Custom Exhaust Fab

Bodywork Modification Discussion.

Custom Exhaust Fab

Postby ZedOne » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi Everyone.

I have decided to have a crack at making myself a one off, unique set of rears for my bike. All of the slip on's etc are not to my liking, isn't many of them for my bike and I like to be different.

I am going to be keeping with the 4 pipes out the back, as I like that look. I am unsure of the shape or finish at this time.

Has anyone had experience in having a go at this, and anything I should know before hand. I'd like to go in with eyes wide open, to try and eliminate mistakes and hours of work.

Thanks in advance.
Kawasaki. Let The Good Times Roll
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Z1000
State: South Australia

Re: Custom Exhaust Fab

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Can you weld ?

Do you own a pipe bender ?

Do you have pipe-expansion equipment ?

These will all be required to knock up your own rear mufflers. I have knocked up complete 4-1 exhausts including mufflers - its a shitload of work. What sort of material are you using - steel or alloy ? They both have unique requirements.

Good luck - its not impossible and if you have all the required skills & tools, materials etc - well it can be done :kuda:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby ZedOne » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Gosling1 wrote:Can you weld ?

Do you own a pipe bender ?

Do you have pipe-expansion equipment ?

These will all be required to knock up your own rear mufflers. I have knocked up complete 4-1 exhausts including mufflers - its a shitload of work. What sort of material are you using - steel or alloy ? They both have unique requirements.

Good luck - its not impossible and if you have all the required skills & tools, materials etc - well it can be done :kuda:

Yep. Got access to all equipment and tools required.

I have done a bit of stuff for my car build and have 20+ years experience as a beater/painter.

Unsure of material yet, as I am still working on a design that's in my head. Once that gets finished I will decide.

I won't be doing headers, I will use the stock ones or look out for a second set to use if I need to. But shouldn't have to touch the originals.

Just going to do something unique that isn't like all the off the shelf slipons, also as most don't offer the 4 pipe look out the back, which I want to keep.

:kuda:
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:01 pm

OK cool, well with some experience like that you should be able to knock up something trick :)

In mufflers I have made in the past - absorption mufflers seem to be the easiest to construct and also get a reasonable level of noise control. These are the mufflers with the perforated tube and muffler packing. With a 4-pipe design - you could always go for something really different (a lot easier when you are using the stock headers ).......maybe like 4 seperate alloy stingers, big-bodied jobbies with a decent sized outlet hole. You could make it look like a big 2-stroke from behind :kuda: :kuda:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby ZedOne » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:28 pm

Gosling1 wrote:OK cool, well with some experience like that you should be able to knock up something trick :)

In mufflers I have made in the past - absorption mufflers seem to be the easiest to construct and also get a reasonable level of noise control. These are the mufflers with the perforated tube and muffler packing. With a 4-pipe design - you could always go for something really different (a lot easier when you are using the stock headers ).......maybe like 4 seperate alloy stingers, big-bodied jobbies with a decent sized outlet hole. You could make it look like a big 2-stroke from behind :kuda: :kuda:

Thanks. Yep, was aiming for the perforated tube and packing. Have a bag in the shed. I knew I kept it all these years for a reason! Either that or I will buy 4 standard baffles and chop them to suit. Don't want it smashing loud to attract attention, but not too quiet either.

I am definitely going for something different, and I am fairly confident I have the design I was aiming for. But I will keep the cards close to my chest at this stage. It will be sleek, but aggressive looking.

Cheers for the advice. If you think of anything else, please share! :kuda:
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:59 pm

no probs :D - good luck, I am looking forward to seeing how these pan out

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby ZedOne » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:51 pm

Gosling1 wrote:no probs :D - good luck, I am looking forward to seeing how these pan out

8)

Cheers. Well, I have got a start. I have finalised the design, after a lot of thinking, walking around the bike, sitting back, few beers later. Pen to paper, then to photoshop.

Happy Days.

I have decided as materials will be expensive....Once the bending and tacking is done, I am handing them over to a fabricator to do the final and pretty welds. will be much better than me, and well, I want it all spot on and mint. So, I will suck it up and get some help.

Then they will be off to be ceramic coated and chromed. Small hint. :D

I am going to guestimate, between work, and other projects, I expect about 4 weeks if all goes well. I am excited. :kuda:
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Stevojumps » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:41 pm

Looking forward to see the finished product Zed.
Stevojumps
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:49 pm

sounds interesting for sure :twisted:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Kwakked Up » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Good luck with this one Zed :kuda:
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby ZedOne » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:18 pm

Kwakked Up wrote:Good luck with this one Zed :kuda:

Thanks!

Well....I am working out that patience is key here. :shock:

Slowly but surely....But getting there.

I don't want to update with any pictures until the end...so, you will all have to stay in suspense. 8)

If only my bloody day job didn't take up so much time. ETA I would guess another few weeks at least, the way time and progress is going. Once I have it all together, it will be off to get the dress welds done, and then to get some kind of coating and a polish. :kuda:
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Return to Bodywork & Bling Mods