ZX12 rear shock repair/swap?

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

ZX12 rear shock repair/swap?

Postby Shifty » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:00 pm

Hey guys

Rear shock on ZX12 (B1) is on the way out. Reco is cheap but I can't have the bike off the road so I need to buy a second shock to reco and then swap them over.

Can get one from the states for $17... but it's five times that for postage :roll: not to mention the total cost of $100 is basically money down the drain because I'm not getting anything for it.

I haven't found anything solid on swapping other shocks into the ZX12, lots of questions and "maybes" but anyone know of fitting a late model ZX10, ZX14, etc shock as a replacement or better base? If I'm buying a new shock to go over, I wouldn't mind starting with something that's not 10-15yo.
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Re: ZX12 rear shock repair/swap?

Postby Jonno » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:53 pm

I have one but it wont be that cheap
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:01 pm

Shifty wrote:..... not to mention the total cost of $100 is basically money down the drain because I'm not getting anything for it.....

not sure what you mean by this ? If you get a replacement shock from the US for $100 - that is cheap as buggery.....how much cheaper do you think you can get a shock for ?

2nd-hand shocks at our local wreckers regularly go for $300 or more, depending on condition.

Starting with a shock that is 10 years old shouldn't be a problem if it is getting a full recondition anyway - it will have all new internals so the age of the body is pretty much irrelevant.......

I don't know of any other shock from any late-model 10 or 14 which would be a bolt-in swap.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Shifty » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:32 pm

Sorry long time between logins.

I wasn't saying that $100 for a replacement shock is expensive (although as mentioned it hurts my brain to think that I'm paying $17 for the shock and nearly $90 to post it!), I was meaning that I've spent $100 and it's just money down the drain as it's another stock 10-15yo shock.

As you mention a shock from a local wrecker is $300 - I'd be happy to pay that for something that ended up being an upgrade! Effectively that $100 I'm not spending on another stock one is $100 off the price off whatever upgraded shock anyway. I am no engineering master but if I need to make up a basic sleeve/bush/washer then that's easy, I was just hoping someone had done a 10R, 14, etc shock before so I knew what to get. I can't see myself trying 10 different shocks until I find something that suits, like many people I am happy to follow a difficult path if it's well-trodden but don't want to make my own in most cases.

Currently leaning towards a Wilbers shock, not cheap but <$700 for a brand new & customised unit you can't go far wrong I don't think?
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby SteveW » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:48 am

If you really get stuck, you can BORROW my stock ZX12 shock, while yours is getting rebuilt. You just need to pay for postage and return to Perth........
ZX-12R B6F
SteveW
Warming up
Warming up

State: Western Australia

Postby Shifty » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:01 pm

Wow that's a great offer mate, thank you.

Prefer not to be responsible for other people's stuff though so I'll see how I go. Organised a new tyre for it so I'm $300 lighter so I'll see how I feel in a few weeks on whether I buy a stocker from the us or a new shock outright.
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk