Removing DB killers/baffles/silencers from Akrapovic

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

Removing DB killers/baffles/silencers from Akrapovic

Postby StevieD » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:52 am

Hi all,

Hoping that someone can shed some light onto why I'm not able to remove the little old bolt (x4) from my awesome Akrapovics S-K14S03-HZAAT slip-ons, the allen head bolt is being stripped as I try to undo it or am I tightening it I'm not sure as it's not budging at all, all four are the same.....not able to budge them at all.

Anyone have the same exhaust and if so did you have the same trouble??

Cheers
Steve
StevieD
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: ACT

Re: Removing DB killers/baffles/silencers from Akrapovic

Postby Phoenix » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi Steve,
Did you try removing the bolts when bike is cold or hot? If it was cold, try going for a ride and loosen when the system is hot - also another trick, with the system hot, try inserting the alan key and give it a tap with a hammer. Sounds a bit like a butchers job but if there is any locktite on the threads this will help break the seal - remember a TAP, don't belt the living crap out of it.
Cheers
Phoenix
Phoenix

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Postby StevieD » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:21 am

Phoenix wrote:Hi Steve,
Did you try removing the bolts when bike is cold or hot? If it was cold, try going for a ride and loosen when the system is hot - also another trick, with the system hot, try inserting the alan key and give it a tap with a hammer. Sounds a bit like a butchers job but if there is any locktite on the threads this will help break the seal - remember a TAP, don't belt the living crap out of it.
Cheers
Phoenix

I tried removing them when the bike was cold, haven't gotten around to trying them when they're hot but will have a go later in the week, thanks for your reply
StevieD
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby StevieD » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:33 pm

Just a heads up to those people thinking of getting an exhaust (at a good price) from the USA, specifically California, apparently they have tougher exhaust laws there and they actually have to SPOT WELD the baffles in place as it's illegal to have an exhaust without them.

So hence the reason I cannot remove mine!
StevieD
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby EDU » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Weird... I bought the Leo Vince that is on my bike from California and the baffle was removed as soon as I received it.
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

State: New South Wales

Postby StevieD » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:40 pm

both mine and a mates are Akrapovics so possibly only those ones then....no idea really but it explains why I've rounded the bolts trying to get the baffles out
StevieD
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby s man » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:10 am

Nothing is imposable, If it is spot welded in you might need to get a dremel & grind the alan head bolt off. If it in fact just striped, WD40 over night, & with some persistence you will get it .. They sound great without them let me tell ya ! :lol:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby Alleged » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:13 am

The guys in the US and those that import here just grind off the spot weld with a dremel (not the whole allen head). The small bolt then apparently comes away pretty easily.
Alleged

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Postby StevieD » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:24 pm

I bought the exhaust directly off of Ebay from the US so no middleman as such......will have to wait to get them out as the carbon fibre end caps will need to be taken off and redone.
StevieD
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Cshat » Tue May 20, 2014 5:51 pm

StevieD wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Hi Steve,
Cheers
Phoenix

I tried removing them when the bike was cold, haven't gotten around to trying them when they're hot but will have a go later in the week, thanks for your reply

If you do it when hot it will be harder because metal expands when heated, try some good old WD40
I love all bikes, but the naked ones get me going
Cshat
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Z750
State: Queensland

Postby StevieD » Tue May 20, 2014 7:03 pm

Done that and no joy, I'll have to have the carbon ends removed and baffles taken out that way as the bolt have been rounded
StevieD
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Kawawog » Tue May 20, 2014 9:37 pm

I bought my full Arrow comp system from Cali, and the DB killer was packaged seperate :?
Kawawog
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX10R

Postby lifeofcrimeguy » Wed May 21, 2014 10:59 am

StevieD wrote:Just a heads up to those people thinking of getting an exhaust (at a good price) from the USA, specifically California, apparently they have tougher exhaust laws there and they actually have to SPOT WELD the baffles in place as it's illegal to have an exhaust without them.

So hence the reason I cannot remove mine!

Unless you buy the race version. Just got my twobros in the mail. No baffle to be seen (you have to order it separately when buying TBR). I've seen some european pipes that have them rivetted in and advise that you can drill out the rivette to remove the baffle.
See here, young man,
From Walgett to the sea,
From Conroy's Gap to Castlereagh,
There's none can ride like me.

-- Banjo Paterson
LMFAO
lifeofcrimeguy
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk