Helmets

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Re: re: Helmets

Postby javaman » Wed May 18, 2005 5:26 pm

Glen wrote:You can spot a bodgey sticker a mile away. Once you peel them off the top and bottom are screwed because the void wording will show up on both. You'll never be able to use it at a track day or training course etc.

DAMN!!! There goes the cheap shoei I was about to buy in Thailand :evil: Glad I read this post though :shock:

AND HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THE SAFETY OF HARLEY-STYLED HELMETS ?? They have AS stickers you know ....
alien.gif andi - Red GPZ900R, GPZ750R1, KLR650 Tengai, KLR250
"my dad's motorbike is cool it is all ways clean.oheter pepole' s motorbikes
are't like my dad's one it's because their is one not always clean."
-ariel circa 2007
http://GPZninja.blogspot.com/
javaman
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPz900
State: Victoria

Postby Glen » Wed May 18, 2005 5:37 pm

javaman wrote:
Glen wrote:You can spot a bodgey sticker a mile away. Once you peel them off the top and bottom are screwed because the void wording will show up on both. You'll never be able to use it at a track day or training course etc.

DAMN!!! There goes the cheap shoei I was about to buy in Thailand :evil: Glad I read this post though :shock:

AND HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THE SAFETY OF HARLEY-STYLED HELMETS ?? They have AS stickers you know ....

Correct Weight. The standard only really tests for impact resistance on the top of the shell, so even though you might lose the bottom half of your face, that clearly isn't a problem to those that know better than us.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

re: Helmets

Postby tape » Wed May 18, 2005 5:43 pm

Harley styled helmets???? I take it you mean open face helmets?

As long as you hit the ground where there is protection they are safe...

Why is there MX helmets approved for road use? Those extended chin guards would rip your neck back and snap it...

Not too many HD riders think about falling off, gawd I hope my brother doesn't read this...lol

T had a AS approved plastic based Lazer helmet when she had the accident and it saved her beautiful head.

I dunno why I'm rambling for anyway?
Mick :drinkers:
If ya don't expect, ya don't get dissapointed.
http://www.insptag.com.au
tape
Team Ninja

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby Glen » Wed May 18, 2005 5:45 pm

photomike666 wrote:Zombies hat was purchased in UK when we lived there. We were hoping that with a group this size someone might know where to "acquire" a sticker from :lol: It's probably that most wouldn't notice what sticker is on, but there is always a chance. It's just a shame to lay waste to a perfectly good lid.

Unfortunately Zombie's buggered as far as legality goes. Provided the helmet is safe it really only matters a toss if you're worried about getting pulled up and booked or if you try and do something where they check helmets though. Until the dough's available to replace it with something of a similar quality you'd certainly use it rather than picking up a shitty one with a sticker.
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby aardvark » Wed May 18, 2005 5:58 pm

Here is a post I put up on the old Yahoo forum in February, 2003.

"As I have previously mentioned, I was looking at importing a helmet from the U.S. It's a model that is already sold here, and is both DOT and Snell approved.

I had some simple questions. Could I legally import it? Could I use it? And what be the legal/insurance consequences of using the helmet within Australia.

Shouldn't be too hard to find out you'd think? Think again... here's what happened.

Spoke to the traffic adjudication people of my local Police. Their response was that as far as they knew, a helmet had to meet Australian Standards, but they had no idea if a helmet being imported (one the same as a model already sold here) could be used?

So, ring and speak to the Dept. of Transport. Spoke to 2 people there before being given the number of Standards Australia. Spoke to 2 people there, who had no idea, and gave me the number of NATA (National Australian Testing Agency, or something to that effect). Spoke to someone there, who said that they'd have someone return my call. The person who returned my call said he didn't know, and that I should speak to the RTA Crash Lab in Sydney (The people who test all helmet batches being imported.) Spoke to a bloke there who wasn't sure, so in the end was put through to Derek. What a legend. After 3 days of stuffing around, he gave me the low down. And, bare with me, I know this is getting lengthy, here is the end result.

In simple terms, the answer is NO! You cannot legally ride with an imported helmet, and you have no recourse as far as insurance is concerned if you do wear one and suffer brain damage etc. in an accident!

I wanted to know, why this would be the case. Especially since the helmet is the same model as one sold here, and meets Snell and DOT approvals.

Firstly, Australian Standards require that helmets sold in Australia have certain penetration capabilities. They use a 3kg spike and drop it on the helmet from 3 foot or some such thing. Snell and DOT testing does not incorporate this.

The helmets are manufactured and imported in batches. Each batch destined for Australia (1,000 helmets, 10,000 helmets, who knows?) must be tested, and the Australian Standard approval is assigned for that batch only. As Derek explained, manufacturers often change the density of inner liners, shells, and even the composition of helmet components. So, each batch has to be individually tested.

The standard is also a test of the process of importing the helmet and the Q.A. involved with that process.

So, I asked, can I get a helmet tested. Well, yes. But, 8 helmets must be tested out of a given batch and testing costs are likely to cost several thousand dollars. Let me give you the strong tip. I ain't buying 9 helmets, just so I can wear one.

Anyway, that's where the saga ends. Anyone thinking they might like to import a helmet from overseas, think again. If you still want to do it, consider the insurance and legal consequences."
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby Smitty » Wed May 18, 2005 6:05 pm

tape wrote:T had a AS approved plastic based Lazer helmet when she had the accident and it saved her beautiful head.

Jan had an AS approved Lazer helmet that she was wearing when we had our 'off ' on the Toyrun. It was a big accident and the helmet smacked the road...hard. The helmet 'died' and she did not...
(the piccies are in the Toyrun 'Off' topic posted here)
what more can i say....
get an AS approved helmet!
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Zombie » Wed May 18, 2005 7:47 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Im not saying that AS helmets are not safe or anything and I trust those, its just I trust the British Kite Mark more. Personnally I think they have the toughest safety standards, the AS might be equal to the BKM, I dont know, thats what I was hoping your answers would tell.
The Policemen said that customs should've cut the straps off my helmet when it came in, :twisted: bloody glad they didn't, I might need it when go visit rellies!
So looks like I'd better get a new one, great, SHOPPING! If I can find one thats blue and silver with a seat belt buckle/quick release (hate those D rings), and XS.
OK another brain twister: How about leather pants and boots? I know they are not a legal requirement so theres none of this testing stuff, but is it OK to import, being an animal product? Its just that I've looked and looked and can only find about 3 pairs of ladies boots and the pants are mostly fashion crap. The UK sites I've browsed are as well stocked with ladies as mens. Also they cheaper including postage :evil:

Cheers
My age? 29 + Postage
Zombie
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZZR250

Postby Smitty » Wed May 18, 2005 9:38 pm

Zombie wrote:OK another brain twister: How about leather pants and boots? I know they are not a legal requirement so theres none of this testing stuff, but is it OK to import, being an animal product? Its just that I've looked and looked and can only find about 3 pairs of ladies boots and the pants are mostly fashion crap. The UK sites I've browsed are as well stocked with ladies as mens. Also they cheaper including postage :evil:

Cheers

mate
importing leathers is fine (there is NO Aust standard on them)
you might even get 'em in no duty or GST

leathers in Oz....?
see here ( I was bored.... :lol: )
http://69.90.170.150/~ksrcau/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=391
we have done our best to list all the local guys
think Dan made it a sticky as well (Dan, did you..?)

hth

cheers
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Neka79 » Wed May 18, 2005 10:08 pm

hmm every lid ive crashed in (agv,arai and axo) and im still as pretty as i started out.....thanks lids!!
however i did take the AS sticker off the axo the day i got it (cos its so ugly) and i never once got picked on it, including 3 track days, and various times pulled over!!
it still has the AS label on the inside tho...
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900

Postby Glen » Thu May 19, 2005 8:37 am

Zombie wrote:If I can find one thats blue and silver with a seat belt buckle/quick release (hate those D rings

Without trying to sound like someones mother, I'd ideally avoid the seat belt fasteners.

As Aaardvarks post mentioned each batch of helmets gets tested when they come in. I used to deal a bit with an importer of one of the more popular brand of helmets and the statistics on the failure rates of the mechanical fasteners are pretty ordinary ie something like one in eight.

The double D's can be a pain but they are absolutely the best option from a safety point of view.
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby gizmo » Thu May 19, 2005 8:31 pm

I was sure the AS is harder to pass than the Snell test? I remember reading in a bike magazine a few years ago & I'm sure the Aussie test was harder than the snell testing?
Hello there I was told your a nice friendly girl
with a kind face! & easy.......
signed
"GIZMO THE CREEKY"
gizmo
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R
State: Queensland

Postby Neka79 » Thu May 19, 2005 8:54 pm

i thought SNELL was the top rating worldwide?? and yea, those D rings are heaps better than seat belt types....
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79

Bike: Z900

Postby T » Thu May 19, 2005 9:48 pm

My laser had snap clip locks i love them they were so much easier to do up and undo but ................. my new lid has those blardy D rings. My new lid Tape bought for $170 is a Nitro N510-V ( Pictures attached).

It comes in Red, black , silver, white
Blue, Black Silver, white
Black Silver and White

Just in case you were interested Alex.............

oh yeah btw....... how did your test go??? :D :D
Attachments
IMGP1296.JPG
Top lid
IMGP1296.JPG (48.61 KiB) Viewed 5661 times
IMGP1293.JPG
Side helmet
IMGP1293.JPG (47.53 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
IMGP1294.JPG
Back Helmet
IMGP1294.JPG (47.56 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
Terrie ( T )
One day I'll grow up and not take people serious ........ Nah don't think so, It hurts to much!
T
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZZR600

Postby Smitty » Thu May 19, 2005 10:18 pm

neka79 wrote:i thought SNELL was the top rating worldwide?? .

neka
the SNELL certification is about equal to the AS test with one main diff...
the AS test is continuous-

"For the first 10 batches of any helmet in production, four out of every 400 is put to the test. These are intensive, destructive tests and any batch which fails is summarily dismissed and returned to the drawing board.
Until these tests have taken place and been passed, the helmet cannot be certified.

On the other hand, once a particular helmet type has passed and been certified, after 10 ‘successful’ batches, testing is scaled back to four helmets in every 1000.

Where the helmet continues to pass the tests, certification is continued.

If any change in design, materials or any other feature of the helmet occurs, it must be submitted again for testing and verification. Once passed, generally batch testing begins again at the four in 400 ratio.

This ongoing batch testing sets the Australian testing and standardization requirements apart from those in other countries because it is proactive; it seeks to prevent or reduce the possibility of product failure. "

The actual tests are the same. (as per the SNELL and Standards Aust sites)

hth

cheers
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby aardvark » Fri May 20, 2005 12:42 am

gizmo wrote:I was sure the AS is harder to pass than the Snell test? I remember reading in a bike magazine a few years ago & I'm sure the Aussie test was harder than the snell testing?

From the RTA Crash Lab:

Australian Standards require that helmets sold in Australia have certain penetration capabilities. They use a 3kg spike and drop it on the helmet from 3 foot. Snell and DOT testing does not incorporate this.
aardvark

Bike: Yamaha

PreviousNext

Return to Riding Gear Discussion