Best brake pads

ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc

Re: Best brake pads

Postby Tack » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:18 am

Oh I forgot I was also a dealer of pagid brake pads and brembo calipers if that adds any credability as well.

But all that doesn't mean that I'm right about everything. I made plenty of mistakes and I used to think that I learnt more from a mistake then from things I got right.

My motto always was " Nothing is absolutely true if there are exceptions and the trick is to find the exceptions"
I live with fear everyday but on weekends she lets me ride.
Tack
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Postby Wattie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:38 am

Tack wrote:Oh I forgot I was also a dealer of pagid brake pads and brembo calipers if that adds any credability as well.

But all that doesn't mean that I'm right about everything. I made plenty of mistakes and I used to think that I learnt more from a mistake then from things I got right.

My motto always was " Nothing is absolutely true if there are exceptions and the trick is to find the exceptions"

What you should know is that the stock zx12 m/c is axial.
The r1 mc he changed to is radial.
Placebo may be playing a small part too :-)
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:47 am

yes the stock 12R m/c was axial or *normal* bike style. The Gixxer600/750 m/c is radial-pull. Nothing placebo in the effect Wattie, that new m/c just about stands the barge up on its nose. Greatest improvement to the brakes I made, regardless of what any theory says. The old m/c used to get such bad fade under extreme conditions that it would have lever travel almost back to the handgrip, the new one is nothing like that whatsoever. One-finger braking for all normal suburban riding and 2-finger for track. I would not use 3 fingers because it would just lock up the front end.......

The only thing that I can think of, is that somehow the leverage ratio of the lever on the radial m/c must be a massive improvement over that of the standard m/c ? I know that lifting the pivot point for the push-rod to the m/c in a normal car brake lever, will improve the braking of a stock m/c, all else being equal. It might be an old trick but it is still a good one.

Thanks for the background Tack, you are a lucky fellah to have all that engineering history. I am looking to improve the m/c on an old Series 3 XJ6 due to installing an LS1 - if you are OK with a pm or 2 on this, I might pick your brains about what would be the best way to upgrade the braking power of the old jag.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Strika » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:59 pm

Tack.......love ya work. It's a pity you have to post pics of your university qualifications in order to be believed in here......... I wasn't sure you'd tell the story in much detail, so glad you did....... :)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Wattie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Strika wrote:Tack.......love ya work. It's a pity you have to post pics of your university qualifications in order to be believed in here......... I wasn't sure you'd tell the story in much detail, so glad you did....... :)

Pics wouldn't be enough for me. I'd call photoshop haha
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby MadKaw » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Strika wrote:Tack.......love ya work. It's a pity you have to post pics of your university qualifications in order to be believed in here...

Why, who's not believing in here.???
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Zx10R0007 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Johnnyflash wrote:SBS DC's are awesome but expensive. Seriously under rated manufacturer!

Could not agree More - For the Track The DC compound is Insane. & long wearing
Zx10R0007

State: Queensland

Previous

Return to ZX-R / Ninja Current Model Discussion