180/60 rear tyre on 99 ZX9R

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

Re: 180/60 rear tyre on 99 ZX9R

Postby QQQ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:12 am

After consideration I ended up buying another rear Q3.....thought process behind that was that it was the right price ($170 delivered), it meant I have a matching set and when it wears out the front will be toast too so I'll consider a different brand/compound then.

When I looked at the worn tyre I could see the tyre warmers had left their mark all around the tyre. Nice blue overheat lines exactly where the elements sit. After a little internet searching and reading Dunlops blurb etc I've come to the conclusion that the tyres could have overheated as I left the warmers on for a fair while in between sessions. The longest heat cycle coincided with my lairy rear let go in the second session with no real drama's the remainder of the day with the warmers on shorter cycles (apart from the nagging paranoia that the rear was going to let go at any minute lol). I'll post a photo of the tyre when I get a chance for anyone's feedback.

Next track day I'm going to shorten the length of time I have the warmers on for, in fact I may not even use them depending on the weather because these tyres do heat up super quickly anyway, I'll just take it easy for a lap (famous last words lol)
QQQ

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby Jonnymac » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:29 am

Not sure about the searching you've found on the net, and I have no experience with th Q3 but I would be amazed if they were damaged by the tyre warmers.
The only way I could see that happening would be a faulty thermostat or if you have adjustable set points for the warmers and you have it turned up too high.

The whole idea is to keep the tyre at the same temperature all day with no heat cycles.
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Postby EDU » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:43 pm

Jonnymac wrote:Not sure about the searching you've found on the net, and I have no experience with th Q3 but I would be amazed if they were damaged by the tyre warmers.
The only way I could see that happening would be a faulty thermostat or if you have adjustable set points for the warmers and you have it turned up too high.

The whole idea is to keep the tyre at the same temperature all day with no heat cycles.

This! Unless your warmers are faulty (and they could very well be), the whole concept makes no sense.
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby paulsj » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Tyres turning blue is normally just the oil coming out of the rubber which means you have been getting them up to temp. Tyre warmers should be used to minimise the cycles by keeping the warm. Feel your tyre when you take the warmer off I'm sure you can hold your hand on it feel it when you come in from a sesh it will almost burn your hand. I doubt your warmers would kill your tyres. I leave mine on all day untill the last sesh of the day
paulsj
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby z900/zx9 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:41 pm

QQQ wrote:After consideration I ended up buying another rear Q3.....thought process behind that was that it was the right price ($170 delivered), it meant I have a matching set and when it wears out the front will be toast too so I'll consider a different brand/compound then.

When I looked at the worn tyre I could see the tyre warmers had left their mark all around the tyre. Nice blue overheat lines exactly where the elements sit. After a little internet searching and reading Dunlops blurb etc I've come to the conclusion that the tyres could have overheated as I left the warmers on for a fair while in between sessions. The longest heat cycle coincided with my lairy rear let go in the second session with no real drama's the remainder of the day with the warmers on shorter cycles (apart from the nagging paranoia that the rear was going to let go at any minute lol). I'll post a photo of the tyre when I get a chance for anyone's feedback.

Next track day I'm going to shorten the length of time I have the warmers on for, in fact I may not even use them depending on the weather because these tyres do heat up super quickly anyway, I'll just take it easy for a lap (famous last words lol)

My Zx9 seems to like Bridgestone 003 tyres,they are worth shot have been running them with and without warmers for a couple of years now and cant see me changing anytime soon.
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Previous

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk