Head first into a Shark

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Head first into a Shark

Postby dutchy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:40 am

Brought home a new Shark RSF3 (smoke) today from one of the local shops :D

shark_rsf3_smoke_kws_angle.jpg
shark_rsf3_smoke_kws_angle.jpg (98.87 KiB) Viewed 9025 times

I was trying on the FEW different brands of helmets that were available in the local shops last december and found this one. Out of the selection of helmets available in W'Bool this one turned out to be the one that ticked most of the right boxes.

I got a medium size and although it takes that little bit more effort to initially put on (getting past the padding around the neck), once it's there it's really snug. Haven't tested it riding yet but I already know it's a way better fit than the old Nitro N1000v. When I went to the bathroom mirror to check it out how good I looked wearing nothing but my new helmet I commented to myself how awesome I was and it nearly blew my ears out. :lol:

My theory is that if it keeps the noise inside the helmet, hopefully it keeps the noise outside as well. Must be all the neck padding that seals the gap but then having all the nice new padding was always going to make it feel better than the old lid.

The steps in the visor movement are really defined so it doesn't feel like its going to eventually get sloppy or loose anytime in the future, again like the nitro did. The visor release mechanism is like pushing in a big button. Theres no little levers and tricky little nooks and crannies to thread the visors onto. It just seems simple and not gadgety. A know a few brands seem to be made with little springs and notchy bits of plastic that seem like your going to break them right out of the box. This is the opposite.

Another differance between the old lid and the new lid is that the way the nitro sat on my head there seemed to be a peak in the centre of the visor opening that dipped down into my field of vision. The Shark does not have that problem at all. You still see it a little at the top but it doesn't get in the way.

Just like most people I had set a budget. I was looking for something no more than the $400 and this one came in at $380. Researching onling this seemed a bit costly considering it is now a model of helmet that I think was part of Sharks 2010 or possibley even 2009 catalogue but I also got the obligatory free tinted visor and like I said before, there isn't exactly a huge range to choose from down here and I'm not comfy with buying helmets online just quite yet.

There might be some information in this dribble somewhere that might appeal to someone. If not, there are enough odds and ends for the jokers to pick up or adjust to turn into a crude comment ;)

If you still have read all this and are not satisfied and believe I have wasted your time...........your fault, not mine. :twisted:
I plan on living forever..............so far so good!!
Self appointed official poon-tang image supplier to KSRC
2010 KSRC MotoGP tipping champion

1998 ZX7R
1982 GPZ 550
dutchy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX7R
State: Victoria

Re: Head first into a Shark

Postby seiko1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:43 am

Cool lookin but I'm confused :?
I didn't know they made helmets big enough for a coppa's head :shock: :lol:
Policy - Find something simple.....and Complicate it!
seiko1
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX14R

Postby dutchy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:44 am

seiko1 wrote:Cool lookin but I'm confused :?

Now how did I know you'd be the first ............MF!! :lol:

1998 ZX7R
1982 GPZ 550
dutchy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby robracer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:44 am

Looking forward to the helmet test ride report :D
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby seiko1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:46 am

dutchy wrote:
seiko1 wrote:Cool lookin but I'm confused :?

Now how did I know you'd be the first ............MF!! :lol:

What?........What?........ :lol:
Seeya at the Party tomorrow night mate ;)
Policy - Find something simple.....and Complicate it!
seiko1

Bike: ZX14R

Postby dutchy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:49 am

robracer wrote:Looking forward to the helmet test ride report :D

First ride into work tonight. Details posted tomorrow. Seiko, you know damn well i'm working :(

1998 ZX7R
1982 GPZ 550
dutchy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Strika » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:54 pm

I can't believe you wasted my time with all that crap!.............jokes mate, nice looking lid. Just watch it on yr first ride with it.....you know the old saying........new boots, leathers, helmet whatever, guarantees a crash......... ;) ;)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby zx899r » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:57 pm

nice one
got one the same thanks to davegpz
bike wharehouse has 50% off sharks at the mo :P
GO GREEN!
zx899r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: South Australia

Postby dutchy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:44 am

Spent the week riding to work and back with the newbie lid. There isn't any where near as wind coming up through the front as the old one. Between the chin curtain and the massive cheek pads the wind is kept at bay. The cheek pads are really pushing in. At the moment they are actually pushing so hard into the side of my face that if I open my mouth and was to close it too quickly i'b bite the inside of my cheeks. I'm assuming they'll soften up a little over time but I actually don't mind everything nice and snug at the moment.

It was definately more quiet than i'm used to as well but when i did a run with the tinted visor on it would squeal like a bitch. Has anyone else had this problem? The normal visor is fine. dontknow.gif It seems as though the visor position might be adjustable but i'm worried i might frig it up for when the normal visor is on.

The mechanisim for the vents was always going to be questionable. They are nothing more than little dials and when your wearing your gloves it is actually difficult to tell wether or not you have moved the damn things, and its not like there is a massive rush of air coming through the vents to let you know they're open.

Happy with the nice solid visor movement. It locks down into the closed position really well.

All in all pretty happy, comfy and cosy in the newbie. :D If i think of anything else or something goes horribly wrong with it i'll let you all know.

1998 ZX7R
1982 GPZ 550
dutchy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Possum » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:17 am

Hmm I wonder if this...
dutchy wrote:When I went to the bathroom mirror to check it out how good I looked wearing nothing but my new helmet I commented to myself how awesome I was and it nearly blew my ears out. :lol:

has anything to do with the extra snug fit? Image

While im a Shoei person myself, for no other reason than best fit, Smokey there is a sweet looking helmet, Sharks have come along way.

zx899r wrote:got one the same thanks to davegpz

Your visor is at Steve's place.. Oh and I forgot the wine FFS.. i'll be back soon :P
It all comes down to how you ride it.....
Possum
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z1000
State: Western Australia

Postby Jonno » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:40 am

I like sharks
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby Strika » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:21 am

Strika wrote:I can't believe you wasted my time with all that crap!.............jokes mate, nice looking lid. Just watch it on yr first ride with it.....you know the old saying........new boots, leathers, helmet whatever, guarantees a crash......... ;) ;)

Corey....I can't believe you didn't listen to me!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Man kangaroos suck!!!!! :cry:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby balanse » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:53 am

dutchy wrote:Spent the week riding to work and back with the newbie lid. There isn't any where near as wind coming up through the front as the old one. Between the chin curtain and the massive cheek pads the wind is kept at bay. The cheek pads are really pushing in. At the moment they are actually pushing so hard into the side of my face that if I open my mouth and was to close it too quickly i'b bite the inside of my cheeks. I'm assuming they'll soften up a little over time but I actually don't mind everything nice and snug at the moment.

It was definately more quiet than i'm used to as well but when i did a run with the tinted visor on it would squeal like a bitch. Has anyone else had this problem? The normal visor is fine. dontknow.gif It seems as though the visor position might be adjustable but i'm worried i might frig it up for when the normal visor is on.

The mechanisim for the vents was always going to be questionable. They are nothing more than little dials and when your wearing your gloves it is actually difficult to tell wether or not you have moved the damn things, and its not like there is a massive rush of air coming through the vents to let you know they're open.

Happy with the nice solid visor movement. It locks down into the closed position really well.

All in all pretty happy, comfy and cosy in the newbie. :D If i think of anything else or something goes horribly wrong with it i'll let you all know.

Had one of these (plain not smoke) for well a year now and all of your comments are the way I have found mine to be too. The snugness doesn't seem to go away though, I am still nursing ulcers on the inside of my cheeks from regular accidental biting - bloody painful when you do it good!

I am really happy though ... the best thing is the visor mechanism (really really easy and quick to change visor) and the quietness - the worse thing is that it's really hot in summer because of it's snug fit and low ventilation.

Would go Shark again for the next lid.
Just one more law and everyone will be safe.
balanse
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Re: Head first into a Shark *Now crash tested*

Postby dutchy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:20 am

Strika wrote:
Strika wrote:I can't believe you wasted my time with all that crap!.............jokes mate, nice looking lid. Just watch it on yr first ride with it.....you know the old saying........new boots, leathers, helmet whatever, guarantees a crash......... ;) ;)

Corey....I can't believe you didn't listen to me!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Man kangaroos suck!!!!! :cry:

Agreed. Glad I had the newbie though. I hate to think of my head rattling around the old one. :D

IMGP0655 (Medium).JPG
IMGP0655 (Medium).JPG (49.3 KiB) Viewed 8880 times

IMGP0656 (Medium).JPG
IMGP0656 (Medium).JPG (66.31 KiB) Viewed 8880 times

See the lengths I go to to test helmets for you people! :lol:

First photo is the initial side impact. You can see it's just been belted. Second photo is the second impact leading into the backwards roll down the road where I have gotten the oppertunity to grind it into the road. I got asked about my helmet at the hospital while I was getting looked over today. All I could say was that I was really happy I had a brand new soft cushy helmet on. I'll be getting another one(besides, now I've got two perfectly good Shark visors that need using :lol: )

1998 ZX7R
1982 GPZ 550
dutchy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby ZXR750 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:37 am

Just take it back to where you purchased it and say you are not happy with the strap or something and you would like your money back. :lol:

Seriously I am sorry to hear you paid good money for something that only lasted a few rides though.
Remember, half the people you know are below average.
Bike 93 ZXR750
05 ZRX1200
05 DRZ400
ZXR750
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750
State: New South Wales

Next

Return to Riding Gear Discussion