zx12r radiator fan

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

zx12r radiator fan

Postby mick12 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:20 pm

went to town today and the 12 started running hot in traffic got to the lights and temp gauge went right up and started flashing at me and the fan didnt kick in havnt had a look yet because i had to get the other bike back into street kit so i can go to work will look into it when i am finished has anyone ever replaced a fan on their A1 12 are after market ones available Kawasaki quoted $ 1034 for a new one and none in aus seems a bit steep and no switches in aus either
If it aint broke don't fix it just gain more horsepower
mick12
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Re: zx12r radiator fan

Postby billwest » Wed May 20, 2015 6:03 pm

It looks similar to the ZRX1200 fan. For that bike, a Suzuki fan is available. KWIK (ZRX US site) has these. Check with him?

Also: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/k ... -1133.html
Don't ride as if you own the road.......
Ride as if you own the bike!

ZZR1200 ('02), FJR1300 ('19).
billwest
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1200
State: Western Australia

Postby J.B » Thu May 21, 2015 7:38 am

It's easy enough to check if it's the fan motor. Just pull the plug from the back of the fan temp switch and use a wire to short between the 2 terminals. With the key on you should hear the fan start up.

I've just had a similar thing happen on my zx6rr, temp gauge in stop-start traffic shoots right up but the fan didn't kick in. Problem is I'd just replaced most of the cooling system and initially everything tested out fine. Funny enough the bike didn't feel particularly hot while I was on it. I'm suspecting either a faulty temp sender to the gauge or the thermostat. Will get back to you once I've solved it.
"The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
J.B
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX

Postby Smitty » Thu May 21, 2015 8:54 am

mick12 wrote:went to town today and the 12 started running hot in traffic got to the lights and temp gauge went right up and started flashing at me and the fan didnt kick in havnt had a look yet because i had to get the other bike back into street kit so i can go to work will look into it when i am finished has anyone ever replaced a fan on their A1 12 are after market ones available Kawasaki quoted $ 1034 for a new one and none in aus seems a bit steep and no switches in aus either

try testing/replacing the switch first.... they are the usual cause
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

State: Victoria

Postby mick12 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:26 am

finaly got time to check the fan tonight yeehaa it works so next trick check the switch and for piece of mind add a manual switch
If it aint broke don't fix it just gain more horsepower
mick12
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk