carb slides and hard lessons

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

carb slides and hard lessons

Postby jd2316 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:47 am

redid the carbs on my zx9 and (as with most things) learned a good lesson the hard way. throwing this out there for anyone who might find it useful. after pulling out the slide diaphrams and inspecting the needle, etc two things are very important when re- assembling. first, there are five little fingers on the plastic buckets that hold the o ring, washer, and needle in place. make sure that the secondary hole in the bottom or the diapham does not get blocked by any of those fingers. When placing the caps back on over the diaphrams, make sure that the diaphrams and the caps are properly seated. this takes a shitload of patience, and after I finally got mine back together at 2 feckin oclock in the morning I thought hey, maybe someone else can use this info. If this isnt done properly, (absolutley perfect in the case of the diaphrams) the bike will run like absolute SHIT and you wont know why. After all, you just cleaned and rebuilt everything, right? So hey, there it is, Hope this helps some poor fucker whos about to ax murder his/her bike.
jd2316

Bike: ZX9R
State: Overseas

Re: carb slides and hard lessons

Postby carnivore » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:10 am

If you can , leave the carb slides out overnight to let the lighter parts of the petrol evaporate out of the Diaphrams. They will shrink and drop in with no fiddling. Saves a lot of frustration.
carnivore

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Re: carb slides and hard lessons

Postby paulsj » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:25 am

I had a similar problem with my 9r where I put a jet kit in it then on second track day after lunch bike suddenly lost Mumbo and sounded off. Turned out #2 carb diaphragm had popped out of the groove and wasn't pulling the slide up. Took a video of it running like this with the airbox off then another after re fitting the diaphragm.

Slide not lifting bike struggles to rev above 5 grand
http://youtu.be/qRqCQQrt0BQ

After reseating the diaphragm bike revving sweetly again
http://youtu.be/yaE9ialaBRU
paulsj
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk