OS helmets

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Re: OS helmets

Postby Blurr » Mon May 09, 2011 9:38 pm

So no issues passing scrutineering last year in the AFX?

Just order Shark RSR2 so i hope it wont be an issue
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby zxsixr03 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Nope both AGVs passed no drama's....Veitchy and Marshy are all in the same boat.

You'll be right gees for the $ difference it will almost pay for a set of rubber...lol

Sharks are very nice lids was waiting for STG to get the Race Pro model in...
Built by craftsman, Designed by a genius, Ridden by a twat....
zxsixr03
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R

Postby the kid » Tue May 10, 2011 7:10 am

Was discussing the OS v Local buying with a local dealership owner , and he was suggesting that the wholesalers are dragging prices back a bit right now to try and support retailers .
Helmets will be a different issue due to the testing costs for Aus Standards , but Alpine Star tech 7 boots had been dropped by 300 odd dollars :shock:
Costs of other bits and pieces for the upcoming dirt biking expedition are getting better .

Another interesting point in our discussion was that a dealership/motorcycle shop has closed for each week of this year . That makes it difficult for the punter in a small country town to try on gear so they can buy it on line :lol:

The wholesalers have a lot to answer for me thinks .
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby zxsixr03 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Same with any middle man in any industry i suppose...
zxsixr03
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Lone Wolf » Mon May 16, 2011 10:22 am

zxsixr03 wrote:All my lids road or track are bought from OS, the price difference even when the dollar was not so good still made sense.

Have you ever had them questioned by Police on the road?
"Women are temperamental... half temper, half mental."

http://www.corporateboxgym.com.au
Lone Wolf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX7R
State: Queensland

Postby aardvark » Mon May 16, 2011 11:08 am

zxsixr03 wrote:All my lids road or track are bought from OS, the price difference even when the dollar was not so good still made sense....

It won't make good sense if you crash on the road and end up with brain damage. That's when insurance companies the Motor Accident Commission, etc will look for any reason not to cover medical costs, or pay appropriate payouts.

Touch wood you dont have to find out that the hard way.
aardvark

State: South Australia

Postby zxsixr03 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:40 pm

aardvark wrote:
zxsixr03 wrote:All my lids road or track are bought from OS, the price difference even when the dollar was not so good still made sense....

It won't make good sense if you crash on the road and end up with brain damage. That's when insurance companies the Motor Accident Commission, etc will look for any reason not to cover medical costs, or pay appropriate payouts.

How can they prove my lid was any less in quality to the exact same helmet sold overseas, not talking about no name lids... My Mrs works for income protection insurance with Aust biggest insurance company, its not even a optional question when policy is being paid.
if its safe enough to race with and pass their scrutinering what grounds do they have to call it unsafe on the road.

Lone Wolf wrote:
zxsixr03 wrote:All my lids road or track are bought from OS, the price difference even when the dollar was not so good still made sense.

Have you ever had them questioned by Police on the road?

No most police would not even know what they are looking for.
zxsixr03
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby aardvark » Mon May 16, 2011 2:55 pm

zxsixr03 wrote:How can they prove my lid was any less in quality to the exact same helmet sold overseas, not talking about no name lids...

They won't need to. It will be a question of whether or not you were wearing a helmet that complied with the law, and the law requires you wear one that carries the appropriate standards certification mark.

If you have a helmet that complies with the current requirements of the Australian Standard, and it carries the appropriate mark inside and out, you'll be fine.
aardvark

State: South Australia

Postby MickLC » Mon May 16, 2011 3:03 pm

They don't have to prove it's not as good, all they have prove is that you weren't wearing an approved helmet, which as far as I understand it legally means you were riding without a helmet at all. Therefore they could deny the payout.

Also zxsixr03, do you know about the different helmet standards between the US and Europe? In particular how that affects the way manufacturers design and manufacture the helmets for the different markets? Sure the helmets we get may be the same as the ones the US guys get from some manufacturers, but they aren't all the same across the world because the standards are so different.
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Postby Jonno » Mon May 16, 2011 3:07 pm

MickLC wrote:They don't have to prove it's not as good, all they have prove is that you weren't wearing an approved helmet, which as far as I understand it legally means you were riding without a helmet at all. Therefore they could deny the payout.

Also zxsixr03, do you know about the different helmet standards between the US and Europe? In particular how that affects the way manufacturers design and manufacture the helmets for the different markets? Sure the helmets we get may be the same as the ones the US guys get from some manufacturers, but they aren't all the same across the world because the standards are so different.

iamwithstupid.gif

Thats my take on it.
Different testing techniques too from what I understand.
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby smithy5 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:17 pm

zxsixr03 wrote:Aust biggest insurance company, its not even a optional question when policy is being paid.

That's usual for insurance companies..... They are happy to take your premium without asking questions, but if you need to claim, they will then check what you told them, and more importantly, what you didn't tell them....
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby zxsixr03 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:45 pm

I would guarantee the like of AGV, Shoei etc for there top of line helmets make them all to the same standards, Europe/USA maybe be different we are too small a market to make anything specific for... Fark at work (Toshiba) we can't get our DVD players with Aust power cords we are a drop in the ocean to the rest of the world, we get Euro spec power cords which have to be changed over in house.
zxsixr03
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Jonno » Mon May 16, 2011 3:54 pm

zxsixr03 wrote:I would guarantee .

The problem about this statement and the rest of your post is it appears to be based on your assumptions, you need to provide proof to back it up 8)

But we have been down this road before havnt we ;)

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=16834&hilit=helmet+standards&start=15

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29165&p=447131&hilit=helmet+standards#p447131
Last edited by Jonno on Mon May 16, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby smithy5 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:56 pm

zxsixr03 wrote:I would guarantee the like of AGV, Shoei etc for there top of line helmets make them all to the same standards, Europe/USA maybe be different we are too small a market to make anything specific for...

I reckon your right there....... Would be as good if not better helmets for the OS markets.....
We just need to get some AS stickers printed on the "Black Market" ;) :lol:
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby zxsixr03 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Jonno wrote:
zxsixr03 wrote:I would guarantee .

The problem about this statement you need to provide proof to back it up 8)

Its the same in any industry when product is required for Aust, we are such a small market in comparison.

Out of the 100,000's helmets made buy Shoei, would they make a whole different run to manufacture one specific for us, which would only be minor BS differences?

What difference is there between SNELL/ DOT and our AS standard physically on the helmet beside a sticker.
zxsixr03
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Riding Gear Discussion