07 zx6r valve cover gasket

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

07 zx6r valve cover gasket

Postby Steve135 » Sat May 03, 2014 3:38 am

G'day I've got a 07 zx6r & the rocker/ valve cover is leaking on the left hand side. I've read this was a common problem with this model. Anyone know how long I'm likely to get out of the new one when I replace it also is there anything else I should replace while I'm there. Eg seals. Thanks
Steve135

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: 07 zx6r valve cover gasket

Postby tim » Sat May 03, 2014 7:58 am

Hey and welcome! How many k's has your bike got on it?
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Steve135 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:06 am

18000k's
Steve135

Postby bjn_42 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:31 pm

Steve135 wrote:18000k's

You can get as many k's out of it as you like. Just remember to keep the oil topped up.
Your ambition outweighed your talent
bjn_42
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Queensland

Postby tim » Tue May 06, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi!

It's come back to me! For our bike it's a recall which Kawasaki re-badge as something like an "authorised dealer repair". About 3 years ago mine started leaking. I called the local Kawasaki dealer dealer and confidently told them it was a known issue and it was a Kawasaki warranty/authorised repair. They took Vin and called back it was approved by K.A. (If one dealer denies your request try another, you never know. It's a pain in the ass for a busy dealership mechanic because K.A. don't pay well, but work is work if they're quiet ;) ). While I was having the work done I also had the valve clearances adjusted and asked them to have a gander at valves etc because of some talk on the net of 07 engines lunching themselves, cost me an extra $100 labour plus a couple of shims or whatever, that's why I asked how many k's your bike had.

From memory it's a gasket kit with 2-3 parts which they change out.

HTH
Tim.
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby tim » Tue May 06, 2014 4:17 pm

A few posts from other forums:

"ATTENTION: all who have a 2007 and 2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R. There has been a recall issued on this bike for the valve cover gasket. Kawasaki has been quiet about this from what I have heard. When I went to have my oil changed the tech told me about the recall. The tell-tale sign that your bike is effected is there is oil seapage around the valve cover gasket. Kawasaki is paying for this repair but it has to be formally filed at an authorized dealer. I hope I helped some of you. My bike is going in next weekend to have the gasket replaced. They said something about a Top end seal kit.

Good Luck, and stay safe. "

This one from a service manager at a US Dealership:

"There is a "Factory Authorized Repair" from Kawi on this. Just got announced in the last few weeks but it is a problem we have seen for some time. Kawi has an updated valve cover gasket that has a different sealing surface as well as the 6 o-rings on top of the valve cover available as a kit for the repair to be done FREE OF CHARGE by any authorized Kawi dealer. If anyone has an issue with this I'd be happy to help out. Please give me a call and we can set something up. "
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Steve135 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:52 am

Thanks heaps Tim I'll give that a go for sure. Your info is what makes sites like this worthwhile. Cheers Steve
Steve135

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk