Custom Leathers

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Custom Leathers

Postby mmamster » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:38 am

All

I have been using Alpinestars 2 pc suit now for a few years and unfortunately its a bit of a tight fit. A couple of kids tends to do that to you. Thinking of getting some custom made leathers and wondering whether someone can give me an idea of options. Seems gmoto is a high quality option but how much are they for a basic well perforated suit? Anyone have view of Tiger angel or can anyone suggest another option?

Cheers
Mark
CBR1000RR 2009 roadie, ZX10R 2008 track
GSXR600 K7 road sold 12/09 (as a wreck)
GSXR600K7 racebike sold 10/11
ZZR 250 sold 2/2007
mmamster
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Re: Custom Leathers

Postby born green » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:01 am

Ur in melbourne, so maybe try tiger angel, can go to there web site and have a look, worth a look, they seem to be well made.
they do have a good rep.
96 ZX7R roady
07 ZX10R tracky. to many mods to list here!
95 tickford XR6,
SO MANY KAWASAKI'S SO LITTLE TIME
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby the kid » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:57 am

Tiger Angel are good , and it will easier for you to get measured up as they are close . If you get measured up by them they will ask how tight you want the suit too . There is always good after sales service from TigerAngel . They make the stuff up right there , not sent away so they can repair / alter their product .
Having said all that a Gimoto made to measure in Kangaroo would be great as a race suit , but $$$ .
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha

Postby z900/zx9 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:01 am

Just ordered a suit from tiger angel and pick it up on friday,yep as i had the island the following week they said i could have it in one week :lol: So pretty impressed with there attitude.I will give a full review after P Island.
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby mmamster » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:29 am

z900/zx9 wrote:Just ordered a suit from tiger angel and pick it up on friday,yep as i had the island the following week they said i could have it in one week :lol: So pretty impressed with there attitude.I will give a full review after P Island.

Z how much was it? Can you get the suit perforated?
Mark
ZZR 250 sold 2/2007
mmamster
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Jonno » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:30 am

the kid wrote:Having said all that a Gimoto made to measure in Kangaroo would be great as a race suit , but $$$ .

IIRC around $1500 for custom race suit, 3-4 weeks wait for me and you get what you pay for. Well worth it. :D

Contact Irena at Oz Motorcycle Leathers they are the Australian Agents for GiMoto and easy to deal with.

My suit was a perfect fit out of the box and feels great, Measurment chart
You will need a grown up to help you with this preferably someone who can count ;)
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby dilligaf » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:44 am

Big fan of tiger angel. Got leathers and a textile touring suit. Quality of the leather is outstanding.
Another option is Jackson Racing down on the peninsula. Not much promoting leathers
on his site but he makes them.
http://www.jacksonracing.com.au/
there's pictures of his suits on the feedback page and he does do perforated leather.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900

Postby born green » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:19 am

the kid wrote:Tiger Angel are good , and it will easier for you to get measured up as they are close . If you get measured up by them they will ask how tight you want the suit too . There is always good after sales service from TigerAngel . They make the stuff up right there , not sent away so they can repair / alter their product .
Having said all that a Gimoto made to measure in Kangaroo would be great as a race suit , but $$$ .

A question, sure someone will kno, i had not heard of it, so got no idea.
When i bought my berik couple of weeks ago, salesman talked me out of the roo hide set.
reason he said, was that cow hide will only grow so much, and stop,as in once its broken in, thats it. roo leather he keeps growing? so no good for a long term suit? as it keeps stretching.
Anyway i went with cow hide.
Has anyone heard of this?
96 ZX7R roady
95 tickford XR6,
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Nelso » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:42 am

Any leather will only stretch as far as it needs to. How can leather grow? It's dead FFS. dontknow.gif I think the advantage of roo over cow is weight.

FYI. I crashed in my Berik suit and half of the suit needed to be restitched. It did the job fine and held together, but was a bit worse for wear after it.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby born green » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:08 pm

Nelso wrote:Any leather will only stretch as far as it needs to. How can leather grow? It's dead FFS. dontknow.gif I think the advantage of roo over cow is weight.

FYI. I crashed in my Berik suit and half of the suit needed to be restitched. It did the job fine and held together, but was a bit worse for wear after it.

Salesman used the word grow, i think he was refering to, keep on streching!!! buggered if i kno. 1st ive heard of it.
96 ZX7R roady
95 tickford XR6,
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby the kid » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Jonno wrote:
IIRC around $1500 for custom race suit, 3-4 weeks wait for me and you get what you pay for. Well worth it considering how many cows died to cover my fat gut . :D

Was that for a roo suit ?

From what I understand roo is stronger so can be made up thinner , hence lighter and more comfortable .
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Jonno » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:17 pm

the kid wrote:
Jonno wrote:
IIRC around $1500 for custom race suit, 3-4 weeks wait for me and you get what you pay for. Well worth it considering how many cows died to cover my fat gut . :D

Was that for a roo suit ?

From what I understand roo is stronger so can be made up thinner , hence lighter and more comfortable .

Many roo's gave up their lives to protect my gut mate ;)

I believe stingray is even more abrasive resistant but I have only seen it used in gloves.
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby mmamster » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks for the info, I like the look of jackson racing he has some very satisfied customers over on netrider taking him up. Gimoto seems a bit expensive as does Tiger Angel although the option of altering in Melbourne is a good one.

Another option I have found is Pilot which is a US custom brand sold by sportbiketrackgear.com, a website I have used a lot and trust. Here is the link http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=Leather+Race+Suits%3APilot

Cost of a custom made suit starts at $1260 USD delivered.

I'll ring tigerangel and Jackson during the week to get some indication of price. Jackson seems to be about $1200 AUD and tiger closer to $2K.
Mark
ZZR 250 sold 2/2007
mmamster
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby born green » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:59 pm

Tiger angel do a big range of colours to. u can custom colour ur suit on their web site.
96 ZX7R roady
95 tickford XR6,
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Strika » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Whoever told you that kangaroo leather keeps on stretching is full of shit. :roll: Fuck, the crap some people can make up when they want to sell you something! :roll:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Next

Return to Riding Gear Discussion