Helmet Rules

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Helmet Rules

Postby Mizz ZZR » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:03 pm

Hey, we all know very well that once a helmet is hit once, there's no guarantee it'll stand up a second or further time, right?

Does anyone know of anywhere that this information is documented, like in a standard or official document of some kind that I can use as back up in an argument over an insurance claim??

Any help better than "I heard" would be greatly appreciated.

1996 Yamaha Virago 250 - yeah really
2003 ZZR 600
2005 Very Tough Rocket 250
2010 BMW F 800 R
Mizz ZZR
Team ZZR

Bike: Honda
State: Victoria

Re: Helmet Rules

Postby EDU » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:04 pm

I'm pretty sure that if you contact the manufacturer they'll send you an email backing that up (even if just to cover their arses). It can't get any better than that, can it?
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby Cath » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:04 pm

What helmet brand is it? Try the manufacturers website, for example, if you had a HJC, right on their website it says:

"Although your HJC Helmet is constructed with the best materials available to offer a long-lasting product, it will eventually need to be replaced. Immediately replace your helmet if:
• It has suffered an impact. Your helmet is only designed for ONE impact. An impact may fracture the outer shell or compress the impact absorbing liner. You may not be able to detect this damage. Any impact in a crash or a drop from as low as 4 feet is enough to damage your helmet."
http://www.hjchelmets.com/helmet_usage.htm

A letter with the above in it (if yours is a HJC, and maybe even if it isn't) should do the trick. Basically, you have to make it clear to the insurance company that you aren't going away and are happy to spend time arguing with them over it, in a mature and professional manner

You could try this:
"You should not purchase a second-hand helmet, as it may have been involved in a crash or have experienced UV degradation, nor should you lend your helmet to others, as it can affect how the helmet fits your head when returned"
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/mo ... lmets.html
which implies that you shouldn't use a helmet after a crash, and is a bit more official
Road: 2005 ZX10R - not named yet
Road: 2008 Z750 - Kwak
Track: 2006 ZX6R - Yoshi (with a very Genki undertail)
Cath
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: ZX10R

Helmet Rules

Postby tim » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:23 pm

The science behind how it protects your bonce is that the compression of the damping material inside the helmet is what saves your noggin in the instance of impact. Once it's been compressed It can no longer do it's job because the material looses it's damping properties. If you find a scientific article describing this to go along with something from the manufacturer it could help your case.
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby MrWasabi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:37 pm

just kill them with information supporting the same point

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/safety-helmets/
Simpson Performance Products recommends replacement of your helmet after an impact accident or crash. Modern helmets are designed to dissipate energy on impact. After a crash, their effectiveness can be greatly diminished. If you have any doubt about the integrity of your helmet, replace it or at the very least, send it back to us for inspection. Do not take chances with your safety by racing with a compromised helmet.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Safety_Siz ... gCare.aspx
The life of a helmet depends on how it is used. A helmet should be replaced if one or more of the following points apply:

1. There was a fall that resulted in an impact on the helmet.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00425
During a fall or crash, a helmet absorbs much of the force of impact that would otherwise be directed to the head. Thick plastic foam (firm polystyrene) inside the hard outer shell of a helmet provides protection that cushions the blow.

A new helmet should be purchased after a crash. Even if the helmet appears fine, the interior may be damaged.

http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aDroppedHelmet
Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one-use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied, the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general, the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.

http://msf-usa.org/downloads/helmet_CSI.pdf

Both the shell and the liner compress if hit hard, spreading the forces
of impact throughout the helmet material. The more impact-energy
deflected or absorbed, the less there is of it to reach your head and
do damage. Some helmet shells delaminate on impact. Others may
crack and break if forced to take a severe hit; this is one way a helmet
acts to absorb shock. It is doing its intended job. Impact damage
from a crash to the non-resilient liner may be invisible to the eye; it
may look great, but it probably has little protective value left and
should be replaced.

Mistakes:
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

http://www.sentechcomputers.com.au
MrWasabi
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Postby Chitchats » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Hey its your head, your risk. :roll:

Depends on the hit, however simular to a safety harness, 1 fall then chuck out despite no visual signs of wear.

I know what i would do/done.

New lid ;)

:kuda:
Chitchats
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby 6maniac » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Mizz ZZR wrote:Hey, we all know very well that once a helmet is hit once, there's no guarantee it'll stand up a second or further time, right?

Does anyone know of anywhere that this information is documented, like in a standard or official document of some kind that I can use as back up in an argument over an insurance claim??

Any help better than "I heard" would be greatly appreciated.

I had mine replaced by NRMA Ins. after a drop that only slightly scratched the side pod over the visor pivot ... i.e. no damage to the shell.

I didn't know their policy covered helmet replacement, until I made the claim for the bike damage.
I've spent over 40 years of my life riding bikes .... the rest of it, I wasted ..
If it's got wheels or tits, it's gonna give you trouble !
HCST #2
Team Black '09 ..... R.I.P. - 2011.
Back in Black....2011.
6maniac
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z750

Postby Daisy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Chitchats wrote:Hey its your head, your risk. :roll:

I think she wants the insurance to replace it. ;)
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Postby Mizz ZZR » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Yep, Daisy's on the right track. I'm not making the decision for myself - I am very well aware of the importance of replacing it, and would if I was paying.

I'm claiming through my insurance, who will be recouping the money from the insurance of the driver who pulled out in front of me. There's no argument (or response) just yet, but I want to have the information good to go if there is an argument. I'll also be going for a tinted visor, same as mine that now has a big scratch on it AND one of my gloves that went missing somewhere between the scene, the ambulance and the hospital, so I'll need a new pair of those too.

Thanks for all your advice and I'm glad you said that 6maniac, makes me feel more confident that there wont be any issues.

Fingers crossed eh :kuda:
1996 Yamaha Virago 250 - yeah really
2003 ZZR 600
2005 Very Tough Rocket 250
2010 BMW F 800 R
Mizz ZZR
Team ZZR

Bike: Honda

Helmet Rules

Postby photomike666 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:34 pm

From what I can gather helmet replacement is almost standard for ins claims
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R

Postby EDU » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:36 am

photomike666 wrote:From what I can gather helmet replacement is almost standard for ins claims

+1! They'll prob give you even more than what the gear was worth... the tinted visor won't be that easy I think but if you have a receipt you should be ok.
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby dickfaber » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:24 am

when i got pulled out on, the insurer of the other clown asked for quotes of the exact type of helmet, gloves and jacket i had. when i went to my local bike shop and shoed gthem the letter, they helpfully quoted for everything, full sticker price. and because my helmet had been superseeded, here is a better one, and you'll need a iridium visor too wont you, and here are some alpine stars gloves etc etc etc.
ended up with better gear FOC.
work with the place quoting for you, they can be really helpful here
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
dickfaber
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ER6

Postby rooster » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:52 pm

I had to send my gear down to their office to get the payout, in my case boots Sidi and helmet AGV GP Pro, once received the cheque was forthcoming shortly after, probably got about 80% of the replacement cost. Could have done the jacket and gloves but they wre unmarked so didn't bother. They wont cover the cost of sending it to them by the way.
If life is like a box of chocolates, why do I always get the laxettes?
rooster
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Z1000

Postby Supafrog » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:19 pm

Mizz ZZR wrote:. I'll also be going for a tinted visor, same as mine that now has a big scratch on it

Fingers crossed eh :kuda:

I thought that iridiums and tinted visors weren't road legal.

Does your tinted visor actually say for road use? My agv one specifies track only... so have always wondered about legality of wearing it on road and in a crash...
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R
State: Western Australia

Return to Riding Gear Discussion