Mirror finish. IS it possible on this?

Bodywork Modification Discussion.

Re: Mirror finish. IS it possible on this? Ninjainoz/Cally

Postby tim » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:41 pm

Dremel polishing bit with some metal polish would be my guess, but looks like a pain in the ass to polish with all those grooves etc, and surely there's something more useful for your ride you could spend your time doing? How about post some pics up of where you're up to and what you're heading for with the project ;)
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: Mirror finish. IS it possible on this?

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:46 pm

there is nothing wrong in spending a bit of time cleaning up parts like this, while you are waiting for stuff to arrive......its a good way to waste time waiting.....

but the end result will just be cleaner parts. You can only get mirror-reflection from polishing if the parts are totally without any pitting or any changes to the surface area. A good example is something like a drum brake backing plate. These are generally pretty flat and can be prepared for polishing to a mirror-finish without too much problem.

Things like cam covers :shock: especially those 250 jobbies - mate you would literally have to put hundreds of hours into these to get them smooth enough to polish properly. Basically a WOFTAM.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Jonno » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Sorry for the hijack..

I would be interested if anyone knows about the brushed frame finish and how to get it or at least revitalise?

Also interested in bead blasting or soda blasting for that raw alloy look on a barrel.

Cheers
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby NINJAINOZ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:58 pm

You are keen Zigg33 I will give you that, I would just go & buy some course scotchbrite (The red stuff) from an Auto paint supply shop or supercheap etc, Rub the rocker cover with it (Its basically like flexible sandpaper to get into bits like on the rocker cover) paint the rocker cover in satin black Hi-Temp paint, Save all the hassle & it will look pretty damn good, Spend your time polishing other bits

Like Gosling mentioned about the surface being smooth with no pits etc, If the surface is fairly flat & even you can get away with running a polishing wheel over it, I still like to cut it back with 240 though no matter what I am polishing, Seems to get rid of any crap on the aluminium too

Not really worth cleaning the carbs too much except for the insides maybe

The trick is to choose the right parts to polish & not too many parts maybe until you have perfected it
NINJAINOZ
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750

Postby h.b.bear » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Jonno wrote:Sorry for the hijack..

I would be interested if anyone knows about the brushed frame finish and how to get it or at least revitalise?

Also interested in bead blasting or soda blasting for that raw alloy look on a barrel.

Cheers

Soda blasting should revitalise the brushed effect without damage but i have also heard that it can be done with a certain type of grit {sand} paper but not 100% sure what type (practise on scrap),i have soda blasted heads and carbs on my old 250 and have come up a treat but the latest rage seems to be hydro blasting.
Here is the unit like i bought fron the states,not perfect but does the job,i also have a sand blasting cabinet which i want to try putting soda into and see how that works.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GUDCRAFT ... 2c643c73c7
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX

Postby NINJAINOZ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:54 pm

WHOA! that is some nasty gouges in that rocker cover & some not as bad ones in the bracket, As mentioned I would just (Save a lot of time & effort) paint most bits & polish whatever you can that is nice to start with

This is one of the other reasons I dont like using polishing wheels on a grinder or a drill, One little slip, Put a nice gouge in it & the piece is stuffed
+ I see a lot of people that use a wheel to polish end up distorting the original shape of the part, The flats have ripples & the edges become distorted & more rounded in someplaces, Basically making it look shit, For example, With the bracket shown above I would actually use a flat rubber sanding block on the face & flat edges & get the surface as FLAT & smooth as possible, Exactly like you said it is about 95% preparation, You spend most of the time smoothing & flattening the surface going down the grades before you actually get it shiny
Thats the way I see it but I am a fussy prick that hates seeing shit jobs like 5 min polishing that may be a bit shiny but the surface is all distorted & crap

"You cant polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

Here is some other polishing that I have done

NINJAINOZ
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750

Return to Bodywork & Bling Mods