sizing on race suits

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

sizing on race suits

Postby oldrdrider » Mon May 23, 2011 8:22 am

Hey Guys,

I have been looking at finally getting myself some good riding gear and im a bit confused about suits. If i size myself up in jacket and pants im a 44 and 38 but the suit sizes are just one size so the top will fit but the bottom wont. Does anyone have any advice about this as its a big purchase.

Also if anyone has feedback on joe rocket suits 1 pc or 2 pc that would be great as im going to the states and they are really cheap with the strong dollar.

Thanks in advance
"Helmet on, visor down . . . brain off!"
oldrdrider

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: sizing on race suits

Postby StuMiller » Mon May 23, 2011 9:20 am

I was in a very similar position to yourself. I had a 34 waist and a mismatching jacket size.

If you buy them separately, you will struggle to zip them together given the different sizes in waist measurements.

I bought a JR Speedmaster 1 piece to suit my shoulder and groin to shoulder measurement, not my waist. Needless to say, I have more room at my waist, but it doesn't feel to restrictive.

Just my two cents...
Last edited by StuMiller on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
2007 ZX6 - Road bike
StuMiller
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Tasmania

Postby Blurr » Mon May 23, 2011 11:07 am

if your looking for a 2 peice then just buy each peice seperately.

I did this with my Berik suit. Zips together fine. You may not get the same price deals as you would a matching set though.

As for JR I havent heard anything great. Wattie's held up great at turn one EC but they are toast now so compared to main other suits that survive multiple crashes it may not have been worth the cost saving.

Nelso's JR suit was not so great in his road riding crash. Stitching burst open everywhere on impact.
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Nosferatu » Mon May 23, 2011 11:25 am

If you're loaded, try these guys and get a custom suit, at least it will fit properly in ALL the right places :kuda:

http://www.tigerangel.com.au

They aren't cheap though, so if you're looking to save dollars, look elsewhere :lol:
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
Nosferatu
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Postby zxsixr03 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Get a custom made Gimoto from Oz motorcycles leathers...
Built by craftsman, Designed by a genius, Ridden by a twat....
zxsixr03
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby dilligaf » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:59 pm

I've got a joe rocket one piece in a 44 and it fits a 38 waist :oops: even with a back protector.
I think US suits are designed for the fuller figure
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900
State: Victoria

Postby Jonno » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:23 am

zxsixr03 wrote:Get a custom made Gimoto from Oz motorcycles leathers...

I have a custom Gimoto and it fitted spot on when it arrived within 3-4 weeks of order, the local bike shop printed of the sizing/measuring instructions from the GiMoto site, didnt do much for my figure tho, my ass still is big :roll:
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby Strika » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:34 am

Blurr wrote:if your looking for a 2 peice then just buy each peice seperately.

I did this with my Berik suit. Zips together fine. You may not get the same price deals as you would a matching set though.

As for JR I havent heard anything great. Wattie's held up great at turn one EC but they are toast now so compared to main other suits that survive multiple crashes it may not have been worth the cost saving.

Nelso's JR suit was not so great in his road riding crash. Stitching burst open everywhere on impact.

Look, it's more how you crash than anything else. I have seen $3500 custom made triple layered leather, triple stitched suits with good quality leather burst apart everywwhere in a slow speed crash. I have also seen cheaper suits, hang together fine after huge high speed get offs too!!

I have a JR Speedmaster suit from 2005/6. It has been crashed in at the track a couple oftimes without issue. No burst stitching, no worn through leather. Just scuffs and abrasions as you would expect. I have also crashed in an expensive Dianese Suit too. Slow speed high side at MG. The thing fell apart! The seems burst and the leather holed over the hard outer armour.

So please, disregard most feedback on suits as the way you crash often has more to do with it than the construction of the suit.

But, some things to be mindfull of.......You want the stitching to be "TRIPLE STITCHED". You want good quality 1.5mm+ leather or Kangaroo hide. (Roo is lighter and stronger) The rest comes back to price.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Return to Riding Gear Discussion