pressure (Which is think should be @42psi) but also for flow rate is the pressure comes up OK. These pumps can be finicky and can sometimes only fault when hot or under load. Often they can run sweet as a nut when cold or cool and then gradually start breaking down further and further as they get hot. Eventually shutting it down completely. If it is the pump, I'm pretty sure this model isn't able to be rebuilt. But take it to a good auto elec and they can test it for you.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby Strika » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:27 pm

ZEDX6 wrote:definitely not vapour lock as i don't hear the hissing sound from the petrol tank.

You are supposed to hear the hissing sound from the tank. So unless you worded your reply incorrectly, then perhaps clean out the vent. If it is in fact venting as it should, then I would do a pressure test on the fuel pump. Test it for not only pressure (Which is think should be @42psi) but also for flow rate is the pressure comes up OK. These pumps can be finicky and can sometimes only fault when hot or under load. Often they can run sweet as a nut when cold or cool and then gradually start breaking down further and further as they get hot. Eventually shutting it down completely. If it is the pump, I'm pretty sure this model isn't able to be rebuilt. But take it to a good auto elec and they can test it for you.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Return to ZX-R / Ninja Current Model Discussion