06 ZX10R Charging System.....

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

06 ZX10R Charging System.....

Postby swabio-ACT » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:20 am

Well.... going for a ride the other day...... pulled up at the start point..... waited.... everyone rolled up..... I went to start the bike..... noooothing.... thought that was weird......... push started it..... and did the ride..... stopped along the ride..... no power again............ push start........ finished the ride.... (total from start point to end point about 55km + commute of about 20 to get there....) again... bike not starting.. and dash went blank...........

Push started......... rode a few km... then booom nothing........ no power no riding.....stuck on the side of the road about 50km from home.............. lucky enough one of the guys on the ride nipped home and grabbed the ute..... and got me home.....

anyways............ thought it could have been a dropped cell on the battery...... droppedit off to the battery factory..... nope.... all good!

Bought a new multimeter..... and then started testing the bike IAW the service manual.....

Stator resistance is within tolerance of .1 - .2 ohms...... however..... no voltage coming out when it is running............ i got 10v max......... so looks like the rotor is cactus......

Now.... obviously this seems to be a tad different to Photomike's issues of burning stator's...... (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29009)

The question is.... do I replace the whole bloody lot... ie Stator, Reg/Rectifier and rotor.... or just give the rotor a crack................ as that is what the service manual indicates........
swabio-ACT
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Re: 06 ZX10R Charging System.....

Postby swabio-ACT » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:44 pm

Well I decided to go the Fuckit_replaceitall option....... and have ordered the bits from the states........... so hopefully during the week they will arrive! ended up getting the Reg/rec and stator from http://www.regulatorrectifier.com and the rotor from http://www.powersportswarehouse.com ..... so hope they arrive pretty quick......

In my research oz (http://www.downsouthmotorcycles.com.au/ ... iche/45006) prices were:
2100321003-005401 STATOR $358.00
2100721007-005901 ROTOR $511.10
2106621066-000801 REGULATOR-VOLTAGE $396.85

needless to say the US prices were way down on that.....looks like i will get some imposed de-lardifying done this week on the pushy........a lazy 28-30km ride each way to work!
swabio-ACT
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby oldmanmike » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Been there, done that.....join the club.
06/07 are the same..and have a reputation for frying stators and bad earths on reg/rec's

2 threads that may interest you..
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43924
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=29348
oldmanmike
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Postby MadKaw » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:00 am

I think Blurrs Gumby did the same...
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

State: New South Wales

Postby swabio-ACT » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:48 pm

MadKaw wrote:I think Blurrs Gumby did the same...

well it has mad my ass feel like I have had involuntary anal sex..... as unlike Robracer... I have been off the pushy for too long.... and the commute to and from work today put me in the locker about 6km from home ;)
swabio-ACT
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Blurr » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Yep did 2 in 12 months.

Stator rewinds in Central coast is a much better option and much cheaper. Cost about $250 and you get a much stronger unit back.
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Postby robracer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Yes Russ is right, the rewinds generally come back better than original :D
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby swabio-ACT » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:24 pm

robracer wrote:Yes Russ is right, the rewinds generally come back better than original :D

That will be the next one if it happens again! ;)

Blurr wrote:Yep did 2 in 12 months.

Stator rewinds in Central coast is a much better option and much cheaper. Cost about $250 and you get a much stronger unit back.

I ended up getting one from www.regulatorrectifier.com as well as the rectifier..... just waiting on the rotor now (http://www.powersportswarehouse.com) .............. then will be back into getting it sorted........... unfortunately the rotor was on backorder from Japan.... also none available in oz.... so figured the massive saving by buying it in the states was worth the extra couple of days that it will take to get from the states to here after it comes off back order.........
swabio-ACT
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Blurr » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:20 pm

swabio-ACT wrote:
robracer wrote:Yes Russ is right, the rewinds generally come back better than original :D

I ended up getting one from http://www.regulatorrectifier.com as well as the rectifier..... just waiting on the rotor now (http://www.powersportswarehouse.com) .............. then will be back into getting it sorted........... unfortunately the rotor was on backorder from Japan.... also none available in oz.... so figured the massive saving by buying it in the states was worth the extra couple of days that it will take to get from the states to here after it comes off back order.........

be careful with the reg rec and make sure its the correct one. I brought one from them and they made it incorrectly. Looooong story short, it lunched itself inside the engine.

Had to strip the engine down further to get all the shit out. They refunded me the money but it was a bit to little to late.
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr

Postby swabio-ACT » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Blurr wrote:
swabio-ACT wrote:

I ended up getting one from http://www.regulatorrectifier.com as well as the rectifier..... just waiting on the rotor now (http://www.powersportswarehouse.com) .............. then will be back into getting it sorted........... unfortunately the rotor was on backorder from Japan.... also none available in oz.... so figured the massive saving by buying it in the states was worth the extra couple of days that it will take to get from the states to here after it comes off back order.........

be careful with the reg rec and make sure its the correct one. I brought one from them and they made it incorrectly. Looooong story short, it lunched itself inside the engine.

Had to strip the engine down further to get all the shit out. They refunded me the money but it was a bit to little to late.

Cheers for that.... haven't seen much in the way of neg feedback on the net about them, so hopefully your's was an isolated issue.....
swabio-ACT
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby swabio-ACT » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:13 am

Righto... have all the bits to go.... have the bike half apart.... have struck a problem!

I can't get the damn Rotor/flywheel off.... and need a M38 x 1.5 flywheel puller! Anyone have any idea where I can get one at a reasonable price? Preferably in Canberra!
swabio-ACT
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk