2011 ZX10R - Quickshifter Installed !!

ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc

Re: 2011 ZX10R - Quickshifter Installed !!

Postby valkau » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:14 pm

Hey Macca - time for the first quarterly update? Now that the novelty has worn off how is the longer term experience working out?
V
valkau
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Maccarocks » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:49 pm

OK.. Quarterly update time...

First off, after riding a couple of other bikes just for fun over the past month or so I cant believe I went without a Quickshifter for so long.. they are so good and definitely do make for a quicker lap time... I have made a few suspension adjustments over the last 3 months, added more spacers to the rear shock to raise the ride height, started at 5mm, then went to 8mm, then to 10mm, then I fitted the 200 rear tyre which lifted the rear even more.. but now I am back to the 190 tyre and a 7mm spacer which feels perfect for me...!! Tyre wear is good, and the handling is excellent... Very stable

I have been getting faster consistently on this new bike, and clocked up my PB of 1.47.1 in December this year with a GPS top speed of exactly 280 kph flat.. :shock: Which is pretty fast...!! And an 'optimal' lap of 1.46.4.. so I know I can go faster, and of course all 2012 will be spent trying to beat this years best time..!! ;)

This bike has so much power, no one could ever whine about that, you just have to continue to work on the set up to suit your riding style to get the bike to turn a bit quicker. I have the gearing sorted now, after trying a few different sprockets I have settled on the 17 / 42 tooth set up... I went the fastest on this set up, best acelleration plus going 3 teeth up on the rear pulls the axle in to half way in the adjustment, shortening the wheelbase slightly, but allowing for a quicker turn in. (remember this model had the longer swingarm for stability, fine for the road, but too long for the track making it a lazy steerer and wanting to run wide as well all the time) so shortening the wheelbase on this model will not upset anything just help with the steering..!!

I love the bike.. what more can I say..!! :D More updates to come in 2012...

Macca :kuda:
Maccarocks
16' - Z1000 (Road)
Too many other bikes to fit in here !!
Maccarocks
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

State: Victoria

Postby born green » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:36 pm

Maccarocks wrote:OK.. Quarterly update time...

First off, after riding a couple of other bikes just for fun over the past month or so I cant believe I went without a Quickshifter for so long.. they are so good and definitely do make for a quicker lap time... I have made a few suspension adjustments over the last 3 months, added more spacers to the rear shock to raise the ride height, started at 5mm, then went to 8mm, then to 10mm, then I fitted the 200 rear tyre which lifted the rear even more.. but now I am back to the 190 tyre and a 7mm spacer which feels perfect for me...!! Tyre wear is good, and the handling is excellent... Very stable

I have been getting faster consistently on this new bike, and clocked up my PB of 1.47.1 in December this year with a GPS top speed of exactly 280 kph flat.. :shock: Which is pretty fast...!! And an 'optimal' lap of 1.46.4.. so I know I can go faster, and of course all 2012 will be spent trying to beat this years best time..!! ;)

This bike has so much power, no one could ever whine about that, you just have to continue to work on the set up to suit your riding style to get the bike to turn a bit quicker. I have the gearing sorted now, after trying a few different sprockets I have settled on the 17 / 42 tooth set up... I went the fastest on this set up, best acelleration plus going 3 teeth up on the rear pulls the axle in to half way in the adjustment, shortening the wheelbase slightly, but allowing for a quicker turn in. (remember this model had the longer swingarm for stability, fine for the road, but too long for the track making it a lazy steerer and wanting to run wide as well all the time) so shortening the wheelbase on this model will not upset anything just help with the steering..!!

I love the bike.. what more can I say..!! :D More updates to come in 2012...

Macca :kuda:

Macca, there's no such thing as to much horsepower :) :) As a guy once said to me, when to much horsepower is still not enough :) :)
96 ZX7R roady
07 ZX10R tracky. to many mods to list here!
95 tickford XR6,
SO MANY KAWASAKI'S SO LITTLE TIME
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Wattie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:36 pm

What about wheelies Macca?
you want longer wheelbase to halt the wheelies...

TC in mode 1 doesn't help too much.
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby valkau » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks Macca - it's a great bike even for roadies. I hope the professionals can figure it out better this year in WSB.
V
valkau
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Maccarocks » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:41 pm

Yes Wattie.. I was also concerned about wheelies, but this model is nothing like the 04 / 05 model.. that one was a wheelie monster.. :twisted:

I downloaded a heap of information from Kawasaki about the 2011 model, and in the specs it actually reccomends 'for track or racing use remove 2 links of the chain to shorten the wheelbase for quicker steering' but this mod cannot be done whilst the cat / pre chamber box is still in place as the wheel will almost touch it.. They really made the wheelbase longer and also it is geared so high for road riders to 'soften' the power delivery and in general just make it easier for regular road rider to handle such a powerful machine..

Now going up 3 teeth on the rear is the equivalent to dropping 1 tooth on the front so the rear wheel now sits in the perfect position and I have not had any problems with wheelies.. I still get power wheelies and the front getting very light coming out of turn 2, exiting Siberia and also onto the straight at PI but nothing uncontrollable and the bike is very stable at very high speed and through fast corners. (Well it is still like riding a bull, but all ZX10's are like that !! :lol: ) But that's why we love them...?

I am running full power mode and the Traction Control is on Setting 2. I have felt it kick in a lot more lately since I have started breaking into new ground as far as my times go. I feel it exiting Siberia and especially turn 11 getting on the gas. I have tried it in setting 3 (the most intervening setting) and it comes on all the time.. not good, but I have not given it a run yet in setting 1. But now I have the suspension dialed in for the D 211's I will have to give it a try next year. Although I really feel confident with setting 2 at the moment...!! ;)

No more mods for me on this bike now, just riding and burning up tyres..!!

Macca 8)
Maccarocks
16' - Z1000 (Road)
Maccarocks
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

2011 ZX10R - Quickshifter Installed !!

Postby Wattie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Yeah when I rode Jonno's at ec I started out in mode 1. It wheelied like a bitch over the hill out of 3. Up the hill out of 5, out of 7, 9 and onto the straight. Tc would not hold it down. Felt tc step in a few times but it was good out of the bends until it wheelied.

After someone crashed I went back out in mode 2. It stopped the wheelies, but tc was on every corner. It just wouldnt go.

Jonno's has a dyno tuned pc5 and link pipe, so it goes a tad well...
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Jonno » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:02 am

I run mine in Full power and mode 2 and does the same at PI as yours, especially T11 slides and at Siberia although I took a different approach which kept that mostly in check, might try mode 1 soon (imagine it turned off). The power of it is smooth and almost endless if you can actually get to use it, my dyno graph shows it flatten out at the top and I doubt I will find that an issue any time soon, an ign module would add a bit more up there, the tuned pc5 gained some in the middle but we didnt do a base run with oem exhaust so cant really say how much but it is very noticeable :D
It is interesting how much difference the QS makes for you 8)

Wattie wrote: It wheelied like a bitch

I cant help thinking it has a lot to do with the OEM shock, I felt it fade in each session and over the day it got worse, it was bottoming out on a few corners squashing my boot making me change my lines and it wheelied all over the place out of them so I couldn't utilise the power until it settled.
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby Maccarocks » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:41 am

Right then.. I do believe that the stock shock is what is letting you down for sure.!!

It must be squatting so hard under heavy acelleration out of the corners we where speaking about which is making the front come up all the time. I only rode mine once with the stock shock in it, but went straight to a TTX as soon as I could, but because it was so new I wasn't really caning it that much. I remember watching YOU TUBE video from Dave Moss talking about the BMW vs the ZX10, and he was saying that the stock shock onthe '10' was really bad, soft and bouncy with virtually no compression control... He suggested winding the compression in full, then backing it off 1 turn...

So analysis complete, it is the rear shock. Mine still gets all light in the front end under heavy acelleration, but that's what they are suposed to do..!! 8) But it definitely does not wheelie like Jonno's... and I am getting 'on it' at the island, so I am not putting around..!! I also agree Jonno about the power.. it seems to just go on forever. I wonder if the straight was longer how much more it would keep pulling.. it's like 'to infinity and beyond'..!! :lol:

Macca. :kuda:
Maccarocks
16' - Z1000 (Road)
Maccarocks
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Previous

Return to ZX-R / Ninja Current Model Discussion