Which Bike to Bike Intercom is best?

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Postby Leanne » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:09 pm

After heading off for a two day ride up the Old Road and for a visit to some friends who are in the middle of nowhere in paradise and then onto Singleton, then back down through the Putty the next day, it came to our attention that some of the turns that were missed could have been avoided if we had bike to bike intercom to communicate with.

As much as we've both thought one of the best things about getting on the bike was not having to talk to anyone and enjoy that time to one's self, now we are considering getting bike to bike intercom, but there's so many to choose from.

We also want to be able to hook up to the phone and play music through the head phones, etc. as that's what it will be used for mostly and can you plug your own earphones into them. I have the music ear mold ear phones that I need to ride with as my bike exhaust is too loud to ride without them.

Can anyone who has and uses one recommend one or let us know if their's is crap.
Road '10 ZX10R
Dirt '99 KLX250
Race '90 CBR400
Leanne
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Which Bike to Bike Intercom is best?

Postby 6maniac » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:24 pm

The question is ...... who didn't keep up with who ??? :shock:

Unless you both have Nolan's, Scala is probably the go ..
I've spent over 40 years of my life riding bikes .... the rest of it, I wasted ..
If it's got wheels or tits, it's gonna give you trouble !
HCST #2
Team Black '09 ..... R.I.P. - 2011.
Back in Black....2011.
6maniac
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z750

Postby 6maniac » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:40 pm

I've spent over 40 years of my life riding bikes .... the rest of it, I wasted ..
HCST #2
Back in Black....2011.
6maniac
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby MAXUMIS » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:42 pm

I would never use one my self,i have enough trouble keeping things write at the best of times :oops:
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Nelso » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:54 pm

6maniac wrote:The question is ...... who didn't keep up with who ??? :shock:

Not that. It was more like we had our indicators on ready to turn and all of a sudden she changes her mind and pisses off in a different direction, with me saying to myself "where the fuck is she going?". Also, my speedo wasn't working (thanks to another speedo cable breaking) so Leanne was in front a lot, but she didn't know where to go because she has FDD (female direction disorder). It would have saved a few wrong turns and wasted time back tracking. It would be good to link it to a GPS, at times, too.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby 6maniac » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Maybe just do GPS, either using your phones via Bluetooth .... or a dedicated unit i.e. - Garmin or TomTom.

Garmin was faultless for me in UK & Europe ( I did turn the voice nav off, though ... it's annoying if you decide to divert from the chosen route)
HCST #2
Back in Black....2011.
6maniac
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Wattie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 pm

I have chucked my gps in my tank bag before. You can glance down and see where you need to go when you you feel like it.
As for intercoms?

Ponti had a homemade set up using a handheld UHF radio. Worked ok if I remember correctly.

Old mans Harley has a cb radio and intercom. It senses your voice, so no buttons. Just press button to talk on cb... Breaker breaker! 10/4. ;)
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Leanne » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Nelso wrote:

Not that. It was more like we had our indicators on ready to turn and all of a sudden she changes her mind and pisses off in a different direction, with me saying to myself "where the fuck is she going?". Also, my speedo wasn't working (thanks to another speedo cable breaking) so Leanne was in front a lot, but she didn't know where to go because she has FDD (female direction disorder). It would have saved a few wrong turns and wasted time back tracking. It would be good to link it to a GPS, at times, too.

Nasty.... :butthead:
Road '10 ZX10R
Dirt '99 KLX250
Race '90 CBR400
Leanne
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby smithy5 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:04 am

I checked this out a while ago when I was getting a new helmet and I went with the Shark Tooth, but it is ONLY suitable for Shark Helmets. Any other helmet and I would have gone with the Scala, but I wasn't keen on their visible microphone....

With the Shark Tooth everything is concealed inside, ie battery, earpieces, microphone, no wires or anything visible apart from the small/thin multifunction button 3M taped to the outside of your helmet. You can listen to music, answer the phone, GPS navigator, and bike to bike comms (with other brands aswell).

Although I just discovered that with an iphone the music is very soft, unlike my old Nokia, I normally just wear ordinary earplugs and could still easily hear the music, but now with the iphone I can't hear the music at higher revs. I will have to check if I can make the music louder on the phone, I hope I dont' need to revert back to cable earpieces. HTH...
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby ZORDO » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:14 pm

Sena SMH10 is great. bluetooth phone, ipod, bike to bike.up to 3 other riders. 900 yard range. :kuda:
Can hear music even with ear plugs & high revs
Cheers
ZORDO
Warming up
Warming up

State: Queensland

Postby Strika » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:47 pm

Leanne wrote:
Nelso wrote:

Nasty.... :butthead:

Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think your treading a fine line between where you are now and where you will be when you get to my age!! Watch it....you'll soon be driving a beige Nissan, with brown trim and have a hat and box of tissues on your parcel shelf.................... like me!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Strika » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:54 pm

As for intercoms, I had a bluetooth set up when I was doing lots of touring on the beemer back in 07-09. I for the life of me can't remember which one it was and it's prolly had 15 upgrades since then. But, I will find out what it was and get back to you. As for how it worked, it was cracking. I could sit on 200+ gazelles and the caller could not tell I was talking on anything other than a normal handset. My clients used to freak out whe nI told them I was doing 100 gazelles around a 45 marked turn with the knee grazing the tarmac. I even occasionally would have to lift my visor and rev the motor so they could tell i was on a bike. From memory I think it was a blueant jobbie, but I could be getting it mixed with my car stuff. Plus I am absolutely trousered right now, so nothing I type should be relied upon. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Can you tell???? Can't wait to read the crap i've typed tomorrow..... :)

Drug's are good OK MR. Mackee!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Naked Twin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:57 am

Strika, did you find out what you were using? I tried a couple a few years ago and thought they were rubbish so keen to see what works as I am about to buy a new helmet as well.
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki

Postby Nelso » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 am

Can you plug headphones into any of them rather than have the speakers in the helmet?
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby smithy5 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:27 am

smithy5 wrote:I just discovered that with an iphone the music is very soft, unlike my old Nokia, I normally just wear ordinary earplugs and could still easily hear the music, but now with the iphone I can't hear the music at higher revs. I will have to check if I can make the music louder on the phone, I hope I dont' need to revert back to cable earpieces. HTH...

Fixed........... uploaded an iphone app "LouderLogic"
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Next

Return to Riding Gear Discussion