Shark Race-R PRO Helmet - Vision-R review

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Shark Race-R PRO Helmet - Vision-R review

Postby robracer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:05 am

With all this talk about Shark helmets I thought I might have a look at what all the fuss is about........
Anyone got a Shark Race-R PRO & can offer some feedback? I sold the hopper AGV a while back (only used a few times but the fit was not right & I cant keep using the old shoei forever so I am back in the market for a good helmet, the Shark pro is meant to have a higher field of vision..... this is a must as I tend to wear helmet's low in the front meaning I end up having the top of the opening blocking my line of sight (was not a problem on the Zeddy just the sports bikes) another problem is the hump on the AStars road jacket hits the back of the current helmet & was the same for the AGV...... I cant win... I must have a short neck :x
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: Shark Race-R PRO Helmet

Postby Wattie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:15 am

the back of my Shoei gets caught in the neck of my leathers everylap coming into turn 1 at EC.

i think its the little rubber thing on the back of the helmet that gets caught under the leather. its a pain in the ass. actually, i pain in the neck. :lol:

i wouldnt buy a shark... 80% of the FX SBK field is wearing them. :lol:
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby mick_dundee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:50 am

Rob, perhaps time to string yourself up and lengthen the neck? :) On a more related note, perhaps best to try helmets on whilst wearing said jacket and on the bike, nfi about how good Shark lids are but not heard a bad word about them, except they're the same price as a Shoei nowadays it seems.
A good mate will bail you out of jail, a true mate will be sitting in the cell next to you saying "Damn, we fucked up!!!"
mick_dundee
Team Naked
Team Naked

Bike: Suzuki
State: Victoria

Postby robracer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:08 am

Wattie wrote:i wouldnt buy a shark... 80% of the FX SBK field is wearing them. :lol:

Not a bad point there Wattie there might be something to them then.

mick_dundee wrote: On a more related note, perhaps best to try helmets on whilst wearing said jacket and on the bike.

Yep aways do wear the gear when shopping, well the one shop that I go to that would let me test ride don't stock them..... so its only half a try at best with other shops :?
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby robracer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:49 am

The Shark Vision-R seems to answer the first problem I encounter but are the price indicates its at the other end of the quality scale :?
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby EDU » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:43 am

The Race R Pro will def be my next helmet. I have the RSR2 and love it!!! I just need them to come up with some decent graphics as the ones there are out now just don't do it for me... But if you're after a better field of vision, the Vision R is a better option for you as someone else has mentioned here.
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Jonno » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:30 am

One issue with Shark helmets, or the one I got was the visor didn't completely shut so it is worth checking, we tried everything they suggested and was eventually replaced under warranty. Other than that it fits well, lightweight and easy visor changes.

The replacement was fine, and warranty process wasn't a big deal overall.
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:53 am

For pretty much the same money you get yourself a Shoei XR1100 mate. When I replaced my XR1000 I triead a heap of helmets on, then put the XR1100 on and there was no comparison (for my head anyway).
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Strika » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:02 am

I wish more people had Arai shaped bonces so they too could enjoy the comfort and quality which I have for over 20 years. I know they are a bit exxie, and sometimes this has made me choose a cheaper option, AGV, Shoei, OGK, BMW. Each time, with the exception of the BMW, I have ended up dissapointed.

If only Schubert (who made the BMW lids) were to bring in their lids, then I would have a tough decision.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby smithy5 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:09 pm

robracer wrote:The Shark Vision-R seems to answer the first problem I encounter but are the price indicates its at the other end of the quality scale :?

I've had a good look at helmets over the past couple of weeks, I've always gone for the Shoei for as long as I can remember, except for my current lid, a Shark RSF2 Race, I picked up about 5 years ago. Great helmet and had no problems with it, but it's time for new lids for me and the misses......

The Vision-R will most likely be my next helmet, but i'll wait a bit longer to see what other colours arrive. I couldn't fault it close up in the shop (not ridden with it on). A definate larger vision especially at the at the top. They quoted a 25% increase in vision vertically and 10% horizontally :o A fold away internal tinted visor alleviates the need to change visors, removable pads to fit the arms of your glasses in (if you wear them) a quick release to break the seal on the visor to clear internal fogging and an optional blue tooth attachment for Phone, Ipod, GPS and bike to bike communication, if that's your go ;)
Actions Parramatta have them for $450 and $350 for the bluetooth attachment, but only a few colours at the moment.
HE4230EKSK-1.jpg
HE4230EKSK-1.jpg (105.6 KiB) Viewed 11014 times

I ended up getting the misses the TZ-X Goddess Shoei for $699 with clear and tinted visors.
A bit pricey, but a quality lid, and as is always said, you get what you pay for.
3290_image.jpg
3290_image.jpg (41.55 KiB) Viewed 11014 times
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby robracer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Mate 25% vert is selling me, thanks smithy 8)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby smithy5 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:01 pm

2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby robracer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Im having a look tomorroz 8)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby HYPE » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:09 pm

i suffered the same issues with Shoei and some AGV models in regards to 'hump clearance' and FOV

i'd definitely suggest you check out the OGKs as well (bikebiz special atm $399)

i bought the FF5 and at first i was a bit freaked out by the peripheral vision it offers.. comfy and doesn't hit the leathers (hump/shldr)
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning

Postby robracer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:06 pm

HYPE wrote:i suffered the same issues with Shoei and some AGV models in regards to 'hump clearance' and FOV

i'd definitely suggest you check out the OGKs as well (bikebiz special atm $399)

i bought the FF5 and at first i was a bit freaked out by the peripheral vision it offers.. comfy and doesn't hit the leathers (hump/shldr)

Thanks Wade, I'm going to BB as they have a pretty big range, so I will be spending a fair bit of time there :P

mmm OGK never tried them on before.
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Next

Return to Riding Gear Discussion