Carb icing issues

ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc

Carb icing issues

Postby belair » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:01 am

As I mentioned briefly in my intro, I'm having some carb icing issues. At least I'm 90% sure its carb icing anyway.

The bike is a 1998 zx-6, the model without carby heaters. I'm aware of later models having some sort of carb heater introduced to counter act this problem. Something along the lines of the fuel lines being closer to the cylinder head to heat the fuel prior to carburation???? Anyway its got an Akrapovic slip on and has been rejetted. I can live with it but it drives me up the wall particularly on long rides at this time of the year.

The problem will always come about in these conditions:
-In ambient temperatures as high as 12 deg, but especially frosty mornings.
-Riding at constant speeds around 80kph and above for long periods of time in the above.
-More noticeable in the mountains, primarily because the above two points. I'm guessing because there is more moisture in the air.

And the symptoms experienced are as follows:
-Be cruising at around the 4-5k mark and open throttle slightly to have the bike hesitate of a few seconds and then splutter and carry on like its running out of fuel. Open throttle a bit more (around 8k)and it seems to fix itself.
-It will not idle by itself after coming off a section of constant speed so coming up to intersections are a bit hairy. Usually I would have to pull over and rev it until the carbys heat up. Do this for about half a minute and its fine.

Some brief research I have done on fixes to the problem concluded that there is a fuel additive available(Silkolene Pro FST) that supposedly helps; and that there is no after market carb heater kit available. I'm not too keen on the first idea.

My question or questions are: Has anyone else had similar problems with this model? And is there a permanent fix anyone has tried or knows of? The reason I have my doubts about it being carb icing is the reaction of some "experts" after telling them of this problem. A couple of bike shops I asked seemed to have not come across this issue before. And after calling 1300 kawasaki parts division to see if there is an after market carb heater kit available, they said it is only something that would be more likely experienced in parts of Europe.

I would appreciate any feedback with similar problems, issues, thoughts etc.

Cheers JP
belair

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Re: Carb icing issues

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:32 am

jimbo, there is heaps of advice on this issue - use the 'search' function on the top of the page, type in 'carb icing zx6', and take it from there. I think that this problem is solved by fitting some parts off a later model 6, but there are plenty of 6 experts on here who can help you out.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby ty » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:10 pm

Are you sure it sounds like carb-icing Gos?
I had this problem on my old 98 ZX9R, and am starting to having similar trouble on my current one.
On the old one it turned out to be faulty coils. The were still in spec, but not spot-on. Replacing them after the problem started happening all the time fixed things up.

As per belair's symptoms though it only happens in the cold and after long runs at one speed - ie freeway.
Giving it a good rev normally sorts it - I haven't wanted to spend $500 on new coils again (I think >$100 each)
ty
If you have no fear, you're not going fast enough.
Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
ty
Team Ninja

Bike: Honda
State: New South Wales

Postby Neka79 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:09 pm

didnt andi (javaman) fix his 6 problem by blocking off the radiator a bit, to increase temp in the motor a touch??

think that fixed his prob..but yea there is a thread on this...
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)

State: South Australia

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:21 pm

ty wrote:Are you sure it sounds like carb-icing Gos?...ty

not 100%, but the sypmtoms and the cold ambient temperatures seem to point that way...

You know, in all the years I have ridden bikes, I have not had a carby icing problem ? even here in the capital ....where for 4 months of the year its flanno undies weather !!! :lol:

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

State: ACT

Postby Waldorf » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:45 pm

I had the same issue on my other half's 98 ZX6R recently:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16463&hilit=

The fix was simple. I stopped riding her bike and got back on mine.. :oops: :lol:

I tried keeping the revs up a bit like Javaman suggested (thanks Andi), but it didn't help. I did consider making a "curtain" for the front of the radiator to try and up the temperature a bit (like Neka suggested), but was a bit worried about cooking it if I had to sit in traffic etc. In the end, I think the real solution was to try and find a wrecked ZX6R with the carb heaters.
Macca..
Black 2006 Z750 - For sale.
Black/Blue 2011 KLR650 - Playing in the dirt.
Waldorf
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z750

Postby belair » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Didnt even think of searching for the subject either. :oops:

Had a quick look at one of the other threads so it looks like theres a few options. Although moving to Queensland just isnt viable at this stage. ;)
belair

Postby Neka79 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:19 pm

belair wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. Didnt even think of searching for the subject either. :oops:

Had a quick look at one of the other threads so it looks like theres a few options. Although moving to Queensland just isnt viable at this stage. ;)

and the "buying a z750" option isnt preferred??
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
Neka79

Postby belair » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:32 pm

I tell you what with the tax return due to come in soon, I havn't ruled out up-grading to an injected bike. And a z would be in the top 2 bikes i'd get too. But I've just about got this bike where I want it in terms of tuning so I'll flog.....er ride it for at least another 6 months or so.
belair

Postby Neka79 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:23 am

belair wrote:I tell you what with the tax return due to come in soon, I havn't ruled out up-grading to an injected bike. And a z would be in the top 2 bikes i'd get too. But I've just about got this bike where I want it in terms of tuning so I'll flog.....er ride it for at least another 6 months or so.

ahh i just had another look at 1st post..its a 98 ... (i had a 99) ..nice lil buggers they are...

an "upgrade" or more a "sidegrade" would be a z750... but a totally different bike is a naked bike (i have just realised this...lol)

good fun tho..cant wait for more summer (u realise how great fairings are when u dont have em)
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
Neka79

Postby biggles08 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:54 pm

belair wrote:The reason I have my doubts about it being carb icing is the reaction of some "experts" after telling them of this problem. A couple of bike shops I asked seemed to have not come across this issue before. And after calling 1300 kawasaki parts division to see if there is an after market carb heater kit available, they said it is only something that would be more likely experienced in parts of Europe.

Cheers JP

Hi belair,

It sounds like it is definitely carb iceing. I have the 98 ZX9R that does the same thing and i do have the heated carbs!?! I only know this because on kiwibiker forum the old owner of my bike recognized my plate and pm'ed me the details of his experiences with carb heating. Turns out he complained to where he bought the bike from and they contacted Kawasaki Japan and they retro fitted heated carbs for it at no cost (not bad for a 6 year old bike at the time)!?!? Apparently Kawasaki made a mistake launching this bike into the NZ market without the heated carbs as they thought the climate was much like Canada which didn't need the heated carbs. The difference is that we are surrounded in water (in NZ that is) and our cold is much more humid than in Canada and this was the key difference. Anyway, the reason my bike has been playing up again even though it has now got the heated carbs is because there is an inline filter for the coolant (which is apparently routed around the carb throttle body to heat them up to stop ice forming) which needs to be regularly cleaned out. If this is not done the lines will block, no coolant will pass through and hence no heat will be transfered the ice will start to build again! I'm not 100% sure where this filter is but I'm about t put my bike in for a service and I'll ask them to check it for me.

I'm not sure if this is very relevant information for you but I thought I would share what I have been told.
Biggles08 ;)
Now 2005, ZX6R 636's ROCK MY WORLD!!!
http://sportbikerider.17.forumer.com/index.php
The politically incorrect bike forum!
biggles08
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Overseas

Postby biggles08 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:56 pm

belair wrote:The reason I have my doubts about it being carb icing is the reaction of some "experts" after telling them of this problem. A couple of bike shops I asked seemed to have not come across this issue before. And after calling 1300 kawasaki parts division to see if there is an after market carb heater kit available, they said it is only something that would be more likely experienced in parts of Europe.

Cheers JP

Hi belair,

It sounds like it is definitely carb iceing. I have the 98 ZX9R that does the same thing and i do have the heated carbs!?! I only know this because on kiwibiker forum the old owner of my bike recognized my plate and pm'ed me the details of his experiences with carb heating. Turns out he complained to where he bought the bike from and they contacted Kawasaki Japan and they retro fitted heated carbs for it at no cost (not bad for a 6 year old bike at the time)!?!? Apparently Kawasaki made a mistake launching this bike into the NZ market without the heated carbs as they thought the climate was much like Canada which didn't need the heated carbs. The difference is that we are surrounded in water (in NZ that is) and our cold is much more humid than in Canada and this was the key difference. Anyway, the reason my bike has been playing up again even though it has now got the heated carbs is because there is an inline filter for the coolant (which is apparently routed around the carb throttle body to heat them up to stop ice forming) which needs to be regularly cleaned out. If this is not done the lines will block, no coolant will pass through and hence no heat will be transfered the ice will start to build again! I'm not 100% sure where this filter is but I'm about t put my bike in for a service and I'll ask them to check it for me.

I'm not sure if this is very relevant information for you but I thought I would share what I have been told.
Biggles08 ;)
biggles08
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby biggles08 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:59 pm

Cheers JP

Hi belair,

Biggles08 ;)
biggles08
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Neka79 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:50 pm

i reckon u should post that 3 times Biggs, in case he ignored ya the 1st time :P
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
Neka79

Postby biggles08 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:36 am

Neka79 wrote:i reckon u should post that 3 times Biggs, in case he ignored ya the 1st time :P

WTF???? How did that happen? Weird
biggles08
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Next

Return to ZX-R / Ninja Current Model Discussion