Will it buff out?

ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc

Will it buff out?

Postby danbsydney » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:28 pm

Hey guys, been sifting through the pages here reading other people's stories and figure I may as well join the fun.

Picked up an 08 ZX6R a couple of weeks ago. Went in to buy a spare rim for my 03 GSXR600 race bike, walked out with the rim and a damaged Kawasaki. Although not written off, this is going to be turned into a race bike over the next year with a view to have it ready for the 2016 season.

Although a Kawasaki guy at heart (Dad has a 73 Z1, I've got a 1970 H1 stashed away) this is the first Ninja I've owned so looking forward to trawling through the pages to try avoid asking dumb questions and learn something along the way.

Any tips / suggestions are welcome, provided they are good ones haha

First dumb question though - this is a 'Special Edition', according to the tank. Does this mean anything more than a tacky sticker set and red wheels / fork tubes I'm going to have to swap out at some point? I've tried googling it of a few occasions and it seems that way.

If anyone is chasing any of the road stuff that is left on it feel free to PM me and we can chat price. If anyone has a dash to suit I'd be interested in picking one up to, you know, get the bike actually going. Obviously also going to be chasing other goodies so if you have good stuff you want to flog let me know.

Cheers guys

Dan
danbsydney

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: Will it buff out?

Postby MadKaw » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:38 am

Welcome aboard and good luck with the project.

BTW - The Special edition is just the colour scheme. :D
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby danbsydney » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:40 am

Cheers mate, thought as much.
danbsydney

Postby Jonnymac » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:39 am

Yep gotta love specials. lol

Welcome mate. The only thing I would warn you about with that model is I believe they can have some gearbox issues and potentially engine problems.
I've never had one but perhaps Glen may be able to word you up.
A strip down might be in order seeing as your intending on racing 2016. Plenty of time.
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Victoria

Postby MadKaw » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:47 am

Yes, I believe there was a top end issue with a few on here.?
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Glen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:59 pm

Big indeed. Dropped a valve in turn 1 and Kapooftka. Look for Jonno on here, he bought our old one and I'm not sure if he still has it but he was selling all the bits (I just bumped his thread, go nuts). We bought it with 700klm on it. The only special thing is the paint scheme, the red wheels and the jazzy red forks. Great little bike but watch the top end. Others here have had them and had no problems so I think it's the luck of the draw.

Jonno is your man though our old one is a cracker except for the engine. You could probably drop the engine out of that one into his rig and you'll have a whole bike load of spares

Good luck with it.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby danbsydney » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:05 pm

Glen wrote:Big indeed. Dropped a valve in turn 1 and Kapooftka. Look for Jonno on here, he bought our old one and I'm not sure if he still has it but he was selling all the bits (I just bumped his thread, go nuts). We bought it with 700klm on it. The only special thing is the paint scheme, the red wheels and the jazzy red forks. Great little bike but watch the top end. Others here have had them and had no problems so I think it's the luck of the draw.

Jonno is your man though our old one is a cracker except for the engine. You could probably drop the engine out of that one into his rig and you'll have a whole bike load of spares

Good luck with it.

Cheers mate. Re: the red highlights I'm definitely going to be looking to replace them. Once I get the proper green fairings it'll look like bloody christmas haha

Will be interested to see how the engine is. The tyres have some pretty remarkable chicken stripes on them so I don't think it's been thrashed round the track or up the old pac too much but who knows old mate might have been one of those dudes who bounces it off the limiter at his mates' bbq. Hoping to pull the fairings off and find some aftermarket go fast goodies but I don't think I'll be that lucky.
danbsydney

Return to ZX-R / Ninja Current Model Discussion