Synchronising Throttle Bodies

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

Synchronising Throttle Bodies

Postby MrFaulty » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi, Im am going to check (and likely adjust) the valve shims over the break and I was just doing abit of reading on some sites and they say you should sychronise the throttle bodies at the same time. Reading further it sounds like this is a bitch of a joib, needing special tools and computer software. Anyone had this done or done it yourself? any idea what the kawasaki dealer would charge? I was going to strip it down and take it in to have the valves checked anyway.

Thanks
Ben
MrFaulty
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: Synchronising Throttle Bodies

Postby BrettZZR » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:12 am

It's a bit fiddly to do, but not high tech at all. Probably the hardest bit is setting it up so that it can run without the tank in place - harder for you fuel injected guys, not so hard for carbed bikes:

You want to equalise the vacuum in each throttle runner. I used to have a bottle of mercury (explains a few things!) and just put each or the four tubes into that, but now (think of the children!) I use a set-up with diesel, and tee-d them into each other, so you need to equalise each pair of tubes:

One mod I want to do is to put a small (~1mm) jet into each tube to smooth it a bit - the fluid level is a bit jumpy at idle.

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:34 pm

diesel - that's an interesting idea. A few blokes I know who have made up their own manometers use auto trans fluid.

Mercury resists the problem you get at idle with the big fluctuations - but its not something you really want to be dicking around with.

Mr Faulty - do the valve-clearances first, so the engine is pulling the right amount of air through each cylinder. Then do the balance. Not the other way around.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby MrFaulty » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Fantastic, thanks!
MrFaulty
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby mick12 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:49 pm

to dampen the bouncing gauges i use small irrigation taps available from just about any hardware store for about 60 cents each and a couple of polly risers as adaptors on the old suzuki the adapters go into the intake manifolds so the pionty polly adapters screw straight in on the 12 i have 4 vacume hoses in place numbered and pluged just pull them outone side unplug em connect the gauges adjust the taps to dampen piece of piss really i tried to upload pics but its much easier to do the job than resize the photo
Last edited by mick12 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it aint broke don't fix it just gain more horsepower
mick12
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Postby MrFaulty » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks for the reply everyone. Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have it done - I will be stripping it down and checking the valve gaps
MrFaulty
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby greenman43 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:30 am

Another thought, per the FCRs I used to run on the old ZXR, I synced my TBs by eye (bought a spare set, pulled them apart to remove the secondary butterfly shaft and servo, hence they needed syncing). From memory there's a single screw between the two pairs, turn the idle screw right down so that there is a tiny crescent of light under the butterfly,and it's very simple getting a 'close enough' match - 'close enough' for me as the bike is a trackie only, hence a rough idle is not of any concern.

Cheers,
Brian
07 ZX10R track 09 ZX6R road/track 93 ZXR750 race 89 GPZ900 project
Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not be following
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow
Just piss off and leave me alone
greenman43
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby MrFaulty » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:53 am

Hi again. I have just spoken with a mechanic at kawasaki and he said the simplest way is to purchase a vacuum guage - from supercheap ebay etc.

Has anyone adjusted the throttle bodies using one of these and is it fairly straight forward?

Thanks
Ben
MrFaulty
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby bonester » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:39 pm

Nope - you need a specific vacuum guage for a bike- someone I know (ahem) bought 4 car ones years ago with no dampening and the needles jumped around like crazy- of no use at all. Best thing- buy a morgan carbtune- cheap $180 or so last time I checked, and tough- mercury gauges break really easily- had two sets before the morgan. Never again. :shock:
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby kawadave » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:44 pm

As above "Morgan carbtune"...$124.00 oz... delivered from Belfast. http://www.carbtune.com/
Don't knock my turbo lag - it gives your naturally aspirated a chance..

2013 Motogp tipping champ.

83 GPZ 750 Turbo
78 Z1R 1000
80 Z1R Mk11
07 ZRX 1200r
83 GSX1000sd Katana

https://www.youtube.com/user/htmonaro
kawadave
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby MrFaulty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks, just found a bike mechanic who said he'll do it for $100 so might get him to do it and if it makes a notable difference, then I'll buy the correct tool and do it myself next time.

Thanks again
Ben
MrFaulty
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk