636 review.

ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc

636 review.

Postby Kermit » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:44 pm

I got plenty of practice on both street and track during a two-day press launch in Northern California that included laps at Thunderhill Raceway and on the twisty mountain roads above Chico.

Superior performance is guaranteed to get you noticed, and I only needed a few seconds in the saddle of the ZX-6R at Thunderhill to appreciate the engine’s newfound torque. When learning a new racetrack, you have to figure out your shift points and the ideal gear for each corner. In most places, the 6R gave me the option of either screaming or lugging the engine. At times, carrying a taller gear out of a corner and letting the midrange torque pull me through to the next section of track was a better option than keeping the tachometer needle hovering between 15,000 rpm and the engine’s 16,000-rpm rev limit.

In fact, options are something that the ZX-6R has in abundance. The new electronics package offers four traction-control settings (including Off) and two power-output choices, plus available ABS, endowing the midsized Ninja with perhaps the best rider-aid system available on a middleweight supersport.

On the racetrack, I preferred Full power and TC 1 (least intervention), which provided exceptional drive with a bit of a security net. The following day on the street ride in the nearby mountains, I found that TC 2 was the most confidence-inspiring in the chilly conditions without taking away too much performance. Low power mode delivers identical performance up to roughly 7000 rpm, at which point output is clipped to 80 percent of Full—ideal for rainy or slick surfaces.

What makes the electronics so good? Their “stealth” presence, that’s what. At Thunderhill, I was all but unaware of TC intervention. Great grip provided by the DOT-approved Bridgestone R10 race tires (S20s are standard) definitely contributed to a planted rear end, but the system’s predictive nature kept it from being overly intrusive. On the street, both TC 2 and 3 could be easily activated under hard acceleration in now-shorter first gear. Outside of my intentional invitation, I rarely noticed TC 2 cutting ignition (or additionally, fuel and air in TC 3). I also didn’t encounter any hiccups from the revised fuel injection with its bank of 38mm throttle bodies; mapping was perfect.

A top-notch chassis with a steeper, 23.5-degree steering-head angle complements that hot-rod engine and electronics package. The Showa SFF-BP fork (Separate Function Big Piston) and revised Uni-Trak/Showa combo out back delivered excellent front-end feel while I trail-braked deep into corners, and it capably absorbed mid-corner bumps. Helping tame corner entries is a new three-spring F.C.C. clutch with slipper and assist functions, the latter allegedly reducing effort at the lever by 25 percent. Nissin monoblock front-brake calipers and larger, 310mm rotors are another significant upgrade. That combination provided great feel and power without a hint of grabbiness.

My initial impression of the 2013 ZX-6R was very positive. Considering that the 599cc version of the ZX-6R has been a Ten Best award winner three of the past four years, this performance-improved, incredibly refined technological leader has a great chance of making that four out of five. It’s really that good.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: 636 review.

Postby hoffy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:11 pm

Do they do it in Mens?
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000