Fairing repairs

Bodywork Modification Discussion.

Fairing repairs

Postby Daisy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:29 am

When I bought this bike the seller did tell me that the fairing had "some big cracks in it". Trouble is, the cracks were connected to each other. :shock:
ImageImageImage
I have managed to get it to this stage;
ImageImage
Will this be strong enough or do I need to reinforce the inside? If so, what with?
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Postby Johnnie5 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:08 pm

some of those panels are prob just about ready for the bin and some will prob do ok

i would prob keep an eye on ebay and see what you can find

other options would be prob worth you looking at buying a plastic welder and having a crack at it since you have a fair bit of work there so would be cost effective and good for practice for future bikes

for small stuff i have had some success with http://www.plastex.com.au which is good for small ones and missing bits but for the amount that you have the money would prob be better spent on a welder , check ebay

bugger reread your post and pics

looks like just a nose piece , depending on how good your work is , it should be ok nice welding btw :)

what is important is when you put the bike back together that all the panels fit properly and all the brackets are in the right spot , if you have to force things to get the bolts to line up this puts pressure on the plastics and this is the reason that fairings crack and will crack along the previous breaks
Johnnie5
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Daisy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:26 pm

Johnnie5 wrote:looks like just a nose piece , depending on how good your work is , it should be ok nice welding btw :)
Thank you. :D

what is important is when you put the bike back together that all the panels fit properly and all the brackets are in the right spot , if you have to force things to get the bolts to line up this puts pressure on the plastics and this is the reason that fairings crack and will crack along the previous breaks

I suppose its lucky that apart from 3 very minor cracks, all the damage is on that right hand upper section. I've done a test fit and it lines up well, so it must be time for the plastic bog - and some paint. :D
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Return to Bodywork & Bling Mods