Helmets

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Helmets

Postby Zombie » Wed May 18, 2005 2:25 pm

Bugger, bugger, bolox.

I've been informed that my lovely, only worn 5 times helmet is not legal.
WHY?
Because its only got the British Kite Mark on it and not the official Aussie one :twisted:
I thought I'd go along to VicRoads and ask for the right sticker to put on, thinking that the requirements and standards will be the same if not better for the UK.
They nicely informed me NO! :twisted: Saw a couple of men in blue (almost didn't recognise them without donuts :D ) and asked them that if they ever pulled me over would they fine me? Yes they would, cos as far as they are concerned my helmet is classed as a hat.
They did suggest that I get in touch with the importers and ask them for a sticker (- yeah right!! like they dont want me to part with another $400 for an identical bloody helmet).

Anybody here know the specifications of helmets?
How much the fine is?
Would it affect an insurance claim (if ever need one)?

Cheers.

P.S. Its a FM make.
My age? 29 + Postage
Zombie
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZZR250
State: Victoria

re: Helmets

Postby Felix » Wed May 18, 2005 2:31 pm

Unless the importers can get you one, you are pretty much screwed. Ask them first. Other than that, if it was an Australian company that sold it to you (you didn't buy it in from overseas) then you could maybe take it to fair trading or consumer affairs as they sold you an item you could not use in this country.
- Team Furball -

Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Suzuki
State: Overseas

Postby Smitty » Wed May 18, 2005 3:00 pm

as he said.... laughing4.gif laughing4.gif laughing4.gif laughing4.gif

it MUST have the AS sticker!
BS or Snell or M90 is no good without the AS sticker

brand? who cares if its legal in UK or Outer Uzbekistan
if the brand has an AS Sticker its legal in Oz

and the penalty in Vic
from memory, 3 Penalty points
and I think the latest is $110 per point
(the penalty value is done by regulation, that way you do not have to change the law. If you want to change the fine, a govt gazette publication is all that is needed)
so total...$330

buy a new helmet.....
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Re: Helmets

Postby Glen » Wed May 18, 2005 3:33 pm

Zombie wrote:I've been informed that my lovely, only worn 5 times helmet is not legal.

Where did you buy it from?
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby red_dave » Wed May 18, 2005 3:51 pm

It sounds all too hard...

I'd just get a new helmet and be done with it... :?
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R
State: Queensland

Postby MickLC » Wed May 18, 2005 4:02 pm

Apparently manufacturers like Shoei make the helmets slightly differently for different markets to ensure it meets their varied crash testing requirements. So there's probably no chance of getting an AS sticker for a helmet that meets overseas standards.
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Postby mattyv74 » Wed May 18, 2005 4:11 pm

Mate, a serious suggestion.
Go down to cash convertors, or eevn the op shop, and peel a sticker off a crapy helmet sitting there for sale.
But worth noting that I have been booked for doing most things on a bike, and have never had my helmet looked at. :wink:
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Bike: ZX7R

Postby Yankee » Wed May 18, 2005 4:22 pm

uh, what are the chances of getting pulled over by a cop that actually knows the helmet laws?? I used my american helmet for about a year before I got a new one and never had any dramas..... just depends how lucky you are feeling i guess??
it's BS, cuz it's about safety, and you are just as safe (if not safer) as anyone else out there with the little stupid sticker affixed..... :roll:
i know what i'd be doing, but it's up to you!!! is it a nice lid??
Yankee
Team Ninja

Postby MickLC » Wed May 18, 2005 4:42 pm

Matty, have you ever pulled one of those stickers off a helmet? I did to an old one that I'd binned and the some of the silver backing stays permanently stuck to the helmet with the word VOID spelled out. So then you've got a sticker that says void and a helmet that says void.
Apparently the bit that stays on the helmet sticks like shit to a blanket too.

They obviously have already thought of that trick :wink:
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Postby mattyv74 » Wed May 18, 2005 4:46 pm

well worth a try to get round that beurocratic crap. :cry:
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Bike: ZX7R

Postby Glen » Wed May 18, 2005 5:03 pm

You can spot a bodgey sticker a mile away. Once you peel them off the top and bottom are screwed because the void wording will show up on both. You'll never be able to use it at a track day or training course etc.

The most dissappointing case I saw was a young lady who came to an L's course with her brand new Doohan rep which cost her $900 plus and she had peeled the sticker off because it looked ugly.

For reference don't buy a helmet from anywhere except a bike shop, check for the AS sticker and check the date of manufacture on the inside of the helmet, remembering they are only good for 3 - 5 years. After that they can look brand new but the styrofoam liner (the bit that protects your scone) will be stuffed.

I'd put this one down to experience. Go and buy yourself a new helmet and save the grief.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby HemiDuty » Wed May 18, 2005 5:05 pm

You could just keep that helmet for track days, they didn't check mine for a sticker when I went, even if they did you would probably be ok since it has a UK one.

Maybe there is a way to get the sticker off old helmets without 'voiding' it?
Drmsby Middleton
DC Racing

Extreme Motorsports
M2R
Castrol
ColourSmart Chroming
Hi Side Leathers
Teknic
Sidi
DID Racing Chain
Goodridge
HemiDuty
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Don't have one

Re: re: Helmets

Postby Phil » Wed May 18, 2005 5:13 pm

mattyv74 wrote:Mate, a serious suggestion.
Go down to cash convertors, or eevn the op shop, and peel a sticker off a crapy helmet sitting there for sale.

usually when you try and peel one of those stickers off it comes out with the word "VOID" making it useless anyway.

i'd be going back to where you got it and getting them to sort it out. (that is unless of course you got it cheap overseas)
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby photomike666 » Wed May 18, 2005 5:18 pm

Zombies hat was purchased in UK when we lived there. We were hoping that with a group this size someone might know where to "acquire" a sticker from :lol: It's probably that most wouldn't notice what sticker is on, but there is always a chance. It's just a shame to lay waste to a perfectly good lid.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R

Postby tape » Wed May 18, 2005 5:21 pm

The AS sticker is a "destuctible mark" similar to that used for sealing measuring equipment. There is no way of removing the AS sticker intact.

Alex, I would suggest ya blame the world's standards systems and buy a new "hat"... it sucks but it is in best interest of everyone that the helmets comply to Australian Standards cos there are some shockers from other countries that just don't cut the mustard.

Pinch Mikes or just use it a good excuse for a newbie....
Mick :drinkers:
If ya don't expect, ya don't get dissapointed.
http://www.insptag.com.au
tape
Team Ninja

Bike: Other Kawi

Next

Return to Riding Gear Discussion