Pitted cams expensive!

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

Re: Pitted cams expensive!

Postby billwest » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:40 am

ZRX: my mechanic says that the hardening is starting to wear off.
He reckons some of my valve clearances were too loose (he expected them to tighten up) because of it.
No pitting though. 67,000km since the regrind.

Bill.
Don't ride as if you own the road.......
Ride as if you own the bike!

ZZR1200 ('02), FJR1300 ('19).
billwest
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1200
State: Western Australia

Postby bonester » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:08 pm

Good to hear Bill. My good ZRX has pitted cams at 60000km, but I didn't notice them at 53000km when I put a valve cover gasket on. My other ZRX has perfect cams at 75000km, but I am sure they have been reground- hotter cams than standard. Have discussed with Kawasaki- they would fix cams if I give to local monkeys, which I won't do. Would rather do the job myself to endure it is done properly. They did a shit job on my ZZR12, AND charged me top dollar for oil, coolant and filter on a warranty job. Haven't returned to their shop since 2005, and I now own six Kawasakis. Ivan Tighe quoted me $530 to regrind cams to whatever grind I wish, and he reckons followers don't need replacement, maybe a light sand- he doesn't grind followers. I am going to ask Kawasaki to pay for the grind but I expect them to say no. My ZRX has a brand new tank, tailpiece and radiator shrouds. Not risking 3 weeks sitting at the dealer in bits while the cams are getting done. I wrap the tank in bubble wrap while it is off.
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Strika » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:42 am

When I sold mine it had around 80k from memory and no pitting. But mine was an S model....which of course means it was much betterer...............
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Previous

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk