:oops: Hope it all goes well for you

Re: ZX6R 05-06 Replacement Chain & Sprockets

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:17 pm

Very nicely done article there!! :kuda:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi,
ok just had a chance to ride the baby after a sprocket change,

Slight problem maybe after doing every thing then riding today i now have a slight winding noise from sounds like front sprocket sort of spools up up when going faster and does go away til stop ,

it was not there when i started but is now
did i mishap some where was thinking i over tighten the front sprocket but i never went and tight back with the breaker bar nor the strength to undo it

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:44 pm

Sounds like the chain might be too tight? & the sprocket will tighten itself to a certain degree because of the direction of rotation.
"Spools up" is a strange way to describe the sound, can you be more specific?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:29 pm

ok loosen the chain a bit last night will give it ago tonight on the way to work. spools as in like winding noise that gets faster as i go faster and louder sounds more from front

sorted loosen chain noise has now left

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:29 pm

just did a chain and rear sprocket change.
but i went down 1 on the front sprocket .
this will give more grunt off the mark but i will loose about 20kmh off the top end speed.
.just a question on undoing the front sprocket.
did you just set the rattle gun to undo.
the thread dirrection is just normal and not left hand thread??
as in righty tighty and lefty lucy!
cloud 9

Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:41 am

cloudnine9 wrote:did you just set the rattle gun to undo.
the thread dirrection is just normal and not left hand thread??
as in righty tighty and lefty lucy!
cloud 9

Thats correct, hence it is always tight due to the direction of travel, set her to reverse & hold on :D

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:10 am

Nice job Rob,

Replace the chain and sprockets on my ZZR600 last monday and wish i'd looked at this before hand...

It was the first time doing the job and made many mistakes in the process :?

The big ones were:
-not taking the front sprocket off while the back wheel was still on...had no rattle gun for the job. I put the bike in gear and had to lock the chain in place so the sprocket wouldn't just spin while i crack the 27mm nut with my ratchet and bar hanging off the end of it for leverage...It worked after much strain and busting my thum a little when it finally let go hehe

-not having a 27mm socket among the big socket set somehow and having to drive my CAR to Lismore Supecheap to get one...It was a pain that dragged out the process time wise.

-I didn't have a chain press so i used multi-grips to push the pins through far enough to be able to spread them out with the hole punch.

I was surprised at how much gunk was under the front sprocket cover, when took it off, but there was only a bit more than yours so must have been normal.

It's done a few hundred k's now so has stretched a bit. I tightened it back up yesterday and it's great. The old chain had stretched a lot, was worn out so the new chain feel lot smoother.

I knew it would take a while doing it the first time with no prior experience but i didn't mind blundering through it cause now i know and it'll be a lot quicker next time :D

While replacing the parts i noticed the rear brake pads were well worn down so have just ordered a full set to do the front and back. Found some on Ebay for $52 for the whole set! that seems real cheap to me. They are HH rated (whatever that means) which looking around this forum a few people seem to like and recommend. So i have a job for next monday. Feel free to post instructions on this also if you've done it before :)

I liked reading this and reliving last monday doing it myself.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:09 pm

same here! it'd be awesome to know NOT only the very basics of maintenance/upgrades but a lil more into intermediate level.
Thanks for the thread ;)

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:37 pm

95ZZR600 wrote:I liked reading this and reliving last monday doing it myself.

Thats a bugga, but hey I went there in the begining, same mistakes & fumbling around..... worst one was cutting the chain at the wrong spot & having to use 2 links..... SCARY!

Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:10 am

Just a quick add, there are plenty of areas at the back of the bike that are hard to clean. Whilst the rear wheel is off, go to town on the inside of the swing arm, rear shock and what you can reach at the back of the gearbox. Also check brake pads and wheel bearings while the wheel is out, might as well knock off as many jobs as possible saving yourself valuable riding time...

**Edit, will be doing mine Sat avo (not a footy fan), and off for a ride Sunday.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Having the right tool for the job is just awesome. I've always made do with a vice and grips to get the chain back together. Well, this time I decided to buy a propper chain tool. It does three jobs; chain breaker, chain joiner and rerivoter. Turned an hour of swearing into just a few minutes of work. Suns out, I'm going for a ride.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Good on you, Rob. I'd encourage every rider to take a hands on interest in the maintenance of their bike.

Replaced the chain and sprockets on my son's mate's CBR250RR this afternoon. Did the front brake discs and pads on my youngest son's FZR250 and my partner's GSX250 last week. Just make sure you have the right tools, folks. And a decent torque wrench is essential. And an easy-out if you're working on Fizzer 250s. They were built before the Japanese discovered carbon steel :( .

If you're reasonably competent, do the work yourself. It's not rocket science, as they say. BUT, if you're not reasonably competent... pay the professionals. Please.

Mon May 23, 2011 8:18 am

DaveGPz wrote:Good on you, Rob. I'd encourage every rider to take a hands on interest in the maintenance of their bike.

Replaced the chain and sprockets on my son's mate's CBR250RR this afternoon. Did the front brake discs and pads on my youngest son's FZR250 and my partner's GSX250 last week. Just make sure you have the right tools, folks. And a decent torque wrench is essential. And an easy-out if you're working on Fizzer 250s. They were built before the Japanese discovered carbon steel :( .

If you're reasonably competent, do the work yourself. It's not rocket science, as they say. BUT, if you're not reasonably competent... pay the professionals. Please.
Easy outs aren't a bad idea on most old bikes. 250s seem worse maybe coz the bits are small. Or just that the riders are younger. Replaced the motor on my ZXR 250 last week. (Found the old one was missing 2 circlips and the Gudgeon pins had made lovely grooves down the bore). Went to clean carbs and found most of the float bowl screw heads were knackered. What a job getting them all out. I will replace them with Hex. Then went to check the plugs and found 1 had a stripped thread. Crap Alloy and ham fisted owners are not a good combo.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm

hi im new and just wondered if everyone has seen the website gearing commander, its one of the best sites on the new, load your bike then see what difference changing the tire size gearing etc, even tells how many links needed and sprocket wear when changing gearing.

i had a -1 on the front on my 05 636. makes a bit of difference makes it anoying on long rides tho. now i have a +5 on the rear also but havnt had a chance to test it out...

what chain is everyone using. i have just a non o-ring chain but not sure if thats a bit of a problem, the bike was just a drag bike but was thinking about putting it back on the road not sure if the chain will wear out after 10mins or what...-1 and +5 might be a bit much on the street anyways...
Post a reply