Carb icing problem on 1998 ZX9R (C1)

ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc

Carb icing problem on 1998 ZX9R (C1)

Postby KaneMortlock » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:51 pm

Hi all,

I've encountered the apparently infamous carb icing problem a couple of times now on my 1998 ZX9R. (Bringing it up from Tassie in July) and then on a ride down the snowy on the weekend.

I've been told originally there was a model recall because of this problem and I think in AMCN there was even an article about a guy who got his 9 retrofitted when it was out of warranty because Kawasaki acknowledged it was a known fault with the model.

I've rang one dealer and got predictably no where so far ... I just thought I'd throw the (apparently well known) subject up on this forum and see what the collective wisdom has to say about this problem.

(For those who haven't encountered it, cold air combined with moisture ices the carbs until they freeze. Basically the bike stutters, goes down cylinder(s) and eventually loses all power, sounding like it has run out of fuel).

Blipping the throttle open and closed continually for 100km wasn't fun for my throttle hand ... :x
"Truly I say to you, if anyone keeps My words, they shall never know death." - JESUS CHRIST (John 8:51)
KaneMortlock

Postby mike-s » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:16 pm

latest amcn, theres a letter from someone that had kawsaki replace it

amcn letters Vol 56 No 09, page 21 wrote:FANKAWATASTIC
I own a 1998 kawasaki zx-9r. I bought it three years ago and i am the third owner. Recently i've had to use the bike as daily reansport. To my dismay, the bike would not run properly below 10'c because the carbies were freezing.

I called my local kawasaki dealer Graham Rye Kawasaki of Colac, to see if there was an easy way to fix the problem. The reply was "Yes, a new bank of carbies." Graham said he would call Kawasaki as this would have been a warranty issue when the bike was new. Graham said that although the bike was out of warranty. Kawasaki would supply a brand new bank of carbies as an act of goodwill. Thanks to Graham Rye and Kawasaki. Thought it was time to share a good news story for a change.

Michael Vale
Bannockburn, Vic

If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki
State: New South Wales

Postby Glen » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:15 pm

I replied to this the other day but it must've got nuked,

I had this on my 98 zx9 and Kwaaka fixed it under warranty. They put new carbs on with water jackets around the bowls that got fed with coolant I think. I've heard of plenty of others though who never had a problem even though they ride in cold shit.

I think the guy in AMCN was probably just lucky. Maybe give Kwawa tech services a call. Kwaka Tech Services by the way is a guy called Peter I think.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby MickLC » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:23 pm

Mine used to freeze up, but only on sustained steady throttle runs around 100km/h in the cold and/or wet, or when it got around 0 degrees on the way to work.

I didn't even ask if Kawasaki Aus would do anything about it :?
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Postby KaneMortlock » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:45 pm

This is looking good so far.

Spoke to Peter at Kawasaki Australia Technical.

I've got to take my 9 to my nearest dealer and get them to confirm whether my bike already has the heater kit installed on it, if not, Peter said they will fix it! :D

So Wednesday it is off to Peter Jordan's I go and hopefully from there the problem will be fixed.

Hopeful :roll:
"Truly I say to you, if anyone keeps My words, they shall never know death." - JESUS CHRIST (John 8:51)
KaneMortlock

Postby Buck » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:06 pm

Moving to Queensland solved the carb icing
on my 7. :lol: Now I just melt under the leathers.
Good to hear its being fixed for you.
Steve
Buck
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Suzuki
State: Queensland

Postby Rusty » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:55 pm

Buck wrote:... Now I just melt under the leathers.

Ya big sook. You looked to be glad of the leather the other day at Morgan Park! :lol:
Rusty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Return to ZX-R / Ninja Current Model Discussion