2011 ZX10R Race bike build, from street to track.

Bodywork Modification Discussion.

2011 ZX10R Race bike build, from street to track.

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi All,

After joining in the beginning of the year I made only a brief run down of what I was doing with my 2011 ZX10R.

A quick recap;
TurboR1 wrote:Hi All,

Just signed on after getting back on a Kawasaki after a 10 year absence, spending time on R1's and an MV Agusta.

Into the racing scene in Perth and just picked up a new ZX10R for the 2011 season, now it's all a mad rush to get it track ready for the first race of the year! Hoping to get early heads up on parts and availability though the site. And also other racers on here as well.

Here's a pic still a lot to do, (like run the bugger in) race fairings are away being painted, this just has the road gear taped up for another track day on Sunday.

Righto, got lock-wiring to do so will check back later.

I thought I would start at the beginning with when I first got it and the following few posts are the 6 month journey of my ZX10R from January to the present day... Enjoy.
TurboR1

Bike: ZX10R
State: Western Australia

Re: 2011 ZX10R Race bike build, from street to track.

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:02 pm

After half of 2010 racing a 2003 Yamaha R1, the race bug had bitten and had bitten hard.

I wanted something new(er) to continue racing and after seeing the pictures and specifications of the upcoming ZX10R it gave me an economically viable alternative to BMW's S1000RR which I was also looking at. After seeing one in the flesh in road trim it looked (like most Kawasaki's) less than a supermodel, but after taking one for a spin through the suburbs I was sold...

So come January 2011 here I was with the ZX10R loaded up in the van ready to take home on Saturday morning... Didn't even bother registering it, though Maya got to ride it first... from the shop front to the van.

Get it home and take a photo before work begins.

Ugh those mirrors...

Ugh that exhaust...

New? Really new...

Into the garage and by Saturday night everything that isn't need on a race bike gets ripped off.

Gone are the mirrors, indicators, snow shovel fender.

Now with these things being so new one major problem occurred... No one has made any race kit parts yet.
TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Scouring the internet for hours (and hours) small bits and bobs are found... and the first thing, despite being probably the most boring thing is also one of the most important parts available, radiator guard. This is Jan 2011 mind you...

I gave my screen to Ralph to do the front number board, Tim from WTF Graphics provided the "Turbo"

With race fairings still to be ordered, all I can do is tape up the headlights and get some track time in effectively a stock bike... Adding some pin stripes to the tank side panels I'm building up the theme for this bike.

Airbox cover with some more graphics added...

The only other thing available at this early stage was generic parts such as cross drilled caliper bolts and other little fittings that allow them to be lock-wired in place.

TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:05 pm

Mid to late February and things start to pick up momentum;

The race fairings turn up form the UK, manufactured by the MSS Kawasaki BSB team, they are sent straight to PSB's Potato for a fresh coat of paint...

Best James Earl Jones voice "Luke... I am your father"

TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Superbiketoystore.com was able to supply an Akrapovic link pipe which gets rid off the valve in the exhaust, the catalytic converter and about 40kg,

Also a new tank cap;

After another Probolt order I get all the Dzus fasteners and hardware I manage to get the fairings fitted up

While waiting for more parts to arrive I'm left with little else to do other than add a fer more graphics;

Tail;
TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Ralph at Causeway Kawasaki come though with a tidy haul of gear just before the HCMC night meet.

Vortex sprockets to change the gearing, GoodRidge braided lines, shark guard from ZAP, Genuine Kawasaki engine case protectors.

To work and the engine case covers are a doddle to bolt on and are done in a matter of minutes, drop the coolant out and replace with water, (to a Ducati owner this sight would be normal on any other day)

Since it's a night racing meet on goes a red light at the back;

Also added is a set of "Jet Intake" graphics further adding to the theme of the bike.

The HCMC night meet comes along and another little lull until my next order comes in the mail.

I didn't change out the brake lines at this point as the all the ABS plumbing (what feels like a kilometer of tubing) looks like I might bite off more than I can chew so close to a race meet.

Shorty after though it's all ripped off with the braided lines in place. bye bye ABS thank god!
Last edited by TurboR1 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Nothing much happens as a overseas work trip cuts into preparation time as I lose all of April and all that gets put on is some more graphics;

Revised tail;

Nose;

Front guard;

Tail again;

Side graphic;

Zoom out belly pan graphics on;

And the other side still running the stock muffler at least I've got some slicks on it;

Parked up next to my R1, An earlier pic before the belly pan graphics went on and before I put slicks on it.
TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Back from a long work trip more parts have arrived... things are getting quite full on.

Removing the ABS module gives you an error code, it will also not let the bike rev over 11000RPM, with the servo motor removed. But after having removed the exhaust servo I had an error message anyway. Leaving the ABS servo motor plugged cured the 11000RPM problem though.

But first yet another change to the tail;

Wanting to reduce crash damage costs I decided to get some Woodcraft Clip ons (a $16 replacement bar vs a $300 OEM item in the case of a tumble) these are really a must; Superbiketoystore again.

I wanted more power from my brakes, the standard Kawasaki set up was always going to be a weak point... what else other than a Brembo master cylinder??? complete with fold up lever option.

A clutch perch with a fold up lever was also on the shopping list, and for no other reason than to bling it to the extreme I went for this uber trick CRG item;

Both items fitted and ready to roll,
The Brembo gives amazing initial bite, kind of like someone sticking a metal rod in the spokes of the front wheel, just the way i like it;

The Clutch perch is just as functional as it is sexy to look at, it lets you adjust the clutch cable tension on the fly courtesy of a little ratchet tab that pulls in 1/4 turn with each flick of your thumb;
TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:15 pm

At the same time as the arrival of the hand controls Ralph came through with this;

This unassuming bunch of wires and black box is now the brain and nervous system of my race bike, Kawasaki factory racing ECU and Kawasaki factory racing harness.

This gets rid of all the ABS rubbish, no longer is there any ABS electronics or mechanics on this bike. What it does give you is fully programmable control over all 3 engine maps right trough out the rev range, 30 selectable traction settings, programmable engine braking maps for off throttle engine braking. Insane.

It also has a pit lane speed limiter switched on and off via the indicator switch. Also adjustable to any speed you choose. (40kph for barbs)

All the previous error codes caused are cleared and I can spend my time getting lost in the software.

What is doesn't give you though is electrics to run the fan (since factory race bikes don't have them due to their deep core radiators) I cobbled together a small toggle switch;
Awesome dash is awesome.
Last edited by TurboR1 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Next up, Rearsets... again these took a very long time to come on the market. But Ralph came through with the goods again;

Super grippy pegs, almost too grippy as they took some getting used to.
Lightech make a quality item.

Before and after LHS;

RHS;

TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:17 pm

The really sad thing was at this point I was still running a stock muffler.

Having borrowed one for the State road racing championships I had to get one for myself. However with the recent purchases I was more concerned having enough cash left for food and had to pause and save up again the credit card hemorrhaging to a point where I was certain that I would lose my house, my wife and some hair.

Once in the clear again (well a slightly paler shade of red), I sent away for this little beauty, Arrow works slip on and link pipe;

And on the bike;

Another angle, also with a cheapy exhaust bracket which gets rid of the foot peg mount, this is between State round 1 and 2. Slightly revised belly pan graphics.
Last edited by TurboR1 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:20 pm

[QUOTE=TurboR1;2313081]I put it on the scales at Barbagallo and right now it's about 170Kg, probably as light as it's going to get. Short of going to some exotic materials... Magnesium wheels, carbon body work... which I won't... thankfully they are prohibited at Superbike level which suits me just fine.

Despite options being quite limited for parts, they are starting to appear quite rapidly now with more and more stockists. Taking advantage of our strong dollar especially in the USA, but it's also quite decent for items that you pay Euro for are becoming within reach.

Other things that I did on this bike which I am unsure of the time line on was to get the stock steering damper re-valved so that when you wind it on it actually makes a difference. I acquired some heavy duty foam for the seat and managed to get a nice finish with the Dremel.

It was also at this point where we did a photoshoot in South Perth with the bike making an appearance;
TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:25 pm

With Round 2 of the state round done and dusted and with bits of rubber smeared to the under side I decided that it could do with a little freshen up.

Before the numbers were a little hap hazard, product stickers for non existent sponsors and that white panel at different angles on each side;

And after, a diminishing stripe pattern... on it's own the belly pan looks rather plain, and veiwing it on it's own I thought I had made a mistake;

A few little red highlights, again on it's own looks a tad too subtle;

But on the bike it looks quite different... more on that later.
TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:26 pm

Something caught my eyes, bling of course, but also a functional item.

Something that one normally sees only on World Superbikes and MotoGP machines, something I did not think was possible to buy, I had toyed with the idea of making some of my own as I could source some parts, And I had even begun buying components. Then I found some in Europe... My poor credit card.

Two weeks later these babies turned up;

An afternoon after work spent in the electronics lab soldering up the stock wiring connectors and upgrading some cable protection;

All wired up and installed, replacement SBK/GP switch gear, traction control, engine maps, pit lane speed limiter and fan switch on the left control.

Right hand side, power and starter and lap timer.
TurboR1

Postby TurboR1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:29 pm

6 months down the track, from competing on road rubber in a night meeting for HCMC, a club round for MCRCWA and after 2 rounds of State champs with a pair of 3rd place trophies and a new PB of Barbagallo it looks like this, with revised belly pan, mated to the rest of the bike it makes sense. Tail graphic once again revised to carry through the theme of the belly;

Not much more to go now.
TurboR1

Next

Return to Bodywork & Bling Mods