SOLAR BATTERY TRICKLE CHARGERS

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

SOLAR BATTERY TRICKLE CHARGERS

Postby rooster » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:44 am

Has anyone any experience with solar powered battery trickle chargers, pros and cons, the good ones and the bad ones and where to get them.
If life is like a box of chocolates, why do I always get the laxettes?
User avatar
rooster
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:39 am
Location: FULLY FLEDGED SHIRE HOBBITT
Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Re: SOLAR BATTERY TRICKLE CHARGERS

Postby Smitty » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:42 pm

rooster wrote:Has anyone any experience with solar powered battery trickle chargers, pros and cons, the good ones and the bad ones and where to get them.


my race car sits outside most of the time between events (you only run maybe 8-10 weekends a year)
so
I got a 12v 3AMP solar screen array (aimed funnily enough for the camping/caravan guys) for it
the solar panel, approx 20x35cm sits on the dash and is clipped to the battery terminals.

does it work..?
I check every weekend (winter and summer)... the battery is 100% charged

and has done so for the past ... geeez how long? maybe 6-8 years, so no complaints from me
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
User avatar
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 10851
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:59 pm
Location: 3rd rock from the Sun
Bike: ZX12R
State: Victoria

Re: SOLAR BATTERY TRICKLE CHARGERS

Postby rooster » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:06 pm

Smitty wrote:
rooster wrote:Has anyone any experience with solar powered battery trickle chargers, pros and cons, the good ones and the bad ones and where to get them.


my race car sits outside most of the time between events (you only run maybe 8-10 weekends a year)
so
I got a 12v 3AMP solar screen array (aimed funnily enough for the camping/caravan guys) for it
the solar panel, approx 20x35cm sits on the dash and is clipped to the battery terminals.

does it work..?
I check every weekend (winter and summer)... the battery is 100% charged

and has done so for the past ... geeez how long? maybe 6-8 years, so no complaints from me

So you are charging straight from the panel ? and no issues ?
If life is like a box of chocolates, why do I always get the laxettes?
User avatar
rooster
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:39 am
Location: FULLY FLEDGED SHIRE HOBBITT
Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Re: SOLAR BATTERY TRICKLE CHARGERS

Postby Smitty » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:32 pm

rooster wrote:
Smitty wrote:
rooster wrote:Has anyone any experience with solar powered battery trickle chargers, pros and cons, the good ones and the bad ones and where to get them.


my race car sits outside most of the time between events (you only run maybe 8-10 weekends a year)
so
I got a 12v 3AMP solar screen array (aimed funnily enough for the camping/caravan guys) for it
the solar panel, approx 20x35cm sits on the dash and is clipped to the battery terminals.

does it work..?
I check every weekend (winter and summer)... the battery is 100% charged

and has done so for the past ... geeez how long? maybe 6-8 years, so no complaints from me


So you are charging straight from the panel ? and no issues ?

straight from the panel (it has a little circuit board on the back.. to control overcharging from memory)
I cut the lead when I bought it and fitted a quick disconnect connector. (as the leads are taped to the battery posts- race rules)

problems...? absolutely none. juts make sure you get the right size. You don't need a 5A solar panel for a bike... maybe 2A at most
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
User avatar
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 10851
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:59 pm
Location: 3rd rock from the Sun
Bike: ZX12R
State: Victoria


Return to General Tech & Performance Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron