Corroded polished wheels?

Bodywork Modification Discussion.

Corroded polished wheels?

Postby JimZXR » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:18 pm

I've started rebuilding a ZXR750 (http://www.ksrc-au.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 46&t=43560) I bought recently from a KSRC member and unfortunately the wheels and swinging arm have significant surface corruption as they're polished and seem to have sat for quite a while.

What is the best product and process for refurbishing polished parts on bikes?

I'd like to keep it as is rather than having to strip the wheels, swinger and frame to get them powder coated or painted.

Cheers
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750
State: New South Wales

Re: Corroded polished wheels?

Postby kawadave » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Depending on how bad they are,and I'm guessing your talking alloy here?
I suggest Californian custom purple polish. http://www.calcustom.com.au/california- ... tal-polish
Or Autosol polish.http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... 1846#Cross

If they've gone a bit far...perhaps a rub down with 800 wet and dry paper then the polish.

Its hard work,but the more you put in the better the result... :kuda:
Don't knock my turbo lag - it gives your naturally aspirated a chance..

2013 Motogp tipping champ.

83 GPZ 750 Turbo
78 Z1R 1000
80 Z1R Mk11
07 ZRX 1200r
83 GSX1000sd Katana

https://www.youtube.com/user/htmonaro
kawadave
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby z900/zx9 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Autosol with steel wool,steel wool sounds harsh but with autosol it wont scratch,then polish of wit ha clean rag.I have been polishing engine casings on my old z9 for years like that and it will bring it to a mirror shine.
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby ZX9R Man » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:54 am

I personally don't like the polished wheel look. No offence to those who have them either.
They are high maintenance and don't look as good as a full gloss paint. I have to admit that the factory paint isn't as good as having them done at your local powder coaters.
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:21 am

Many things I have tried over the years to clean up corrosion. This stuff, applied with the green side of a kitchen sponge and some WD40 - has been the most successful at removing 95% of corrosion. The last 5% - if it is deep - will need 800 wet'n'dry with WD40 to remove.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby ZX9R Man » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:30 pm

Good old Gumption, been around for a hundred years..
Still don't like polishing wheels.
Sorry Goz :D
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R

Postby Daisy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:50 pm

I like polishing

wheels. :lol:
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Postby laidback » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Gosling1 wrote:Many things I have tried over the years to clean up corrosion. This stuff, applied with the green side of a kitchen sponge and some WD40 - has been the most successful at removing 95% of corrosion. The last 5% - if it is deep - will need 800 wet'n'dry with WD40 to remove.

8)

+1
This stuff is the ducks guts when it's gone past an easy clean-up.
Roady - ZRX1200R
Tracky - ZX9R F1 Team Jerry Atric

I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.
laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby ZedOne » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:42 am

I just done some fork leg bottoms and front wheel for a mate on his *cough* Harley.

My Process was this.

3M 1000 Grit Pad
1500 wet & dry rub.
2000 wet & dry rub.
Autosol.
Californian Customs Purple Polish to finish.

They are like new, and better than factory. The key here is to work out what result you want and that will determine your process. If you just want it cleaned up, then 1500 wet & dry rub and then autosol will do the trick. Use lots of CLEAN water.

If after a full on finish, then take the time and effort and do the above. I like to do the 1000, 1500 down to 2000 as it removes any fine blemishes. In other cases, I have even gone down to 3000 grit on a machine to get that bit further result. If it isn't too bad , I wouldn't go as harsh as 800 grit personally as it is a lot of rubbing to bring it back up to finish, especially without a machine.

Also, to make light work of it, especially with wheels as they can be a pain in the arse, I use one of these kits from Bunnings.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/josco-7-piec ... t_p6320425

But throw away the compound, it is shit. 8)

To give you an idea of results, I've attached an before an after picture. If you have any more questions, fire away. :kuda:

Kawasaki. Let The Good Times Roll
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Z1000

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:00 pm

ZX9R Man wrote:....Good old Gumption, been around for a hundred years.....Still don't like polishing wheels.....Sorry Goz :D.....

:lol: :lol: yeh I hate it too ;)

Daisy wrote:..........I like polishing...........

you had me at polishing :kuda:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby JimZXR » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:07 am

All of this is good info for me as I'm re-polishing my wheels and possibly my frame soon.

What's the best way to get the paint off the wheels; sand it off or are there any chemicals.
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750

Postby Phil » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:37 pm

JimZXR wrote:All of this is good info for me as I'm re-polishing my wheels and possibly my frame soon.

What's the best way to get the paint off the wheels; sand it off or are there any chemicals.

Paint stripper ;)
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby ZedOne » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 pm

JimZXR wrote:All of this is good info for me as I'm re-polishing my wheels and possibly my frame soon.

The BEST WAY and imo the cost effective way for a great finish ready for repaint or powder coating is get them soda blasted. Isn't as coarse as normal sand blasting and leaves a good finish just about ready for top coat again. Last time I done wheels, it was about $25 a wheel to be soda blasted and around $50-60 a wheel for powder coating.

If you are inclined to strip them yourself and paint...remember this. Paint stripper is usually some type of caustic soda, which reacts with alloys....aluminium etc...and will give off a hydrogen type of gas, which mixed with air...turns explosive...so no naked flames while doing it. 8)

Paint stripper is pretty messy, so make sure to put something over your floor, and once applied...wrap the wheels, frame etc in cling wrap. It not only helps for penetration, but also mess. Most of the melted paint and goo comes off with the cling wrap. Wear thick rubber gloves and safety glasses, ALWAYS with that stuff.

It also helps with stripper to key the surface up as well, to open up the old paint for the stripper to get in, saves having to heaps of coats, usually a quick rub with 240 grit is enough.

Personally though, as said above, the quick, mess free and less prep, messing around for top coating again, is soda blasting and a powder coat.

Call a couple places and ask for quotes, you will be surprised at how cost effective and cheap it is to have it done for a great result.

Edit: Just re read that you are going to polish them again. I'll leave the rest of he info there anyway, in case someone finds it useful. BUT...soda blasting the wheels, will still be the best way as it isn't a coarse sand blast and can still be polished afterwards. Confirm that when you call and ask for prices. :D
Kawasaki. Let The Good Times Roll
ZedOne
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Z1000

Return to Bodywork & Bling Mods