batteries

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

batteries

Postby Possum » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:10 pm

Well its finally happened. The zed has been grounded due to its battery.
This is the second battery ever after 7yrs.

So...

Can I ask what is the general life of a bike battery is?
What brands are better than others?
It all comes down to how you ride it.....
Possum
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z1000
State: Western Australia

Re: batteries

Postby dickfaber » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:59 am

yeah, batteries these days!
just had to put a new one in the er6, its second one from new!

my er6 is a 2008 model!

although cars are harder on batteries than bikes, imho and experience, any battery over 12-18 months is to be treated as suspect unless it has proven to work.
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
dickfaber
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ER6
State: New South Wales

Postby Possum » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:33 am

Yeah Zeddy is 08 model too. Its only spent 12mths off the road when I had my stroke.
I think ill stick with the same brand. I think its the use it or loose it theory.

Love the er6. I had one from new for 6moths. It was an upgrade from th er5
The 6 was too cramped for me, so up again to the z1000.
My touring days on her are just about done. Wouldn't mind a tourer though.
Possum
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Glen » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:09 pm

The ZRX is now 7 Years old and it's on its second battery. The last one crapped it about 2 years ago.

Best lesson ever though is that once you think they're on the way out, bugger them off......sort of like old people :oops:
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Clarkixlc » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:52 pm

Being winter won't help either. Usually if they are close to giving up the cold will take it out of me faster.
Clarkixlc
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:55 pm

Poss - the battery in ProblemChild's zeddie only expired last year - it was the OEM battery from 2003 ! A good 11 years from that battery.

I have had batteries last up to 10 years - especially the old lead-acid wet cell batteries. The tricks are simple - keep the fluid levels maintained using distilled water/rain water only. Keep the battery trickle-charged over winter. Never let the battery discharge more than 30 or 40%. 10ml per cell of Inox battery conditioner also helps to keep the battery cells clean and free of sulphate build-up (which is what eventually kills all wet-cell batteries).

Bike batteries - especially later-model absorbed glass-mat (AGM) type - all sold as 'maintenance free' fail when the internal gel just dries up from overcharging or too many voltage discharges to low voltage levels. Let an AGM battery discharge to <10v too many times it will just shrivel up and die.

If you fitted a wet-cell Yuasa (made in Japan only - not the Taiwanese versions) - then you could conceivably get 10 years out of that battery. But you have to maintain it properly, that is the only way to get a good lifespan.

Lithium batteries are good but your charging system has to be 100% perfect working order. If the reg/rec is not working properly and the charging voltage exceeds 15V - a LiPo battery will go up in smoke - whereas a wet-cell lead acid battery will cope with this and just use a bit more fluid than normal. SSB make good LiPo batteries - they are exxy but they are light and last for years.

The biggest problems with battery maintenance - is that nobody gives a fuck about looking after their batteries ever. They sit out of sight and as long as the lights go on when you turn the key and the engine starts - who would bother taking care of the battery ?

Batteries need loving too :kuda: :lol:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Possum » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:58 pm

Thanks Gos, Ive always been taught the more you care the more enjoyable carefree life you'll have.
Zedy is riden hard and much loved but I have to admit id never considered battery maintenance as this one is a sealed unit.
Maybe that horrific moden age mind set of the disposable world is creeping in...

I like to learn more and do things myself. Its a good thing Zeds are tough enough to help me on that journey.

Looks like I need a new trickle charger as well. Cheers wise man xx

Oh .... and im not too concerned with the cold, zedy is tucked up safe, dry and secure virtually inside the house xx
Possum
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Clarkixlc » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:44 pm

Just quickly guys if I could get your opinions. How would you manage to look after a battery if you aren't able to run a charger to it ? It gets ridden between two and three times a week but Se times will sit for three or so days at a time. I wish I could get a charger where I am but I don't have a power point in my garage in my unit where I live.
Clarkixlc
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Possum » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:48 pm

Clarkixlc wrote:Just quickly guys if I could get your opinions. How would you manage to look after a battery if you aren't able to run a charger to it ? It gets ridden between two and three times a week but Se times will sit for three or so days at a time. I wish I could get a charger where I am but I don't have a power point in my garage in my unit where I live.

As an alternative just start her up and let her run for 10-15min every couple of days
Possum
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Possum » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:49 pm

Clarkixlc wrote:Just quickly guys if I could get your opinions. How would you manage to look after a battery if you aren't able to run a charger to it ? It gets ridden between two and three times a week but Se times will sit for three or so days at a time. I wish I could get a charger where I am but I don't have a power point in my garage in my unit where I live.

As an alternative just start her up and let her run for 10-15min every couple of days
Possum
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby dilligaf » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:37 pm

3 days shouldn't be a problem. I usually don't worry unless I'm leaving it for more than a few weeks. Although I'm a bit sus about the battery at the moment so it lives on the trickle charger.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900
State: Victoria

Postby SteveW » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:09 am

I use a Motobatt which are said to last a year without charge. Recently fired up one of my old Yamahas for the first time in 8 months and it ticked over without any problems, no charger had been anywhere near the Motobatt in this time!
ZX-12R B6F
SteveW
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX12R

Postby MrFaulty » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:09 am

I got an AGM battery after three of the wet cell batteries and I reckon they are worlds apart - for some reason all the wet call batteries have lost charge when parked for three or more days (the tests all said I don't have a voltage leak), but the AGM battery can sit for 2 weeks (max I have sat it there) no issues at all - and I must admit the AGM is an ebay special
MrFaulty
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R

Postby pkay » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:27 pm

Mate if you can't get to it I'd be going dry cell so it doesn't require maintenance to operate like a wet cell where after a while you'll need to top up the fluid level in the battery. When you install it run a set of leads from the battery to an auxiliary charge plug that way if you're near a power point you can just plug it in. I have this set up on all the bikes where the battery isn't under the seat and not easily accessible. Battery life expectations? I've chewed through a dry cell in about 3 months and a wet cell in a month where I have been hard or the bike is one of those that draws a current when stationary. Others have lasted 3-4 years and still going. The weather will effect the life (they hate cold). Also if your battery is starting to weaken and then you hit it hard you'll kill it. And once you kill them (particularly wet cells) it's a diminishing return as they weaken a lot quicker after subsequent charging. Often the recharging process can clean plates and give them a new lease of life if you're lucky.
I reckon your battery life history is pretty good. ;)
PK
"Too many bikes is never enough"
ZXR750H1,GPX750R,GPz600R,750,900R,1000RX,KR250,Z1a,Mach3,Z1300 and..
pkay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Queensland

Postby Possum » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:20 am

Very interesting. Looking this weekend
Possum
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Next

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk