Shark Race-R PRO Helmet - Vision-R review

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Re: Shark Race-R PRO Helmet

Postby robracer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:20 pm

I thought that was a photochop................ :lol: its REAL :shock: its all yours mate :supz:
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby wullieb1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Hmm good reports for the Shark helmets by all accounts.

Might need to look at getting one for my noggin now seeing as my AGV is starting to get a little loose.
wullieb1
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Queensland

Postby Reedy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:43 pm

HYPE wrote:
Reedy wrote:I have 2 rsr helmets and they are the best helmets i've had so far. Less than $250 bucks with the exchange rate now:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=SHARK+Helmets%3ARSR2

just to note... if you intend on using any OS purchased or privately imported helmets for Racing... they will be rejected at Scrutineering as they will not display an AS sticker.

Hey Wade,

Both of mine were passed at Wakefield st george rnd last time. They did pull me up with an issue but consulted the rule book where it did state that DOT & ECE 22-05 were accepted.

I'm not sure about FX though...probably a good idea to check!
Reedy
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Honda

Re: Shark Race-R PRO Helmet - Vision-R review

Postby robracer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:33 am

So with over 1000Ks done last weekend the verdict is in on the Vision- R Helmet
With its Increased vertical field of view of 25% and 10% horizontally all I can say is WOW! it lives up to its name, I have a new lease on life with finding the perfect helmet for my bonce & with the main problem of blocked upper vision solved I got to concentrate on the fantastic options offered with this helmet. The sun shield, though I thought was gimmicky at first came into its own with riding in the varying conditions especially in the twisties when it is generally darker, it was great being able to flick up the tinted visor to increase the vision or to more accurately read the road surface... what a bloody brilliant concept! its definitely a winner. The autoseal keeps the rain out & wind out & the fact that this helmet did not fog up once is a testament to its design ....... this is the first helmet in 26 years that has not fogged up on me, even without the small breath guard there was no need to use the integrated anti fog opener.
So I had the chance to test out the aerodynamics at different speeds & following large vehicles & I have to admit this is a really stable helmet, where I would normally get allot of wind buffeting with the shoei the Shark was a big contrast with little or no buffeting which inturn meant for a more comfortable trip & no sore neck at the end of a long day.
The only downfall for this helmet is it is quite noisy.... its more of a wind sound but its not the vents as I had trailed having them open & closed with the same noise level present,
I wear ear plugs so the noise is not really an issue & because its a different sound that I am not used to it could be that the actual sound level is the same ...... its hard to tell.

I give the French helmet 5 kudas for value & quality :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda:
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Glen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:56 am

robracer wrote:So I had the chance to test out the aerodynamics at different speeds & following large vehicles

Yeah OK I know the Rex is a...er larger bike but do you have to point it out...... :) :)

Good review Rob and yeah from what I saw of the new lid it looks really good. With the Tinted visor thingy though we now need to refer to Rob as "Maverick" or "Iceman". Very Top Gun but a bloody smart concept.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby dutchy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Gotto love that extra vision!! :kuda: It seems to be a common theme, must be a concept that runs across the whole range of sharks. What was the final $$$ involved, if you dont mind me asking?
I plan on living forever..............so far so good!!
Self appointed official poon-tang image supplier to KSRC
2010 KSRC MotoGP tipping champion

1998 ZX7R
1982 GPZ 550
dutchy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX7R
State: Victoria

Postby robracer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:28 pm

$420 for the black :D
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Phantom » Sun May 01, 2011 8:33 am

I have an RSR2. It has the blue "Indy" colour sheme. A very very light helmet. The British Government some time ago initiated an extremely comprehensive motorcycle helmet testing scheme. They fit accelerometers to helmets and impact them at different velocities and different angles. G forces are accurately quantified. No helmet got a better rating than the RSR and no Arai helmets tested reduced impact as well as the RSR2. If you want to see how your helmet "stacks" up, here's a link: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

The best things I feel about my Shark RSR is:
1. Level of protection,
2. The best visor bar none.... The visor is sensational.
3. Very very light.

The worst things I feel about my Shark RSR is:
1. More aerodynamic drag than my old AGV X vent and my KBC VR1-X (Very comfortable is my KBC)
2. Not very glasses friendly. It is a bit difficult getting my prescription glasses on and after 45 minutes or
so the arms start to press into the side of my head.

Add $50 for shipping. :arrowd:
Reedy wrote:I have 2 rsr helmets and they are the best helmets i've had so far. Less than $250 bucks with the exchange rate now:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=SHARK+Helmets%3ARSR2

really quiet. full carbon kevlar matt :D
Gen 1 ZX10 puts the saki in Kawasaki
Phantom
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX10R

Postby dutchy » Tue May 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Hey Rob,

How do you go with the vent buttons while wearing gloves? I've read they're difficult to find let alone actually open/close on the move. Does it have the standard chin curtain? I might be looking at replacing my wrecked RSF3 with of of these.

1998 ZX7R
1982 GPZ 550
dutchy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby robracer » Tue May 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Closed the top vents on the go but they are tiny so I had no idea if they they were closed or not...... it made no difference anyway.
no chin curtain but the opening is smaller than my other helmets so I found there was less air movement :D
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby ducati_paul » Tue May 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Funny, I just noticed this thread and I looked at the Shark Helmets today at Sydney City 8) they have Shark Helmets on Sale at the moment!
http://shop.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.a ... shark.html
2012 Royal Enfield Military for the Road
ducati_paul
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R

Postby dutchy » Tue May 03, 2011 8:26 pm

ducati_paul wrote:Funny, I just noticed this thread and I looked at the Shark Helmets today at Sydney City 8) they have Shark Helmets on Sale at the moment!
http://shop.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.a ... shark.html

Nice cheap RSF3's running out. I guess if I got one of these that would mean I would have spare visors and cheek padding :kuda:

1998 ZX7R
1982 GPZ 550
dutchy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Previous

Return to Riding Gear Discussion