Switch to full style
For general Technical and Performance Discussions
Post a reply

What about a couch?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:59 pm

Just having a thought about an upgrade to something that I can keep and run for the next 15 - 20 years.

I do love my ZZR1100, and after a 2 minute test ride on a ZZR1400 (ZX14R) there is much want... But thinking with some logic, I do a fair amount of 2up touring, and I refuse point-blank to put panniers/top box/etc on either of these bikes, so a "couch" bears considering?!

Negatives:
I don't have a lot of money for toys but could stretch a bit, given it's for the long term.
It's no ZX14R (but then again, it will still be waay faster than I am).
Not sure I'd want to service it myself?
Not the prettiest bike around.
Dang! Those mirrors sure hang waaay out there!

Plusses:
Shaft drive - cleeean!
Panniers when required
ABS, KACT, KTRXYZ ( <<< and all those other acronyms that I can use to convince the Missus that it is a good idea).
Modern tech, shaft drive etc - should be relatively low maintenence; no chain to adjust/replace; no carbs to balance/mess with? (Am I wrong here

Been looking over Daisy's and other GTR threads on here, but is there anything I should be looking out for? Any common problems? Anything else I should know?

Cheers

Re: What about a couch?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:14 pm

They have some problems, depending on the year, but nothing that can't be overcome. Have a look over at GTR-AUS for all the solutions.

I love my big rhinoceros. Never go back to a chain drive or carbies. I change the oil and filter + diff oil myself. It has 140k on it and the valve clearances have never been checked. I did have to replace the O ring on the cam sensor, which is a pain to get at, but unless it starts to show signs of valve tightness I'm in no hurry to get the lid off.

My friend Malcolm loves his too. ;)

https://kawasaki.com.au/general-kawasak ... -300000km/

Re: What about a couch?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 pm

A few of my Ulysses mates have them, and they reckon they're marvellous.
Some have put a different muffler on (runs and looks better), use aftermarket air filters, modified / changed the wind screen.
Post a reply