vacume

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

vacume

Postby mick12 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:12 pm

i was just wondering if i am missing something a mates bike has round slide smoothe bores and am going to vac set them but in reality i find it hard to understand just how it is possible to get accurate reading with the caps removed if slide wear is different wouldnt they suck air past the slides giving in acurate readings other than bench setting them does one have to remove and replace the caps after each adjustment any one know how its done properly
If it aint broke don't fix it just gain more horsepower
mick12
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Re: vacume

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Mick - balancing carbs is about getting the slides to all lift at the same time - its done at idle speed, you are not lifting the slides in the bore with the throttle so there should be no issue with air-leaks around the slides.

There should be adjusters between the carbie bodies for balancing the slides - you should not have to take the top caps off at all.

Normally you set the adjuster on the 2-3 bodies (in the middle) first, then the adjuster between the 1-2 bodies (on the left) and finally the adjuster between the 3-4 bodies (on the right). Sometimes you may have to go back to the 2-3 adjuster to get the balance *perfect*.

I always use a small fuel tank hooked up on a stand to feed the carbs - fuel tank is taken off the bike so you get access to the adjusters. Use a big fan to keep air blowing over the motor/through the radiator, so it doesn't overheat.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby mick12 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:43 pm

ok gos the info you are giving me relates to cv carbs they are a piece of piss and yes the adjusters are between the carbs i am talking old school mechanical round slides with adjusters under the caps that look like screw and locknut rockers unfortunately i cant take a photo cause some little asshole has jumped the fence during the night and made off with both sets of allen keys which i had sitting on the dog kennel if it had of been a big asshole the could have taken the compressor as well so i cant remove the caps until i buy a new set . i use a 1litre thinners tin hanging from the roof with a breather in the bottom which is the top when hung and i also have an industrial fan which also gets used to keep my stereo gear cool will add a pic if i can find one. ok found pic where is add image i have done images before but cant seem to now
mick12
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby mick12 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 pm

009.jpg
009.jpg (102.25 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
OK image works i am sure the gaskets and caps are not just to keep the bugs out
mick12
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby J.B » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:40 pm

Not played with the smooth bores but I'm quite sure the adjustments with my flat slides are done with the caps off. Each carb is adjusted individually.

If you were worried about the slide wear you can always check the balance again once you have all the carb tops reinstalled. Shouldn't take long to check.

Also, keep in mind that the spec for carb balance is pretty wide (2cmHg for my ZRX, I could usually balance the CVs to within a tenth of that). You should be able to balance the carbs just fine.
"The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
J.B
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk