Helmet Camera Mounting Ideas/Suggestions

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Helmet Camera Mounting Ideas/Suggestions

Postby ZedOne » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:31 pm

[Warning: Long Post]

Hi Everyone. Thought I would kick off a thread about different ways of mounting your helmet cam. Reason behind this, is I have found most cameras come with mounts, that you have to permanently leave on. Once on, they are stuck in one spot, so if you want to change positions or angles etc, you have to either rip it off, or stick another on.

This annoys me because I hate the look of it on a nice helmet, plus some you get wind noise from them.

So I have played around a bit, and came to an satisfactory idea that is not only neat, you can hardly notice it when you don't have the camera mounted, and is cheap.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to keep using the mount that came with the Replay HD because of its curved base that fits the profile of the helmet nicely. These require you to use their double sided tape to permanently stick the mount to the helmet. So what I did, was replace the double sided sticky pad with this...http://solutions.3m.com.au/wps/portal/3 ... e/Details/ It is called 3M Ringlock.

This stuff can hold up to 1KG of weight per 50mm. Impressive. It is in Bunnings and cost me around $10 for a metre roll.

I then stuck the other side of the ringlock to the helmet. I done it this way as this side is really flat and hard to see. I also used a long strip as then I can move it back and forwards as desired. When the camera is not in use, this is all that is left on the helmet.
A few pictures from different angles.

I used the little 'safety strap' that came with the kit for a few trial runs. Put a little rubber bung on the end, that sits snugly in the front vent, just in case.

So that's it! Now when I don't wear the camera, I am not left with an ugly plastic mount stuck to the helmet. 3M says the HeavyDuty stuff, you can pull apart up to 5000 times before replacement.

I have road tested it (in a controlled area :kuda: for up to 160kmp/h so far. Has not moved at all. The HD stuff also says it is good for outside conditions. Yet to test in rain.

All in all, I am pretty happy with it, and hope it may help others looking for a similar thing. I am sure it will work with a variety of mounts.

:D
Kawasaki. Let The Good Times Roll
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Z1000
State: South Australia

Re: Helmet Camera Mounting Ideas/Suggestions

Postby ZX9R Man » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:48 pm

Hey mate, Nice set up. Helmet cam is awesome.
I don't have any gear as yet, but will consider getting a couple maybe a little down the track.

My idea is to place one behind the screen and one on the exhaust side somewhere to capture both exhaust notes and turning into corners.

Perhaps a sneaky one facing rear too..See how fast things disappear Lol !
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: New South Wales

Postby ZedOne » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:39 pm

ZX9R Man wrote:Hey mate, Nice set up. Helmet cam is awesome.
I don't have any gear as yet, but will consider getting a couple maybe a little down the track.

My idea is to place one behind the screen and one on the exhaust side somewhere to capture both exhaust notes and turning into corners.

Perhaps a sneaky one facing rear too..See how fast things disappear Lol !

Cheers. It is amazing the difference of attitude of others around you when there is a camera to when I don't have it on.

Plus the insurance side of things.

But mostly I like to keep footage of some rides I go on that capture some great roads/scenery and a bit of spirited riding.

I can recommend the Replay XD HD camera as it has been faultless and captures clear footage. They are small. I have the 1080 and 720. I use the 1080 on y helmet and the 720 attached to the bike for rear vision. But to be honest, it is hard to tell the difference. I picked them up on a sale they had, and scored the pair for around $400 by memory.
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Postby ZX9R Man » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:53 pm

Very nice mate.

So do you think the Go Pro series of cams are over rated ?

I agree with having some videos for memories of those spirited rides and just going somewhere nice and having to share them with family and friends.

The Hoon stuff may be for the privileged few who take a dim view on road safety.. Come on man.. these are motorbikes for crying out loud !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby ZedOne » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:50 pm

ZX9R Man wrote:do you think the Go Pro series of cams are over rated ?

I don't think they are over rated, they have a use for what they are intended for.

However, personally myself, They are bloody huge to put onto a helmet. Plus the mounting side of thing to a helmet.

It is why I went for a dedicated and designed camera for helmets only.

Contour make another type for moto helmets and are good quality also. Heard good things about them.

Reason why I went with the Replay XD:

Great reviews. From online and a few real life riders I chatted with.
They are a good price for what they are.
The body of the camera is metal.
It looked the best and easiest to mount. Albeit I came up with my own method, as it looks cleaner and I don't have a plastic mount permanently stuck to my helmet. Just that thin flat velcro which is hardly visible.
They were on special, so all of the above solved the choice for me.
And I also competition pistol shoot, so I can clip it on to the peak of my cap and get some great footage, without it being big and intrusive, like a gopro.

Also, on a side note. These a very easy to operate with gloves on even. Simple buttons on top..and it has a strong vibration that you can feel through the helmet, to let you know when it starts recording, when it is going flat etc with certain types of vibrations. Can also take snap shots (photos) while in recording mode by pressing a button. Great when doing a beach run in summer. 8)
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Postby ZX9R Man » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:15 pm

I agree on the go pro being mounted up high, they look stupid. Better suited to the bike itself.

Something sleek and less obtrusive on the helmet is the best way I think.

I'll check out the Replay XD.

Thanks man.
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby ZX9R Man » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:32 pm

Oh, Forgot to ask..

Howz the battery life ?

Just looking at it on the bay and no mention about batteries/etc.
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby ZedOne » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:12 pm

ZX9R Man wrote:Oh, Forgot to ask..

Howz the battery life ?

Just looking at it on the bay and no mention about batteries/etc.

I run a class 10 32GB card, and with a full charge get about 100 minutes. That is on 60fps...you can switch them to 30fps and I guess that would conserve some battery.

If I am going for a long ride I take a small xiamoi power bank, and when I stop for some lunch, I top it up. :D
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Postby ZedOne » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:19 pm

I haven't used these guys before, but it seems they have some specials on at the moment.

http://www.motorcycleracegear.com.au/re ... -mini.html
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Postby ZX9R Man » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Yes Class 10 for quality video. But those big gig sd cards are expensive hey ?

You'd think they'd drop in price by now..

Thanks for the link too..
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby ZedOne » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:57 pm

ZX9R Man wrote:Yes Class 10 for quality video. But those big gig sd cards are expensive hey ?

You'd think they'd drop in price by now..

Thanks for the link too..

I pick them up fairly cheap now and then from one of my most visited websites ....ozbargain. lol.

Just an example...I got a couple from this deal last time

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/153291
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Return to Riding Gear Discussion