Muffler re pack

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

Muffler re pack

Postby Cshat » Sun May 04, 2014 7:38 pm

I have a 350mm carbon muffler on my z750, I'm after info on re packing it, what do I use? Should I do It? Should I pay someone to do it,
I love all bikes, but the naked ones get me going
Cshat
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Z750
State: Queensland

Re: Muffler re pack

Postby Zx10R0007 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Hello I am James - 1st i want to know why You feel You need to re-pack it. Because unless its a very cheaply Made slip-on
You would expect to get 5 years Before any need to do so. However if Your wanting to lower the Db. out put then - Yes
Go ahead its relatively Easy! First You need to remove the End cap that slips about 40mm internally to the main Body of the Silencer. To remove Your going to need a drill with a 1/8th' Drill bit ( presuming Your Rivets are this size) And however many Rivets you remove/Same sized in Stainless steel. For packing Find a local Manufacturer of fibreglass Gear ( Boats ,surfboard etc.) And Buy Yourself about 1m of 10-Oz Fibreglass Fabric. This is Your new Packing. After Drilling out the Rivets - with
A bit of Gentle/but Firm force , the end cap will slide out. Now You can see the core of the can & How much or little packing You do actually have. Now roll up the Fibre glass matt into a size that is as thick to pack out the width between the core & the can! Cut the thick roll into about 200mm x 100mm Wadding that You can - with a large Screw driver pack ,
to the bottom of the can and fill the entire area around the central core With Your new Wading ! When packed tightly ,
Your done . Now Push your end cap back Home - and re-rivet .... Your done !
Zx10R0007

Bike: ZX10R

Re: Muffler re pack

Postby Cshat » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Thanks for the tips, but I figure I'm up for a change anyway, I will just buy a new muffler, for your info my muffler is a delkevic 350mm carbon slip on I brought from cunungra, on the GC,
safe and fun riding
Cheers
I love all bikes, but the naked ones get me going
Cshat
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Z750

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk