tank bags/tail bags What to buy???

Riding gear and Clothing Discussion

Re: tank bags/tail bags What to buy???

Postby SoundGuy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:26 pm

Gosling1 wrote:I think that is the same one that Mick C has on the titanium Crim ?? Its a great little bag, holds all the camera gear no worries, he has used one of these for a while....

8)

What do they go for?
SoundGuy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:28 pm

no idea, Mick has been using one since he got the Crim I think - if you shoot him a pm I am sure he could give you a price and an informed opinion of one of these tail-bags........they seem to be a very good unit.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby MickLC » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:14 am

I got mine with some insurance money for about $100 when they first came out...don't know what they are going for now but they are definitely a handy little bag. I can fit it on the back of the old Z as well if I need to 8)
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000

Postby Wattie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:52 pm

i bough mine for $50, it was in the specials bin at a bike shop. it wasnt in a plastic bag. the base bit and dectructions were stuffed inside it. 8)
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby starlet » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:41 am

I own an Oxford tank bag - the smallest one you can get. I love it, I use it everyday and it fits a fair bit in it, I take some lunch and work clothes in it etc - it's easy to get on and off as well. :)
starlet

Bike: ZX2R

Postby Rossi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:33 pm

Check ALDI specials when they have there m/c gear on sale ;)
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Rossi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby penno » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:04 pm

Early Xmas present from dad is a magnetic tank bag from aldi. three speperate zip together bags, can fit heaps and comes with waterproof cover. the zip together bags can also be detached and used as a backpack, a laptop case, a general carry bag and also has a zip off bum bag. quality seems to be pretty good also.
penno
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZZR600
State: Queensland

Postby sarakoth » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:16 pm

This thread is a bit old but thought I would add my 2c worth for anyone digging thru looking for info.

I currently have the Oxford Sports tail bag.

Adv:

Looks
Expandable and will take a helmet. Also "expands", not "adds to" like others. So you dont have to preplan how much stuff you might want to take home with you or if stop at the shops on the way home.
Looks
Converts to backpak (but see below for caveat)
Looks
For the ER6 it sits on the seat so no scratching of paint to worry about.

Disadv:
Size. Smaller than A4 so I have many things dont fit like plastic folders, bills, letters, etc. (Height is OK and expandable)
Zips. The zips absolutely suck on this and rarely work first time.. large chunky things that unless the bag is on super tight then the slack causes the zip to catch. (Did not have this problem with previous tank bag I had)
Upside down Ms Jane. For some reason the backpak straps make this as a backpak with the opening facing down! This means if you dont zip up completely (and do the velcro bit up as well) you throw it over your shoulder and listen as your stuff gets spread across the pavement!
Price.

Unsure:Raincover is a separate piece meaning I have just lost mine somewhere but the plus is you can take it off the bag to hang it up and dry it (which is probably how I lost it! :? )

My previous bag (on a ZZR250) was a motordry tank bag that I think some others have mentioned. I found that great.. good size, easy to get on and off (zip works!!!) and had a rain cover physically attached (so dumbass like me can't lose it I imagine!)
I just felt it was a) a bit big and wrong shape for the ER6 tank and b) wanted something a bit more snazzy for my new bike.

In the end I went for style over substance and as you can probably all guess, that was a mistake.
sarakoth
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZXR400
State: Western Australia

Postby carmenle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks for sharing good info with us... I am looking for this... :kuda:
carmenle

Bike: GPz750

Previous