Men Of Steel

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Men Of Steel

Postby ZX9R Man » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:51 pm

I must say that I cringe when I see young riders who ride in shorts and singlets wearing sand shoes.
I want to be angry but each their own.
I have to question these buffoons as to what part of their mind tells them that they will be ok. They obviously haven't crashed before or are completely ignorant.
I low sided one time and was catapulted over the handle bars and landed head first. Thankfully I was wearing my leathers and an Arai helmet. All saved me from serious injury. I was a little sore later but I recovered ok.
What are your thoughts guys ??
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: New South Wales

Re: Men Of Steel

Postby MadKaw » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Sand shoes...???

Thongs is the go around here.

Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby ZX9R Man » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:30 pm

I think a 'Wall of shame' is warranted here.
I know you can't legislate against stupidity, but I think they should try.
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:16 pm

please - if you want to wear ATGATT - knock yourself out. But don't lecture to riders who have been riding for 35+ years and squidded whenever they felt like it - without ever once falling off, going to hospital or ever looking like one of those ridiculous photos seen on Facebook every summer - of some dickhead who did fall off and graze himself.

Big deal - you fall off a bike you get hurt. One good mate of mine wearing full leathers, fell off his bike while doing a U-turn at 5km. He fell awkwardly - broke his neck and died on the spot. Full leathers made absolutely SFA difference. He could have been riding in the nude for all the difference it made..........

Being lectured about ATGATT just shits me to tears - its the motorcyclists equivalent of a fucking Volvo driver. I am wearing all my leathers therefore I am much safer riding around.................not.

I squid whenever I feel like it - which might be 3 or 4 times every summer. So what. The reality is as simple as this - my choice of clothing on any ride - has no bearing whatsoever on increasing or decreasing the chances of having a prang on that ride. None. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Nada. The choice of clothing makes no statistical difference in any way, shape or form.

Yes, if I fall off - it will hurt a lot. My choice. The way the ATGATT crowd carry on about squids, its like they think that EVERY SINGLE TIME someone rides in shorts and a t-shirt - they will end up in hospital with grazing over 95% of their body. What a fucking crock of shit.

Mate I understand you are new to this forum and are contributing a lot of new posts - that is great :kuda: - so please don't take this as a personal sledge. I would say exactly the same things if some old cunnox from here had a shot at squidders as well ;).

This topic comes up all the time - you can't change people so just smile and wave next time you see a squid. It could be me :lol:

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby fireyrob » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:23 pm

I squid to work once every few weeks. Middle of the city with speeds up to 50kph... Either the roady or the pushie. I feel safer doing it on the roady tbh But maybe I should leather up on the pushie?

Not having a go but like Goz said [WINKING FACE]
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby Gazza » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:57 am

What's ATGATT :shock: :shock: :shock:
2005 zx10r
Gazza
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Gazza » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:58 am

Google told me :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll:
2005 zx10r
Gazza
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby bonester » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:31 am

Well said Gos. Did some serious squidding here while on hols recently. 60km/h is my personal squidding limit but sometimes exceed that too. Pretty rare tho. :D
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Glen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:55 am

Gosling1 wrote:don't take this as a personal sledge. I would say exactly the same things if some old cunnox from here 8)

Hey I resemble that remark........cunnox :P
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby bonester » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:20 am

Just noticed old mates post said 'young riders'. Counts most of us out Gos huh. :)
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby QQQ » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:02 am

Well said Goz :kuda:

Totally agree with you mate.
QQQ

State: Queensland

Postby Smitty » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:17 pm

.. 100 % with the Gos
you can argue all you like but no-one can be taught commonsense.

ps.. luv Dave (MadKaws) pic
coz we all know you slide further in the wet :twisted:
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R
State: Victoria

Postby robracer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Agree with both Gos & ZX9R Man but tend to shy away from squidding, its a personal choice let those who ride decide yeah, side note ......our insurance premiums will keep going up anyway regardless of how many get scraped off the tarmac lol :lol:
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby ZedOne » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:15 pm

I fully agree that it is each to their own. What gets me is the ATGATT crowd, most will say along the lines of ''it isn't a matter of if, it's a matter of when you will fall off''

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't ever go out on a ride with the mindset that I 'may' fall off. It's been 21 years of road riding thus far and I am fine. Not a scrape. I feel if you think this way, you need to get off your bike, because it isn't for you.

Besides, gear only stops abrasions etc. You can have all the gear on in the world, but an impact will soon flap that 'safety gear mindset' up.

I do admit though, I ride with most gear on most of the time. If I shoot down the shop or the likes, I'll squid it. I mostly wear gear on my way to work, early mornings, rural highway. Mainly to be not hit by a gazillion bugs if anything. And if I am going for a spirited twisties ride.

I respect others opinions and choices, but what I don't respect is when it is pushed down your throat.

On a little funny side note: My Dad is a rider safe trainer, and one time pulled into town. One of his students noticed him and walked over to him asking him about his shorts, tshirt and thongs attire. :kuda:
Kawasaki. Let The Good Times Roll
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

State: South Australia

Postby ss3217 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:58 pm

This is a curly one, it's the freedom in my book being half naked.
1983 between Kununurra and Windham.

But on the other side, my pillion and l come-a-guttsa big time some months later, not my fault, too much Scrumpy Cider and late speedway meeting in Kununurra, l was wearing my favourite lid, the black open face which as you can see crack the side after my head hit hard, no damage to head but my leg was fcuked, now mate on the back with blue full face would of lost half his face with open facer, after 40 years on the black top l still ride half naked, open face etc... user choice, freedom.

ss3217

State: Western Australia

Next

Return to Riding Gear Discussion