Creating a Kawasaki Kustom, and need help

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

Creating a Kawasaki Kustom, and need help

Postby BikerBuddy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:26 pm

I have a Kawasaki eliminator 250 rolling frame, and I am planning on putting a bigger lump into her. I have a few lumps in mind, such as a GPZ/EX5/ER5 or a ZX400. I am unsure of which engine to use as I want the bike to be the fastest and most reliable it can be, without modifying the frame too much as it would affect the strength of the frame. Fuel economy is of slight importance but not major, the main thing I'd like is the speed an acceleration of a sports bike with the comforts of a cruiser for when I use the bike for bike shows, bike rallies and for charity rides that I attend. What engine and modifications would you guys recommend? I've owned a GPZ500S and fell in love with everything about the engine so I'm inclined to drop that into her, but finding a ZX400R looks like it would fit the frame, so I've been considering that as it has a slightly higher top end and acceleration but fear that it would be too much work to strengthen the frame for the extra weight and power over the GPZ lump. Is there any advice anyone could give me on how to tackle my current endeavor? Many thanks for reading.
BikerBuddy

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Overseas

Re: Creating a Kawasaki Kustom, and need help

Postby BrettZZR » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:42 am

Ummm...

You might be lucky and find that one of those 500 twin motors might fit in with fairly extensive mods. I might be wrong here but I'm thinking the 400/4 would be out of the question without major work.

But hell, before you go to all that hassle, lets get a few things straight:
1. The only people that will think your 500 Eliminator goes "like a superbike" are your 250 Eliminator buddies.
2. A "Cruiser" is not comfortable - it's designed to LOOK comfortable to Seppo-bad-boy-wannabes. (Ponder why a Gold Wing/GS1200/GTR/FJ1200 {insert any established long-road tourer here} has the rider leaning forward?!)
3. If you want it to show well at a bike show you're going to have to do more than just slapping another mill in it, and if you're riding it, you'll spend so much time cleaning it that you will either pack in the shows, or pack in the riding it, which makes all your other requirements rather moot.

Reading between the lines, you want to do the work yourself, but you have no idea what is involved - this is not a good combination.

Pick up your latest copy of Bike Trader and buy the bike you really want.

My 2c...

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Postby tim » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:16 am

Agree, buy the bike you want, or restore the bike you want
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby Mitch » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:43 pm

oh come on guys. what a bunch of downers you are. The guy/girl has a dream which may seem impossible/improbable to us, but shouldn't we be supporting him/her to achieve this by offering what ever support/advice we can from this side of the planet? Personally half the fun of owning the bikes I have had is rebuilding and repairing them myself. :kuda:

back on topic. I have no idea what the best motor for a fast cruiser would be (i like my fast bikes to be sporty), but seeing as the rolling frame is for a parallel twin, I would be going with one similar lump. Would obviously need to check the mounting point dimensions and sprocket offset to make sure that it will sit in your frame. No point buying an engine if you have to 'redesign' the frame/swing arm to get the chain to your back wheel.
ZX9R F2 track bike aka Big Blue
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby Clarkixlc » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:14 pm

You want a fast cruiser. Buy a vmax. Then bling it out.
Clarkixlc
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk