Lithium batteries - anybody using them ?

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

Re: Lithium batteries - anybody using them ?

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:31 pm

big thanks :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: to Maximus for sorting out a lithium battery for the barge......FMD its light :shock: but 290 CCA in a box not much bigger than a pair of 50's ciggies boxes.......I am amazed. Am looking forward to seeing how this little jigger goes at cranking over the barge.....

Given the weight of this battery - only 900g or thereabouts - its got me thinking about using these as the base for battery 'packs' in the electric bike - which from here on in will be known as the GPz72v..... :lol:

6 batteries per bank, 6 banks in total - each individual bank wired in parallel, all six hooked up in series - would see 72V @ 10,400 CCA !!! :shock: :shock:

hmmmmm total weight would only be about 36kg including the frame. This is the weight of only 2 large 12V lead-acid AGM batteries....

time to do some more thinking......

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby MAXUMIS » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:15 pm

We may have to send you to the TT next year Gos , with that many CCA's you will break the record without a doubt. :lol: 8)
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R
State: New South Wales

Postby maxi » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:29 am

Sounds like a fun electric bike however total cca would be 6(parallel)x 290=1740cca
:)
maxi
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:10 pm

maxi wrote:....Sounds like a fun electric bike however total cca would be 6(parallel)x 290=1740cca
:).....

yes I got carried away there a bit thinking about massive CCA ! :lol: :lol: 1740 is still pretty cool though......

I fitted the new battery to the 12 today :shock: :shock: well FMfuckenD ! what a difference. The old girl spun over so quickly and started almost instantaneously - once it had warmed up a bit I gave it some good spin-up in idle - and the response seems to be heaps better than it was on the older battery.

I think the life-span of all SLA and old-school wet-cell batteries in the 4th - is extremely limited. Next bike to get the LiFePo conversion will be the Pearl. The MotoBatt fitted to the Pearl is only a couple of years old and even though it still starts the bike OK from cold, it still sounds like the starter motor is struggling a bit. Warm/hot starts no problem.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Previous

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk