Switch to full style
ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc
Post a reply

Tyres for track newbie?

Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:53 am

So now that skippy (new name) my '04 10 is becoming a track bike, it needs some track tyres. Seeing that I've done exactly two track days and the last one was a couple of years ago, it's pretty safe to say I'll be starting in the slow group. With that in mind I was thinking that a track biased road tyre would be the best bet because I won't be going fast enough to keep the temps up. Also I'm thinking second hand will help me keep costs down. Any recommendations?

Re: Tyres for track newbie?

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:35 am

Are you running tyre warmers?

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:42 am

Pirelli diabalo super corsa are ok, I like the Michelin power race but they're hard to find (not sure on the newer power pure).

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:22 pm

ducati_paul wrote:Are you running tyre warmers?

Yup, ashamed to say, owned them for 2 years and never used them.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:48 pm

I ran the Mitchellin Power One's last time I ran at E.C for the same reason and found them to be really grippy and could push after 1.5 to 2 laps in!

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Running the risk of sounding like a broken record Bridgestone 003s.Pity your not in Melbourne as I have 4 sets of 003s that are still roadworthy in my shed.Most of the wear is on the L/hand side as broadford is just like that. ;)

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:16 pm

+1........... 003's the ducks guts IMHO

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:06 pm

After many years of working with them at Phillip Island, as well as doing courses at Dunlop.. you cannot go past the Dunlop Q2's if you are starting off at the track... They warm up quickly, excellent side grip, contact patch and wear. We use them on all of our hire bikes and coach bikes and they are a fantastic tyre for the price.. :-)

Macca - Track Manager 'MADAZ Performance'

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Maccarocks wrote:After many years of working with them at Phillip Island, as well as doing courses at Dunlop.. you cannot go past the Dunlop Q2's if you are starting off at the track... They warm up quickly, excellent side grip, contact patch and wear. We use them on all of our hire bikes and coach bikes and they are a fantastic tyre for the price.. :-)

Macca - Track Manager 'MADAZ Performance'

Yep horses for courses,tried Q 2s went back to 003s ;)

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Q2's, 003's, R10's, M5's, Pilot any things, Diablo any things will all be good enough. If you are starting out in the bottom group you won't know the difference between any of them, so go for whatever you can get a good deal on.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:37 pm

BT003's then. I can get them delivered from Rocky Mountain ATV for $335 delivered.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Aussie Ninja wrote:BT003's then. I can get them delivered from Rocky Mountain ATV for $335 delivered.

Yep that's were I get mine,although I normally get 2 sets or if I have a build up I get 1 front and 2 rears. ;)
Post a reply