2 piece suit question...

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

2 piece suit question...

Postby Disgrote » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi guys,

I know the 2 piece suit thing has been done to death, but I ran a search and couldn't find the answer to this specific question...

Is a dedicated 2 piece suit more effective than a leather jacket that can be zipped to a set of separate pants? For example, I'm looking at a Dainese jacket which can be zipped to a set of Dainese pants. However, I'm getting the impression that this option is more directed at people who ride on the road as opposed to the track - the pants don't look as sturdy and I'm wondering whether the zip will hold up as well as a dedicated 2 piece suit (the ever-present risk of the zip of any 2 piece not withstanding).

Hopefully I've made sense...

Any thoughts?
Disgrote

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: 2 piece suit question...

Postby Strika » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:03 pm

The dedicated two piece zip together, will normally use the same type of zip mechanisms as a separate jacket & pants.

However, if it is a track only suit you want, then a one piece is the way to go.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Disgrote » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:14 pm

I don't want to get a track only suit (yet) as I'd be wearing it on the road, too - all I have at the moment is a Dririder jacket and Draggin jeans, so upgrading to a 2 piece I think will offer the right tradeoff of protection and convenience for regular road use. I've just booked my first two days at EC so I'm far from a track day regular!

My question was more regarding whether the zip mechanism for a separate jacket & pants is as sturdy and reliable as a dedicated 2 piece - I take your reply as meaning you think it would be?
Disgrote

Postby Wattie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:21 pm

go to a shop that sells the Dainese you are interested in.

I was under the understanding they zipp together the same as buying ready made 2 piece suits.

But if it only zips together say across the back, then i would buy a 2 piece suit.
If it only zips across the back, then it can lift up around your hip area and across the front. your body can do some weird shapes and contortions when your skidding on your ass. :?
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby smithy5 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Disgrote wrote:I don't want to get a track only suit (yet) as I'd be wearing it on the road, too - all I have at the moment is a Dririder jacket and Draggin jeans, so upgrading to a 2 piece I think will offer the right tradeoff of protection and convenience for regular road use. I've just booked my first two days at EC so I'm far from a track day regular!

My question was more regarding whether the zip mechanism for a separate jacket & pants is as sturdy and reliable as a dedicated 2 piece - I take your reply as meaning you think it would be?

I think what you are asking is a two piece suit any different from a jacket and pants that zip together......... I reckon no difference, as they are both made of leather and zippers, but you may get a better fit buying separately...... Also for track days they must zip together all the way around and not just at the back.
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby Disgrote » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Smithy, that's exactly what I was trying to ask - it seems there's a disconnect in my brain between the ability to think and the ability to form a coherent question!

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm gonna go try some gear on ASAP. Want to have it all good to go before my first track day in May :lol:
Disgrote

Postby swabio-ACT » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:04 pm

also, if you buy the separates that zip together, normally the jacket is a little longer, designed for use without the pants...
swabio-ACT
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Return to Riding Gear Discussion