Leathers question

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Leathers question

Postby Colette » Wed May 04, 2005 4:11 pm

I hope this isn't too silly a question, but if you are buying a leather jacket and pants, do they have to be the same sizes to be able to zip them together, or can they be different? :?
Colette
Team Cougar

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

re: Leathers question

Postby Ment » Wed May 04, 2005 4:15 pm

that really depends on if they have just the short zip section at the back or a zip that goes all the way around.
Ment
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX7R
State: South Australia

Postby Glen » Wed May 04, 2005 4:32 pm

Don't really know the answer to this one but if you need to get a set of Leathers altered there used to be a lady in Lidcombe called Dushi who was sensationally good at alterations. She used to do warranty work for some of the bike shops who sold imported leathers etc.

If you want I'll try and dig the number up
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Colette » Wed May 04, 2005 4:34 pm

Thanks Glen, will keep that in mind if I need it.

Ment, what is the difference between the two zipper types in that regard?
Colette
Team Cougar

Postby Ment » Wed May 04, 2005 5:05 pm

Well with the short one at the back it wouldnt vary from size to size i.e. always 10cm long (just a guess at the length) with the ones that go all the way around they would have to be roughlty the same circumference as the item so there would be a difference in length for the different sizes.
Im not 100% sure on this but is pretty much right...
Ment
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Cath » Wed May 04, 2005 5:23 pm

Having problems finding a good fit, Collette? Cougars bigger than your ronster? :lol:
Road: 2005 ZX10R - not named yet
Road: 2008 Z750 - Kwak
Track: 2006 ZX6R - Yoshi (with a very Genki undertail)
Cath
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Barrabob » Wed May 04, 2005 5:32 pm

You have to watch between the brands what bit of the zip you have at the top and bottom too so you dont wind up with 2 same halfs of zippers
and you cant stick them together.

I know if you get like agv ones you can do a few diferent size top and bottoms and it works ok they will still go together but once you start mixing brands and sizes it can get harder. :D

You seem to feel a whole lot better about this exercise if you have to go bitumen surfing sometime. :D saves a lot of skin.
If I rode my bike at the speed of light, what would happen when I switched on its headlights?

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby I-K » Wed May 04, 2005 6:32 pm

Well, the two runs of the zipper need to have the exact same number of teeth in order for it to work, no?

And, further, the length of the zipper is going to be dependent on the waist measurement of the suit.

Short answer, no, there isn't much chance that mixing and matching jackets and pants of different sizes is going to leave them able to zip together adequately, and if they don't do that, they don't do what they're supposed to too well.

I'm the ACT agent for Underdog Leathers, and when someone approaches me to buy a custom-fitted jacket first, to be followed by the pants some time later, I first try to dissuade them from the idea, then, if they insist, we supply a complete zipper with the jacket, the bottom half of it to be retro-fitted to the pants they eventually buy by a local leatherworker... which isn't cheap, btw, hence the attempt to dissuade delaying the purchase of one half of a two-piece suit over another.
I-K
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Suzuki

Re: re: Leathers question

Postby Ment » Wed May 04, 2005 7:15 pm

Cath wrote:Cougars bigger than your ronster? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ment
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Neka79 » Wed May 04, 2005 7:24 pm

yea mine was the same brand, but 2 diff styles..one with short zip, one with full legnth...i had to get the altered-cost me $100 for new zippers & all the work, but im glad i did it...
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900

Postby bonester » Wed May 04, 2005 7:28 pm

Like what Beryl was saying- I have a DriRider leather jacket, as well as an AGV one- they both have the same zips- partially around the back. My Stagg brand leather duds have the same zip as the other two, but in the wrong direction, so neither jacket will zip up to them.... :( Have looked at getting the pants altered, but told no- go, and not worth doing as the Stagg leathers are better than the other two brands !?! :shock:
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Barrabob » Wed May 04, 2005 8:11 pm

I-K i think you will find that agv use the same zipper size in a lot of diferent jacket/pant sizes they put the bottom halves on elastic to take out the slack. i also have a custom mcoy jacket that i have sucsessfully attached to the agv pants but i have considered buying a agv jacket as well for summer a unlined one to go with my agv bottoms.

I dont know about the mixing of brands but if the zippers match go for it some of the other stuff is way overpriced but the quality is good and i have seen the underdog stuff and its good too for the price.
If I rode my bike at the speed of light, what would happen when I switched on its headlights?

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Colette » Wed May 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Thanks for the advice all - am actually thinking of alpine stars pants to go with my jacket. Anyone had experience with these? The jacket has the zip across the inside back liner.
Colette
Team Cougar

Postby Plaz » Wed May 04, 2005 9:21 pm

MMMMMMM....2 cougars wrapped in leather please :twisted:

Sorry Colette....it had to be said
Plaz
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000

Re: re: Leathers question

Postby JamesLaugesen » Wed May 04, 2005 9:44 pm

Glen wrote:Don't really know the answer to this one but if you need to get a set of Leathers altered there used to be a lady in Lidcombe called Dushi who was sensationally good at alterations. She used to do warranty work for some of the bike shops who sold imported leathers etc.

If you want I'll try and dig the number up

HI Glen, would be great if you could find a number for me...
I scored my 1 peice racing leathers VERY cheap a while back and wouldn't mind making them 2 peice, if at all possible. For the stupidly cheap price I payed for them it'd have to be some damn damn intensive alterations to make it unfeasible, haha.

Cheers
James
ZXR"900" - In pieces... again.
Another engine gone but at least the purple and pink are still there, oh yeah.
JamesLaugesen
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Next

Return to Riding Gear Discussion